PDA

View Full Version : having trouble opening pages

contradiction
24-04-2005, 08:07
HELP!!!!!!! Can someone tell me what is going on? Two days this week I have logged on, and every link I click on, I wait, and wait, and wait, then I get a "page not found" error. If anything actually loads. After two or three tries, I manage to go to a different page than I am trying to, and then I can start over, and go where I want, but once I get there, I am stuck there. Unable to load any other page.

Moongold
27-04-2005, 08:10
Contradiction ~

I have also had these troubles, but with other sites as well as Aeclectic, more often with other sites in fact.

I get "page not found" messages or "open in another window?" messages.

I have wondered whether it is something to do with my "blocking" software - anti pop ups and so on.

Also in the last few weeks have had many problems with virus infection. I use AVG and keep it constantly updated. It seems to pick them up and heal them. I do a complete scan every morning now.

The viruses are mainlyTrojans and other "downloader" viruses. The regular things I have in the mornings are a local newspaper , Aeclectic and another tarot forum through Yahoo.

I have wondered whether there is some connection between the fire wall stuff (not even sure what a firewall is) and the difficulty in opening pages. Maybe a geeky person could comment.

Moongold

Imagemaker
27-04-2005, 08:21
Can only say that I'm behind firewalls both at home and at work and have had no problems with AT (ducking thrown items).

Now that I've helped not at all . . .

contradiction
27-04-2005, 23:46
I'm afraid that it is just because I have a slow dinasour dial up connection. Where I live, it will be at least another 5-10 years before we can get anything else. Except satelite-internet, (at $600.00 just for the equipment).

Grigori
28-04-2005, 00:04
First I will get the joke out of the way...

Contradiction, why are you trying to "open pages"? The pages, like any other card, are not meant to be opened :D (lame I know, but at first I didn't realise this was the tech forum, and thought "huh...?")

Sounds like a virus to me. You should update your virus software and do a full system scan (the long version).

Also here is a free spy-ware tracking program that will sniff out problems that a virus scanner may not (e.g. data miners, redirectors, etc..)
http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69274&subj=dlpage&tag=button

The going to strange pages and geting stuck there sounds very much like a spy program. The nature of the sites your getting directed to may shed some light on the problem also ;)

I'm afraid that it is just because I have a slow dinasour dial up connection. Where I live, it will be at least another 5-10 years before we can get anything else. Except satelite-internet, (at $600.00 just for the equipment).

Can you not get broadband via your phoneline? My area (despite being in the centre of a capital city) has no cable yet as its a new estate, so my broadband modem plugs into my phone line. Of course if you get a faster connection you must get the shiny new virus protection and a firewall (which is a program that stops things coming into or leaving your computer unless you know about it)

Good luck.

contradiction
28-04-2005, 03:22
Similia, I live so far out in the country, that we only got touch-tone phones, about 10 years ago. The phone company does not have us scheduled for DSL, for at least 5 years. There is no cable here at all. It is 20 miles to the nearest town of any size, so unless I want to shell out a bunch of money for satellite-internet, I am just S.O.L.

Kaylee Marie
28-04-2005, 07:16
I've had this problem on occasion, but had just assumed that AT's server was being temporarily overrun. Too many people accessing a forum or submitting posts all at once can cause a site to slow down or become 404 temporarily. Usually if I come back a few minutes or hours later everything is fine again.

BTW, I'm on a super-high speed T1 line with firewall and have no virus problems, so that can't be the issue, at least not for me. I know I have other issues, but that's another story... :D

Moongold
28-04-2005, 08:43
Sometimes I also have to press the "submit" button several times before the post will post.

Not sure this is a problem with my system or the server. I have broadband.