Which Music Do You Enjoy With Which Tarot?

TheLovers2

I have found that certain music selections go well with certain Tarot decks, than with others.

My recent discovery is that the Intuitive (Cilla Conway) works very well with the selection "Swallowed" by Bush from the soundtrack to The Jackal (movie with Bruce Willis). I've tried it with a few other decks, but, they are not in sync. I may have another deck that flows with this particular selection, but, haven't found it yet. Will post if I do.

Actually, there have been quite a few couplings of music/Tarot decks, that I have enjoyed, but, just now thought to post about it. Will post them later if they come to mind and any new "couplings." Of course, I'm one of those people who thinks that the right music can enhance just about anything. I rarely drive without listening to music.

How about you? What's your favorite tune to listen to with a particular deck? Also, I'm sure the decks like more than one song, and we can glean a little extra inspiration when we join them, but, it has to be the right music, which of course, is totally subjective.

Note: I usually listen to music when spending "quality time" with a deck or when examining a Reading/layout for myself. I don't tend to listen to music so much when I'm concentrating on a Reading for someone else. At least it is not my practice.

So, fellow, ATF members, let me hear it for the song/music your Thoth enjoys, your Marseilles, your World Spirit, your Spiral, Gilded, Golden, Prague, RW, ETC., ETC!

TL2 :TLOVE

Fairawen

*lol*

What's funny is, I have yet to own a real deck. I make mine. So, kinda hard to say for me. Depends more on the reading.

But, however, I know what you're talking about. I can match up songs with decks right now actually. I mean, Dragon would proabably mix well with HP or LOTR soundtracks (of which I both own, so I'm picking them) where something like Quest would need something more techno based, It's a Fine Day by Miss Jane. Actually, Quest and Miis Jane would mix perfectly. *lol*

That's all I can think of at any rate. I usually listen to Charlotte Church's "Enchantment" CD when doing a read. I've come to relate the 9 of Pentacles to
"The Flower Duet". Then I go off and pair the 7 of Wands to something like Faint by Linkin Park. *lol* I have adverse taste in music.

~Fairawen~

mike gorth

I don't really listen to music in my spare time. I care a lot for silence because it is so rare. Have you ever experienced a moment of true silence??? I've only gotten close. Anyway, I've never thought a tarot deck could 'like' something. I think it's more on how you respond to the cards and the music. Maybe that's what you're saying. I got the feeling you thought the cards would give you better readings with different songs. Since you are, like me, from Chicago, I sometimes listen to "Oldies 104.3 WJMK Chicago!" I had to sing the song. Such (pause) a good station.

Mike Gorth

Grigori

This is SOOOO weird. I live my life with music on. I infact think I was born to have my own soundtrack :D but I never have music on when I read... :confused:

I've never given it any thought before. I guess its like a conversation. I would rather pay full attention to the cards, than be distracted by the music (and certainly I think my interpretations would be drastically changed by having music on as I'm so sugesstable to music).

Anything with lyrics is completely out as I would be inclined to sing :D. I like to listen to baroque instrumental music when concentrating, perhaps that would not be so bad. Although my reading may take on a melancholy repetitive tone ;)

Thanks for the thread TheLovers2

MareSaturni

I think both the deck i use and the music i choose to listen during the read depend on my overall mood. When i'm angry, i like something that allow me either to vent or to calm down...and i like to use my Thoth Tarot, don't ask me why ;)

So...the combinations vary. A lot. I'm an eternal music-lover and i cannot imagine my life without it.

~Yuko

danieru_X

I cant listen to music and concentrate on the cards, i need full focus to think properly and get a clear result. just my opinion im sure some people are far different.

Ilithiya

Let's see... for my main decks at the moment:

Archeon Tarot + Diablo II Soundtrack
Intl Icon + Oingo Boingo & type
Art Nouveau Myers + Enigma
Secrets Tarot, Mage: The Ascension + nine inch nails

I'm always listening to something, even if it's white noise from a TV in another room put on mute. Total silence drives me bonkers; I'm one of those people who absolutely needs something in the background to block out.

Illy

Fairawen

similia said:
Anything with lyrics is completely out as I would be inclined to sing :D.

What's weird is... when I lost myself in the music, and begin singing while I shuffle, I have better results. Infact, when I have music on and DON'T sing is when I have weird results. Flowing with the music helps my subconcious to flow as well I suppose. Not sure!

Anyway, singing works well when I'm shuffling, but I kinda block out the music when I'm studying the cards. I think too hard. It's backround music. :)

Maybe this is just because I'm a teenager...

~Fairawen~

P.S. Hey, this is my 200th post! Yay me! In only three weeks too... not bad...!

gollog

I'm a bit like Similia, I am always listening to music except when studying (tarot or other). I cannot always concentrate when music is playing.

Rogan

Hey guys ~

Interesting subject! Last night at I did a few readings for friends at a dinner party I went to - Went into a seperate room and chucked on "The House Of Flying Daggers" CD - Absolutely perfect - A night of wine, good friends and good music.

I think the music was perfect, and would definitely go for something like that again if I ever felt the need to "set the mood"...

Rogan.