Weak position/strong position?

Sophie

I am a baby when it comes to astrology - but a curious one. I have read in several threads mentions of weak and strong placements for planets or even the sun sign (e.g. "there might be a strong mars but a weak sun placement"). For instance I have often been told I have a strong Mars in Scorpio and a strong Moon in Sagittarius. What does this mean? How do you determine strength and weakness of planet placement? Does that also mean there are strong and weak links between planets in a single chart, or between two charts, or strong and weak transits because of your natal placement?

Thanks!

dadsnook2000

Strength is a curious thing

There are several "strengths" that are used by astrologers. The classical astrologer would say that a given body in a given sign was strong; Sun in Leo, Jupiter in Sag or Saturn in Libra for instance. These kind of strengths were defined over many centuries based on classical (Greek) and later middle-ages and 16-19th century writers and practitioners.

Some astrologers would say that astrological bodies that are angular in a chart (mid-12th house through 1st house, for example) are strong and all others are much less influential -- as a general rule.

Planets having tight major aspects are considered strong. What is tight? Oh, that varies. But perhaps an aspect within a couple of degrees might be considered as tight.

And then, there is the "strength" that can't be defined by a simple placement or aspect or formula but which is seen by the practiced astrologer during his or her synthesis of a chart -- the one or two planets that may play a role in understanding how the whole person uses the whole chart. So, you have some answers, but like all astrological answers they are only half-way explanations. The rest of the question always gets answered "later." Dave.

isthmus nekoi

Just to add to Dave's explanation, "strong" doesn't necessarily mean beneficial. It just means the energy is more prominent for better or worse. My Neptune is not strongly placed and I'm pretty glad of it. You could also have a strongly placed planet making challenging aspects which also could not be beneficial. Imagine Pluto strengthened by a conj to ASC - then square moon. Ouch!

I'm not sure however, what you mean by a weak link. Do you mean something considered "challenging" like a Saturn-Venus square which would restrict Venus' love and affection?

As for strong/weak transits, again, not sure what you mean - certainly the nature of the transit is dependent on the natal placement of that planet. For example, strong Saturn energy in my chart alters the way I would experience Saturn transits as opposed to someone w/a weak Saturn.

Sophie

Thanks Dave and Isthmus!

I don't know what I mean by weak links and transits - these are just expressions I have read and not understood and wondered if someone might enlighten me.

I can see how a strong planet placement is not necessarily beneficial - just dominant.

Dave, when you say "astrological bodies that are angular in a chart" - do you mean two or more bodies in relation to each other? Likewise for a tight major aspect?

dadsnook2000

Bodies

I used that term to suggest any of the "planets" -- the Sun or Moon, the actual planets Mercury thru Pluto? or the asteroids or any of the minor planets (of which Pluto and Chiron seem to be), or any of the Uranian planets that are hypothetical but seemingly appropriate. What ever you use.

I tend to use only Sun thru Pluto, N. Node, Asc. and MC as a rule. I virtually never use asteroids, for example, even though Marth Lang Wescott is an old and valued friend who writes about and advocates them. On the other hand, I have use Uranian "planets" which are totally make-believe with great effect and dependability. Go figure. Dave.

isthmus nekoi

Hey there Helvetica,

If you were inquiring as to the definition of "angular", it means any planet conj one of the major angles, ASC, MC, DC and IC.