PDA

View Full Version : How to 'work' with crystals?

Red Emma
05-05-2005, 09:12
The discussion of opals triggered this thread, and since it concerns working with all crystals, I thought it should have its own discussion.

A few weeks ago I attended a workshop at a local New Age shop in which the qualities of a rare African crystal were demonstrated. The crystal, whose name I can't think of at the moment, cost $399 for a piece about the size of my thumb nail.

During the evening, the presenter had us hold our piece (each of us had one crystal for the evening) while he led a guided meditation. Among the things we were to do was to inhale the essence of the stone, then project it to someone who needed healing. I followed along, although I was -- at that time -- still on the fence about the efficacy of crystals. At the end of the evening, we returned our stones.

About two hours later I was still feeling the effects -- full of confidence, empowered, dignified. It took me a few minutes to realize that the crystal, itself, had brought that effect.

John, the shop owner, had told us that among other things that particular crystal is helpful in breaking dependence on drink -- and maybe drugs, although I don't specifically remember his saying that. From the feelings it engendered in me, I can see that a drug-dependent person could, instead of getting another drink or tracking down the nearest drug salesman, just use that crystal as John showed us. In the world of drug- and alcohol-dependency, I suspect a $400 crystal would be quite cost effective as a substitute.

Anyhow! My question is, has anyone in this group used stones in meditation in this way? I wish I could remember the whole of his guided thingee, but I only remember inhaling its essence. I'd like to try it with an amethyst I have, but I'm more than a little leery of messing around with occult things I don't completely understand.

tarotbear
05-05-2005, 14:51
Not sure what your comment about about a $400 crystal being cost effective is supposed to mean - that instead of buying thousands of dollars of drugs they could cure themselves with a $400-a-thumbnail-sized stone? :confused:

People who spend $$$ on drugs or alcohol are not going to spend their precious money for that drug or alcohol on a piece of rock.

***that rather obtuse comment aside - I would suggest your try to find books of crystal healing and crystal meditations on the market. Way back in the late 1980s when 'newage' {rhymes with sewage} was coined there were bunches of them ... not sure what is available anymore.

cybercat
05-05-2005, 21:26
Hello Red Emma,

I work with crystals and stones with my healing and in meditation. One thing, the crystal for that much is what the guy selling them wants it is not what they are really worth. It was probably just a regular quartz crystal or stone. I have seen this before when I went to a new age conferance. It is a trick of the mind. Yes, crystal can help with meditation and can help heal problems. Keyword help. I suspect your meditation had more to do with your feeling two hours later than the crystal by itself. A good cleansing meditation will feel like that. There is a thread here in the crystal section that has some books listed. Mine are older. One of my authors now has out a crystal ball and scrying book. Ulma Shelby she also had out I am not sure if it still out a very good crystal working book. One if you can find it I would recomend. I do not use the big crystals most of mine are 2 to 4 inches long and work fine.

The trick this guy used is really well used by many of these folks. They tell you what will hapen before it happens so your mind is all ready programed to make it happen. It is subtle but it works real well as you found out. I first came across the when a guy was selling his charkra alinment pendants for 100 dollars. He had us wear them telling us the would increase our strenght and those that were wearing watches to remove them for the watches decreased our strenght. Something about the digital timing in the watch. Well, it worked because we expected it too and that is the only reason it did. Later I was able to repeat the experiance and it did not work. So it is a mind of matter thing. If you hear it and want to belive it it will work.

Cat

Bluemanticore
05-05-2005, 22:33
RedEmma,

Crystals are merely tools. Any crystal can be used for any goal you want. It is all a matter of how you feel about it. True, some crystals seem to be used to reach certain goals by the majority of people, but that does not limit their abilities. What is written in books and told by people about how certain stones are used for certain things is not written in stone ;) . They are merely guidelines. What you achieved with that rare African crystal can be achieved with your amethyst if that is what you want. The stones, herbs, etc. are just tools to help guide you to your goal.

Why bother with more than one stone then? Because having a certain stone for a certain goal helps one focus better, I would say. And for some reason, certain stones are found by the majority to help one achieve certain goals better than others. This can't be explained, it's a matter of faith in the magic, acceptance of that which we imagine to be true, but that which we cannot prove.

On an interesting side note, amethyst tends to be found to be good for helping with alcohol problems. It all comes from the myth of how amethyst was created. Myths and legends tend to explain how the masses find certain stones should be used for certain things, but as I said, they are only guidelines, not restrictions.

I hope I haven't just rambled and you find this helpful. :)

BlueManticore

Netzach
05-05-2005, 23:37
Different stones do have different properties because they have different energies. For example, amethyst can be used for cleansing, rose quartz will calm the atmosphere, Chinese fluorite aids intuition . . . and so on.

If you want to meditate with a stone just hold it in your hands and allow yourself to sink into it, see it as a light which slowly surrounds you and just observe how that energy affects you. If you're choosing a stone in a crystal store, run your hand over them - about an inch or so above - and see whether you feel anything. You may be surprised. The sensation may be pleasant or, very occasionally, not so pleasant. I remember a friend buying a particular crystal (I don't remember what it was) which really spoke to her but, when she passed it round for several of us to have a look at, it bit us - literally, a sharp shock passing through the hand holding it. She worked with it for a bit, after which it became more friendly to other people!

Don't think of working with crystals as occult, because that has connotations of "nasty". Crystals are natural and their properties, too, are quite natural. We just need to learn to use them correctly. But you will come to no more harm doing a simple meditation with a crystal than doing a meditation in any other way. And rememember that, if a crystal "speaks" to you, it doesn't matter if if costs 50c - it's just as valuable to you as one costing hundreds of dollars.

My interest in crystals began some years ago when I was doing a series of radio programmes on complementary therapies. Each week we got a therapist into the studio and he or she'd demonstrate the therapy on one of our team while I asked questions. One week we had a crystal therapist. All went well until she started to get her crystals out for the treatment, when suddenly there was a little cry from the producer over the intercom: "What are you doing in there? All the dials in here are going beserk!" After a few minutes, all the instruments went dead and they had to record the programme without them, just hoping that the sound levels were OK. And once the crystals had been put away again at the end of the programme, everything started working again. They're powerful things!!

Netzach

Silverkitten
06-05-2005, 03:31
Have to agree with Netzach here folks. Not all crystals are created equal. They each have their own unique qualities and energies. Scientists haves studied them for years and found them to have different vibrational frequencies. Thus they have different levels of healing and other power or energy depending on how they were formed in the earth. Some can be used to emit electricity and even sound.

They are not anything evil or occultish. Some of them come right out of your own back yard. Some are used in modern equipment (ultrasound machine) that you will find in your local hospital. They come from nature, and are used for the benefit of mankind.

Everything in/on this earthly plane is made up of energy. Crystals are beneficial for helping to realign the energy fields of our bodies, opening energy blockages, and maintaining a healthy aura which is much like an electrical fence immune system if you will.
Nothing to be afraid of. Just good natural medicine that is also used by western medicine, and science for many other things not medical. You would be surprised at all the common uses for crystals in manufacturing.

Blessings,
Donna

tarotbear
06-05-2005, 15:26
In the middle of writing my last post I got interrupted and lost my train of thought {Here, train! Here, train!}.

I have several plastic storage boxes - ones that look like tackle boxes - of many stones and crystals I collected for doing 'stone layouts.' They were fun to do and did achieve some effects from using them.

However, the best thing is still a decent-sized clear quartz point (hard to come by these days.) You can 'do' anything with a clear point, even reprogram it to do what you need. $400 for a tiny rock is a sackful of crap. There is some Rutger Hauer (sp?) movie where he is hiding in a Newage shop and the clerk tries to sell him this rather nice but small crystal about the size of a small hen's egg. "It's a Life-flow existance waiting to happen!" (or some similar tripe.) Then she tells him the stone is $1500 !!!!!

Armed with two thumb-sized clear points, I have been able to do many things, including kill pain from Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in others. It's easy to do, but it takes a lot of concentration and focus, and you have to be experienced in 'grounding yourself out' at the end of the session.

Emeraldgirl
06-05-2005, 16:02
I am currently studying gemmology and there are stones out there that in raw crystal form would be worth that much such as ideal quality alexandrite, sapphire, ruby, diamond, tanzanite etc however these stones are usually snapped up by cutters the second they leave the mine and so they don't remain raw and uncut for very long (but they look so pretty when finished :) ). Of the stones mentioned above all can be found in Africa although for some it is not the best quality deposits of that stone.

Ok gemmology lesson over I also agree with Netzach that different crystals do have different uses but clear quartz which a few people have mentioned here is fantastic for a healer as they can be used to subsitute stones that you can't find/afford and also they can be charged to be what you want them to be. I would recommend getting a clear quartz crystal that you use specifically for meditation you will most like get the same results at a fraction of a cost.

Silverkitten
06-05-2005, 17:11
Yes, yes, absolutely. Tarotbear, and Emeraldgirl are correct.
Go to a quality rick shop and find yourself a few nice clear crystal points, a double terminated one would be great too if they have one and it is affordable if not don't worry about it.

I have lots of these, and pick them up whenever I find them, as one can never have too many clear crystals. I've seen them in all kinds of prices from 25 cents on up depending on the size.

They can be substituted for anything as long as you program it with the intended use. While you are cleansing them, visualize what you intend to use them for. And you can meditate with them and visualize them achieving the intended purpose too.

A clear crystal will attune itself to the specific energy requirements of the person needing healing. Since it contains all the colors of the spectrum it works on all levels, spiritual, mentally, and physically.
In my opinion, this is the crystal of all crystals. You can't go wrong with a few of these.

Blessings,
Donna

Red Emma
07-05-2005, 07:16
Don't think of working with crystals as occult, because that has connotations of "nasty". Crystals are natural and their properties, too, are quite natural.

Actually, the sad thing is, 'occult' only means 'hidden.' It's come to have unpleasant associations because early Christian leaders decided that all things 'hidden' were evil. And taught their congregations to leave them alone. Along the way, a few 'witches' were burned, which really sent the message home.

Occult knowledge is as much a part of our Universe as penicillan (drat, can't spell worth a darn today), or such homely things as dish washing soap. Only recently have some of us begun to explore the field and find out what's really there. Like any other 'tool' the occult can be used for nefarious purposes as well as beneficial. I see knowledge of the uses of crystals as 'hidden' in the same way. Most people, including the guy I've been living with for 58 years, think anyone who thinks that a piece of rock can affect one's health, mood, etc. is seriously missing a few brain cells.

Fascinating story about your radio work. I wish such programs were available in our area.

Red Emma
07-05-2005, 07:22
Not sure what your comment about about a $400 crystal being cost effective is supposed to mean - that instead of buying thousands of dollars of drugs they could cure themselves with a $400-a-thumbnail-sized stone? :confused:

Sorry, Tarot Bear. I should know by now to not make such blanket statements. Maybe...if I live long enough ......

Red Emma
07-05-2005, 07:27
If you want to meditate with a stone just hold it in your hands and allow yourself to sink into it, see it as a light which slowly surrounds you and just observe how that energy affects you. Netzach

Ah, Netzach, this is the information I'd hoped to find. You're a living doll. Maybe a rose quartz living doll.

Netzach
07-05-2005, 19:19
Diverging slightly from the topic of crystals, of course you are right, Red Emma, about the true meaning - or should I say, the derivation - of the word "occult". Unfortunately, like so many other words in current usage (gay, wicked, cool . . . to name but a few) the present day meaning is quite different from the original and whereas some words have also retained their original meaning, I do think that "occult" has had such a bad press that it may be better not to use it. The Tibetans speak of "hidden" teachings - perhaps we should follow suit.

Netzach

Gaby
07-05-2005, 22:29
"Hidden teachings"! I love that, it's perfect! And very suitable **
I vote for "hidden teachings"!

Red Emma
08-05-2005, 05:14
Unfortunately, like so many other words in current usage ... the present day meaning ... (of occult) ... is quite different from the original ... I do think that "occult" has had such a bad press that it may be better not to use it. Netzach

Here's where we part company, Netzach. Occult is a lovely word, and I
intend to continue using it. As a matter of fact, most of the people I know as well as the mainstream media still use it in it's original guise. Perhaps there's a difference in American and British usage.

Netzach
08-05-2005, 06:49
That's interesting. I think you could be right about the British/American difference. Maybe the British were too much influenced by Aleister Crowley and by the novels of Dennis Wheatley whose books were all on "occult" themes - and those practising the occult were always the bad guys. (I loved those books when I was in my teens!) However, now that I come to think of it, we do use occult to mean "hidden" in a medical context - occult blood, for example (blood you can't see but have to test for, eg in urine). But that's getting onto another tack entirely!

Netzach

tarotbear
08-05-2005, 15:38
Here are some books from my 'crystal section' of my bookshelf:

Crystal Healing: The Next Step by Phyllis Galde ISBN 0-87542-246-2
The Crystal Handbook by Kevin Sullivan ISBN 0-451-15491-6
Focus on Crystals by Edmund Harold ISBN 0-345-34584-3
Crystal Awareness by Catherine Bowman ISBN 0-87542-058-3

and the Triolgy by Katrina Raphaell:
Crystal Enlightenment ISBN 0-943358-27-2
Crystal Healing ISBN 0-943358-30-2
The Crystalline Transmission ISBN: 0943358-33-7

You may be able to track some of these online as used paperback books.

****edited to add:

Crystal Love by Connie Church ISBN 0-394-75786-6 (so-so book, but the one that got me into crystals). She also has one called Crystal Clear which I never read.

The Complete Crystal Guidebook by Uma Silbey ISBN 0-553-34499-4 . She also has tapes for crystal meditations available.

Bluemanticore
08-05-2005, 22:19
Just want to add one book to Tarotbear's list. A must-have in my opinion is "Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Crystal, Gem, and Metal Magic." This book is the foundation of all my stone spellwork. It is very well researched and organized.

MoonGypzzy
04-07-2005, 07:01
I started meditating last June....and the very first time I did this meditation I used stones. I chose to use the ones that depict each color of the chakras. As I held the stones in my hands I would say ohm....3 times or more. Well this experience was very unique from what I understsand bcuz during this meditation and any time I meditated I always saw images almost like movies to be exact. I cant begin to tell you how amazing these images were. I saw Egyptian images as well as images of Jesus..etc. I also saw my third eye for the first time and learned how to tell whether it had opened or not. I also had burnings in my hands for hours after....So I then decided to carry my stones in my bra. It was very helpful for me to do this..in order to make a connection with them. I love my stones dearly and have the cutest pouch I carry them in. I'd like to say my favorite of them all is my lapis lazuli ..woo hoo..its gorgeous. lol...The one problem I did run into tho...is the tingling I get on the back of my head. I have no clue what it is..or why it happens. But it happens often and its almost like I have a magnet in my head.Im not crazy lol ...has anyone ever had this occur...the tingles??

Netzach
04-07-2005, 07:44
The one problem I did run into tho...is the tingling I get on the back of my head. I have no clue what it is..or why it happens. But it happens often and its almost like I have a magnet in my head.Im not crazy lol ...has anyone ever had this occur...the tingles??

Yes - it frequently happens if I'm using my hands for healing. A number of healers who I know get it as well. It's simply a sensation of energy flow and an easy way to get rid of it is to hold your arms out in front of you and then shake your hands vigorously. But it won't do you any harm - and it gives a whole new meaning to "getting a buzz" out of something!

I really envy you your visualisations. How wonderful. Only once or twice have I received really vivid pictures. I agree with you about lapis - it's a truly beautiful stone. Do you find that any one stone is better than another to meditate with?

MoonGypzzy
04-07-2005, 13:09
Hi Netzach...I just saw ur message:)..

Well my normal method is to take all of the stones that represent each chakra and any other stone I have in my collection....and divide them up into each palm. And then meditate with those stones, so at any given time I could be meditating with abt 5-12 stones.And, in the very beginning when I first started meditation..I did all kinds of things with the stones as I kept my eyes closed. On a few occasions I took the stones in my hands and inhaled them...and I know that sounds crzy..lol. But I kind of just did what I felt...and went with the flow of things.Another method I tried was sleeping with each stone at a time. When I did that with my red jasper I distinctly recall the moment I closed my eyes... thats when I saw the images of jesus. I wasnt asleep at all at that moment. Ill tell u one scary moment tho, once when I meditated with my stones I saw a fetus....and it took me right out of the meditative state.Also one other thing...when I first started meditation...I meditated for at least 2 hrs at a time or more.Altho, my fiance wasnt very happy with me abt that lol.

Since I've done this my dreams are very vivid and enhanced. It has definitely opened me up for communication with Spirit.

I'm so glad you explained to me why I get those tingles. Sometimes its extremely overbearing and its not a headache but its just like u said...a buzzing. Ill tell u all the stones I have...clear quartz, rose quartz, jade, tiger eye, blue lace,red jasper,snowflake obsidian,bloodstone,moonstone. I have more but dont recall the names...eww that sounds bad lol...I did try to look up one in particular that I have bcuz last year I read about it and it says that if u lightly rub it while meditating..u will see images from it. Sorry for rambling on...it's just that I am really into meditation and my stones (altho I dont recall all their names..lol).

So can u tell me if or when my hands are burning does that mean I can actually heal someone of an ailment?

Ok enuff of my talking here lol...hope to hear back from u soon..:)

Netzach
04-07-2005, 19:02
So can u tell me if or when my hands are burning does that mean I can actually heal someone of an ailment?

Most people can hand-heal. It's a skill we are born with but that only a few of us realize. The important thing to remember is that you, the healer, are only acting as a channel for the healing energy which is drawn in through the crown chakra and flows out through your hands.

Before you start trying to heal, you should protect yourself - with your forefinger draw on your solar plexus chakra a circle and, inside it, an equal armed cross. That will seal your solar plexus and prevent any "nasties" from getting in (also useful to do this if you're going into a confrontational situation of any kind). Then just stretch your hands out over your patient (don't actually touch him/her) and move them around. You will probably feel the area that needs treating because you will get a tingling or warmth or coldness in your hands when they're over the appropriate spot. Then just hold your hands there and be aware of the energy flow. You'll find, in fact, that your hands take over and you become automatically aware of what to do. Very often, the patient will also feel some sensation as you work - either the same sensation that you're feeling or, sometimes, the opposite - ie. heat if you're feeling cold or vice versa. When you've finished, shake your hands vigorously (not near anybody) to get rid of the excess energy and then wash your hands.

Your experiences with crystals are fascinating. I seldom get very much reaction from crystals but, a while ago, a friend had just bought a rather beautiful small green globe (I can't remember what the crystal was) and was showing it to three of us. We each held it in turn - and it bit us! Seriously, we each felt a sharp electric shock through our hands and had to hand it on rapidly to the next person. And then we noticed the energy pouring off it - you could actually see it like a cloud of vapour. And it wasn't in our imaginations because we took it in turns to describe the forms the energy was taking (it kept changing) and, whoever described it, it was what everyone else was seeing. The only person the crystal didn't bite was its owner. And a day or two later, when we handled it again, it was much calmer and we could hold it.

Crystals are fascinating!

Netzach

MoonGypzzy
05-07-2005, 00:41
Hi Netzach:)

Thank you for that very useful information. I've always wondered what to do with it and I do know a few people who really need healing. I would love to help them out and now you have allowed me to be able to do that.:) :)

That green crystal sounds sooooo amazing I wish I could have experienced that!!! I love crystals and they are truly wonderful and really do work in times of need.:)

Now what I would like to ask you is...have u ever worked with a crystal ball...and I'm sure there's a post somewhere about it.But, you seem to be very knowledgeable so I hope its ok to ask here:) If you have can you please tell me how that works and what ur experiences have been with it?

Thank you:)

Netzach
05-07-2005, 04:31
Now what I would like to ask you is...have u ever worked with a crystal ball...and I'm sure there's a post somewhere about it.But, you seem to be very knowledgeable so I hope its ok to ask here:) If you have can you please tell me how that works and what ur experiences have been with it?

Yes, I have. Actually we're getting a bit off topic - so my apologies to the moderator if I'm about to have my wrist slapped. However, I'm not sure how to move this to a separate thread, so I'll just carry on here!

I did a "developing intuition" course a couple of years ago and among the many things we did (name reading, card reading, telepathy, remote viewing etc. etc.) was scrying which, as you probably know, is looking into something (be it a crystal ball, a bowl of water or a "dark mirror") and seeing pictures. I didn't manage to get anything at all (very disappointing!) but a couple of people on the course who used a dark mirror said they felt they were falling into it. I think the knack is to allow yourself to move into whatever it is you're gazing at without having any preconceived ideas of what you're going to see - not easy!! You can buy dark mirrors at some of the shops that sell crystals and tarot cards and that sort of thing. Or else put some ink into a bowl of water. I think it's like any form of divination in that you can either ask a question or else just see what it's got to tell you.

Good luck!
Netzach

MoonGypzzy
05-07-2005, 04:41
Thanks so much for that information Netzach!! Im going to give it a try sooner or later. I would like to do that along with my cards one day ..lol.

Thank u once again!

bibi
12-07-2005, 04:33
On an interesting side note, amethyst tends to be found to be good for helping with alcohol problems.
BlueManticore

On that note, I read that the ancient Greeks believed you wouldn't get drunk if you drank from an amythyst goblet! :D

Bibi x

Red Emma
12-07-2005, 06:57
During my years at ATF (4), I've read a lot of fascinating and useful threads. I have to say, the information in this one puts it very near the top of the best of the lot.

Thanks, guys, for sharing your ideas with us.

Blessings,

Emma

Mona18
19-10-2011, 12:56
What a super awesome thread ... it deserves to be bumped!! :)

Minotauro
20-10-2011, 10:00
What a super awesome thread ... it deserves to be bumped!! :)

rightly so.

and in my opinion , just the same way as tarot , stones can be used in diferent ways by diferent people.

some think they can use any kind of stone for any purpose and some others dont

just as some people think tarot is a link to the divine , and some other people think they are just paper.

we dont have to agree and we all have our own experiences and reason to use them one way or the other

:) haha

I dont know how to use them yet , so far they just make me happy to have with me :) haha

Mona18
23-10-2011, 10:56
I dont know how to use them yet , so far they just make me happy to have with me :) haha

I don't know how to use them yet either, but I think it comes from within as well as books. At least the part of what they are used for and what they symbolize! I am going to learn though, for sure ... I can't wait to see what I can do ... :D

Minotauro
23-10-2011, 11:41
I don't know how to use them yet either, but I think it comes from within as well as books. At least the part of what they are used for and what they symbolize! I am going to learn though, for sure ... I can't wait to see what I can do ... :D
I also heard some people have diferent reactions to certain stones.
I think who said that aid it was due to diferent vibrations and what not , kinda like the negative of your birthstone or something like that XD haha

I too am just starting , and Im stuill firguring things out about my beloved obsidian pendant , Im not sure , but I think it might block all the other stones out , lol.
I dont know X)

Mona18
23-10-2011, 12:15
I also heard some people have diferent reactions to certain stones.
I think who said that aid it was due to diferent vibrations and what not , kinda like the negative of your birthstone or something like that XD haha

I too am just starting , and Im stuill firguring things out about my beloved obsidian pendant , Im not sure , but I think it might block all the other stones out , lol.
I dont know X)

Is that right?! :bugeyed: that is on my list to buy!!!

Minotauro
23-10-2011, 16:36
Is that right?! :bugeyed: that is on my list to buy!!!well in my opinion it is the BEST protection stone ever , but... it might be too good =P

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=233909769995690&set=a.233908219995845.64793.100001300066551&type=3

or maybe mine is just too big , I wear it all the time , just holding it makes me feel safer , I supossed and like I said this is just crazy ideas of mine , but maybe because it absorbs bad vibes , it could absorb whatever the others stones might be trying to send me?

in a way Id like that , my personal little black hole XD haha

linnie
23-10-2011, 17:12
Hello in there. :)

I love crystals... and stones... and big rocks...

I don't have a pouch of them, I have a house full of them... but I don't buy seriously expensive ones like the one mentioned in an earlier post...

Their cost never seems to be equated with the energy I get from them, anyway. One of my very favourites is a clear quartz point, quite gnarly, but when I focus on it I see the soul of that crystal looking back at me... It's the only crystal that I've had that response to... although I buy all of them after sifting through bowls of them and waiting until the one that creates a buzz makes its way into my hand... They're the ones I love ...

Obsidian really does offer strength and support... whether it be rainbow, or black, or any of the gentler ones... and yet I don't own too many pieces of that beautiful stuff... All my crystals make me feel empowered, as long as I love them and let them out in the sun or rain or moonlight occasionally, and 'power them up'. :)