PDA

View Full Version : carving on crystal

LadyofDreams
10-05-2005, 06:29
i have a set of amethyst runes, which I bought when I first became interested in runes. They came with a blank rune, which i immediatly put into the bag with my other crystals (this was at the point when they would all fit into one bag! :P )

now, i want to engrave "my" rune onto that last one, or buy another tumblestone for that purpose.

i dont want to just paint it on, because i would like it to be more permanent than that, and I dont like idea of varnishing it afterwards.

so, does anyone know of any way of engraving onto amethyst that will not cause it to chip. It will all be in straight lines.

any help is much appreciated :)

always,
~lady~

Dark Inquisitor
10-05-2005, 07:05
The key to engraving anything onto crystals is the diamond point. There are tools and engravers that come with diamond point attachments for this purpose. But, since you only want one engraved, perhaps you could get a runemaker (or jeweler ) to do it for you ?

However, now that I think about it, there is a way to chemically etch glass and there are kits sold for that purpose. You might be able to use that .

Emeraldgirl
10-05-2005, 09:57
Hi Lady,

I would recommend going to a lapidary for this. Do you have any local gem/mineral clubs they usualy have students who would be more than happy to practice and share their skills.