PDA

View Full Version : Taurus vs. Capricorn

lunalafey
16-05-2005, 19:45
I work as a bartender, so I interact with alot of people.
I had one of my regular customers, who is a Taurus, say that Capricorns are Taurus wannabees....I had to say, 'How so? What makes you say that?'
She started in with stubborness and I said both are naturally stubborn.
It was a disscussion that I wanted to continue, but she got really defencive and said that we would not see eye to eye on the subject and did not want to talk about it. -well! I was not rude, did not deserve auch an attitude.
I wasn't trying to change her opinion, just share mine.
Regardless, I ended up being amused.
I tried to see where she might have come up with that opinion of Capricorns.
I see that both signs have alot in common, stubborness being one of them.
But the signs are very different as well. Some things that seem common, such as the Caps need for stuff and the Taurus' comfort with fine possessions are rooted in two very different fields. The Capi is practical with what they 'collect'- tools and such things that can be used, and the Taurus just wants it because it's pretty.

So what is my question?
Does a Capricorn want to be a Taurus?
{Cuz I think it's the other way around! ;)

little_redfox
16-05-2005, 20:02
Im not sure about the Capricorn being a Taurus wannabe, but my fathers a Capricorn, and my brothers a Taurus and youve never met such totally different people. They have such different temprements and different hobbies, and are both lovely people in their own right - but my brother isnt remotely interested in any of my dads hobbies and visa-versa (apart from old cars, but thats just a bloke thing isnt it ? hehe). They get on ok tho but they're a bit like chalk and cheese. I'd say they are VERY, very typical of their star signs too - to the degree that if a resonably knowledgable astrologer met them, they'd prolly quite easily guess lol :)

LRF x

Elven
16-05-2005, 20:23
Well, I dont know if Capricorns are wanna be Taureans, but Im a Capricorn whose best friend is a Taurean and we have been best of friends for 38 years - which is quite an achievement I think :).
Our relationship is one of complete admiration for the other. There is an unspoken understanding between us which would be hard to fathom. She is very forgiving and accepting. I am very supportive and compassionate. There is nothing that the other one does that freaks the other out. She knows me better than I know myself sometimes - which is a blessing, because I trust her sound judgement and she has been my saviour in many instances.
She has a great sense of humour which really appeals to me, and a generous nature. We compliment each other very well - as friends go.

So I think, as a Capricorn, it is more about admiration. Maybe it just takes a Capricorn and a Taurean 38 years to work that out! :)

Many Blessings
Elven x

Leo62
16-05-2005, 21:48
So what is my question?
Does a Capricorn want to be a Taurus?
{Cuz I think it's the other way around! ;)

A Capricorn is a Taurus with ambition! ;)

Seriously - I have Capricorn ascendent and my partner has a Taurus moon - we get on pretty well. Both signs have stickability and don't give up easily (look at Elven's 38 year friendship!), but the downside of that is that both can be really, really stubborn. The tenacious goat and the determined bull can end up in a serious - and long-running - locking of horns. Neither is prepared to give ground when they think they are right. It really can be a case of the irresistable force versus the immovable object (guess which is which!).
Capricorn is a cardinal sign, whereas Taurus is fixed - and this points to a fundamental difference between the two. Cap likes to think it is going somewhere and doing something ALL the time - always looking for mountains to climb - whereas Taurus would rather take it easy, lounge on the sofa and enjoy a good meal.

To answer the question, I don't think either sign would want to be the other, because they both think their way is better...although I think Cap would like to be able to relax more like Taurus, and Taurus would like to be a bit more self-motivated like Cap, and actually get off that sofa and do something...!

Julien
17-05-2005, 01:12
Well, I just had to weigh in... I know you were talking about Sun signs, but I'm an Aries with a moon in Taurus and my Rising in Scorpio. I can pretty much match any Capricorn sun sign for stubbornness, ambition, structure and love of things... When I work, I really really work hard and with intensity. And when I relax, I really really relax... With intensity, you might say... Drives the Caps (in particular) in my life nuts -- which appears to be one of the major sun signs in my family so family reunions are most interesting... I tend to do better with Leos, Sagis and other Scorpios...

But I agree with Leo62 -- neither wants to be the other. Both are too certain their way is the best... Really. We are... ;)

Julien

isthmus nekoi
17-05-2005, 02:55
lunalafey,

I don't really think any sign necessarily wants to be another. It sounds more likely to me that your "regular" has issues w/Capricorn energy.

ncefafn
17-05-2005, 05:02
I'm a Taurus moon with a Capricorn ascendant, and I take issue with myself all the time.

Both my siblings and my father are Capricorn Suns. They're all very nice, easy-going people. I like Cappies. I like Tauruses (Tauri?). Neither sun sign has ever done me dirt, despite their inherent earthiness, or perhaps because of it.

I agree with Isthmus Nekoi -- your customer had issues. Probably just broke up with a Capricorn. :)

Kim

Julien
17-05-2005, 05:27
I second Isthmus Nekoi and Kim! (or is it third?). Someone had issues with someone else...

Julien

lunalafey
17-05-2005, 05:30
To answer the question, I don't think either sign would want to be the other, because they both think their way is better...although I think Cap would like to be able to relax more like Taurus, and Taurus would like to be a bit more self-motivated like Cap, and actually get off that sofa and do something...!

Well put- I so agree.

It sounds more likely to me that your "regular" has issues w/Capricorn energy.
I figured this as well, therefore did not mention that I was a Capricorn (a heavy one too). My guess is that it was a fellow female that caused such issues. (no break up with a cappie- I know that; he was a Libra)

Most Taurus' I have known have been male and most I have liked. It's that laid back, feet in the ground attitude.

great viewpoints, this is the sort of discussion I had hoped for at work....

squeakmo9
18-05-2005, 11:29
Well, I dont know if Capricorns are wanna be Taureans, but Im a Capricorn whose best friend is a Taurean and we have been best of friends for 38 years - which is quite an achievement I think :).
Our relationship is one of complete admiration for the other. There is an unspoken understanding between us which would be hard to fathom.

I totally agree with Elven, I am a Taurus (moon, sun, mercury, north node) and have been friends with a sun Cappie for 30 years and going. She is very funny, passionate (especially with her love of baseball-Yankees), and down to earth. Where she is wired, I'm laid back, where she's been much more open minded, I've been narrow minded. There are more times when she can go with the flow and I fight the current all the way and vice versa. She works smart while I just work hard (yes, we do get off the couch, sometimes:))
and yet we share similar philosophies and ultimately believe the glass is half full rather than empty. We truly do compliment each other. The only draw back is that on that rare occasion when I make a new friend, I initially expect that same comfy feeling with the new person as I do with my Cappie buddy.

anion-
18-05-2005, 12:13
All these earth signs... *sighs*. The sun signs are comparable because they are both earth, but I agree with everyone else here that there are differances. Kind of like comparing a Pisces with a Scorpio... is a Pisces really just a Scorpio with diplomacy and a better handle on that temper? Or is a Scorpio really just a Pisces with motivation and a attention span?
As a Pisces with Scorpo ascendant, I can say I find relationships with Taurians and Capricorns challenging in their own unique ways :-).

lunalafey
18-05-2005, 12:46
Kind of like comparing a Pisces with a Scorpio... is a Pisces really just a Scorpio with diplomacy and a better handle on that temper? Or is a Scorpio really just a Pisces with motivation and a attention span?

funny...

Much to the sort of point that I would have like to have expressed had she wanted to talk about it.
The first big thing to look at is that it's not just the sun sign that creates the personality.
All Earth signs have the same goal/purpose, but how they go about it is different. The operate on different types of fuel.

mingbop
22-05-2005, 05:09
This thread is brilliant, made me laugh. I'm a cap and all taurus(es/ii) I know are so laid back that they pour off a chair instead of rise from it ...I wish to hell I could be like that. And I have a scorp daughter who I love dearly but is an alien life form to me !!!

magpie9
22-05-2005, 06:17
Excellent thread! :D

I'm a Sag (Cancer moon, Aquarias rising) with (always) lots of Caps in my life....I love 'em, but I never seem to be able to make them happy, or perhaps keep them happy is more accurate. :D
My father was a Tauran, and mom was Aires. Dad and I did well, but Aires is definatly an alien life form for me!
My sister is a Sag with Scorpio moon and Aires rising, and she scares me some of the time. she gets this little gleam in her eye and she's off to save the world, or at least re-arrainge it!!
The taurii I've known seem to get along with everybody, kind of a live and let live attitude. This is unlike Caps, who seem to sincerely feel that thier way is the only way and whats wrong with you, doing it some other inferior way?

mingbop
22-05-2005, 08:01
anion--I loved what you said about pisces and attention spans !!! I have never known a pisces.
And Magpie, I am taking to heart what you said about caps...I will retire to the corner and be as quiet and passive as a wee mouse forthwith. Squeak.

ncefafn
22-05-2005, 08:30
This is unlike Caps, who seem to sincerely feel that thier way is the only way and whats wrong with you, doing it some other inferior way?

Hmm. I think this is a quality that can apply across the boards to all cardinal signs. The trouble with having a "single-pointed mind" is that you can only see that one point. ;)

Kim

mingbop
22-05-2005, 09:15
what is a cardinal sign ??

rainwolf
22-05-2005, 09:18
The cardinals are the signs that mark "beginnings" per se in the zodiac; they are the signs that have energy to begin endeavors. They are aries, taurus, gemini, and cancer i believe.

Someone correct me if im wrong.

ncefafn
22-05-2005, 10:51
Actually, Rainwolf is one-quarter right. They mark the beginnings of the seasons. They are Aries, Cancer, Libra and Capricorn.

isthmus nekoi
23-05-2005, 02:33
Hmm. I think this is a quality that can apply across the boards to all cardinal signs.

Not sure if I can agree w/this. Cardinal signs initiate, direct and lead that is true, but it's not necessarily in this judgmental way. Being judgmental may have more to do w/planet placement in conjunction w/signs as I can think of a few examples who don't fit the bill.

mingbop
23-05-2005, 02:53
I'm just concerned about this as I have just made a monumental error of judgement !! and almost lost my job because of it. Might still, in fact. And I can't see that I did anything wrong at all...so is that a typical cap then !? lol

WolfyJames
23-05-2005, 05:15
Well, I just had to weigh in... I know you were talking about Sun signs, but I'm an Aries with a moon in Taurus and my Rising in Scorpio. I can pretty much match any Capricorn sun sign for stubbornness, ambition, structure and love of things...

All fixed signs are stubborn and ambitious, fixed signs are taurus, aquarius, leo and scorpio. So your stubborness and ambition come from your scorpio rising sign. My brother is a scorpio, and I'm an aquarius and we were fignting all the time, two fixed signs together clash (my mother's taurus, another fixed sign). My brother is super stubborn and ambitious and he would pass over anyone's dead body anytime to get what he wants. Then, he would probably get drunk later, well hidden so no one sees him in such a vulnerable state, and cry over the people he hurt.

RufusJ
23-05-2005, 08:02
I'm a Taurus with Scorpio rising and Scorpio moon and I've always gotten along with Caps and Virgos. The ones I have most conflict with-- and are most attracted to as well-- are Scorpios. I guess that makes me sort of conflicted myself. Things are safer than people and home, with lots of trees and hills, is better than anywhere else. But ambition is something I missed out on.

rufusj

lunalafey
23-05-2005, 08:39
All fixed signs are stubborn and ambitious, fixed signs are taurus, aquarius, leo and scorpio.

Many say that Capricorns are stubborn. I think that this was a point that the woman was trying to make about Capi's being Taurus wannabees.
An external view...the actions of these two earth signs look simular.
But the 'fuel' of the action comes from somewhere different.
A Taurus is stubbon. A Capricorn procrastinates. Big difference

amyel
23-05-2005, 09:53
...A Taurus is stubbon. A Capricorn procrastinates. Big difference...oh, I don't know if I agree with that, Luna :) I'm a Cappy, my mom and a very good friend are both Taurus'...and I would not say any Cappy's I know procrastinate.

We are known to "weigh our options carefully" before making any final decisions because we are afraid of making the wrong decsion. This *can* be seen as procrastination. But once we've made that decision....we are very stubborn about it.

Tauri & Cappies both like "things", but I see Tauri as a little more "earthy" then Capricorns, whom I see as more ambitious and conscious of social standards and status. Sad, yes, but true. My Aquarian moon hates that part of my Cappy Sun, but here you have it. :) Yes, it does matter to Caapies what the neighbors think. Just ask my husband (an Aquarian sun sign, BTW).

I once read that the final sign of each of the four elements - so, Capricorn in the Earth signs - are the most "evolved" for that element. I cannot remember where I read this or in what context, so feel free to completely discount it if you wish. After all, it is a Cappy who is claiming it. :D

Silverlotus
24-05-2005, 02:34
The Capi is practical with what they 'collect'- tools and such things that can be used, and the Taurus just wants it because it's pretty.

I am the poster child for Taurians. You have likely never met anyone more stubborn then me. And I have to totally agree with your assessment that Taurians choose their possessions mostly because they are beautiful, well made, or just plain nice. Very little of what I buy is because I need it. I mean, I have lots of books/cross stitch patterns/you name it, and as soon as I see another pretty one I must have it.

Okay, I am exaggerating just a little bit, but you get the idea. However, even if I am buying something practical, it still must be attractive.

isthmus nekoi
24-05-2005, 02:37
lol, well I'm a Cap as well, and that's one thing I never do (procrastinate). Due dates always seem to motivate me to finish a project earlier. I do like to plan ahead though. I can't stand being asked out for plans on the same day, even if I'm free. It's like, I've set my mentality on "staying in" for the evening and I can't change it lol. Oh and w/my Aquarian ASC, I never give a damn what other ppl think. Class snobbery makes me quite angry actually (Mars in Aquarius) and status objects (I'm all for good quality/craftsmanship, but being a label whore?) irritate me.

I don't think any sign is more "evolved" than another, but yes, you can see a progression through the zodiac if you wish, from being born with Aries to dying with Pisces.

cricket
24-05-2005, 02:47
Hmm. I think this is a quality that can apply across the boards to all cardinal signs. The trouble with having a "single-pointed mind" is that you can only see that one point. ;)

Kim
You mean there are other points? WHAT? :confused: ;)

the little cappy bug

lunalafey
24-05-2005, 04:59
Most Caps I know, myself included, p-r-o-c-a-s-t-i-n-a-t-e....
But when it's time to get busy, they don't stop till it's done.
Non-Procrastinating Cappy? How do ya' do it? I wonder what the astrological influence causes this seperation?

Deadlines I understand and work with no problem, it's the open-ended 'duties' that get put on the back burner. And ask me to do something the same day, even when I have no real plans......I'm with ya' on that one.

We are known to "weigh our options carefully" before making any final decisions because we are afraid of making the wrong decsion. This *can* be seen as procrastination. But once we've made that decision....we are very stubborn about it.

I agree with you here, amyel.
I guess it comes down to a matter of words and terms. The root of the signs actions and the purpose. Both Taurus and Caps can be seen as stubborn, procrastinators, (what was Sacrlet O'hara's sign?) materialistic, etc.
but again, why? that is what seperates them.

Funny that the other Earth sign, Virgo has not been mentioned. I know many of those too. And I guess now I can see 'where' the woman was coming from. Taurus and Caps are more alike than either of them are to a Virgo (IMO-form observation) anyone else see that?

ncefafn
24-05-2005, 09:28
Scarlett O'Hara was definitely an Aries.

And a b*tch. :)

Kim the Libra

mingbop
24-05-2005, 13:54
Virgos are a race apart. I know. I am married to one. And am I the only aeclectrican who does not know the meaning of "procastinate " ?

january
24-05-2005, 16:05
I'm a Cap Sun, Aquarius Moon and Taurus Rising and procrastinator extroirdinaire! In the past I've owed this to the "laziness" of my Taurus Rising but now after hearing how fellow Caps also put things off I'm guessing it could be a Saturn thing?

Honestly, I never feel a sense of urgency to complete something unless my back is against the proverbial wall. I'm an excellent starter but when it comes to fiinishing a project I take my time. Patience or procrastination (or perfection?)

If I'm unsure of the outcome, I instinctively put the issue on the back burner, whether its deciding upon a graduate program or picking out a pair of shoes. I'd rather stay with nothing for a bit than to settle for something that isn't quite right. I'd rather hold off and have others wait than to put my name on something that isn't my best work and effort. Their wait, as well as mine, will be worth it because we Caps always pull through in the end and then everyone is happy, as much of a pain in the butt it seems :-)

I too, can never make up my mind but once I do, I'm head-strong and become relentless until I'm finished.

But being ruled by Saturn can make Caps hard on themselves and I often beat myself up for not finishing stuff. Go figure!

DaVinci began several projects at once but was slow to finish and was rumored to have been locked in a room by the pope until he finished a commisioned work. But I think he was an Aries?

~ January

ncefafn
24-05-2005, 17:33
In sum, cardinal signs are not procrastinators. I will post a lengthy essay defending this position in a few days or so.

Kim

lunalafey
24-05-2005, 21:01
am I the only aeclectrican who does not know the meaning of "procastinate " ?

to delay or put off for later and later....and later.........and later....

Oooo....Cardinals not procrastinators essay? I'm really interested.
I can't say that the way mellow Taurus nature is to blame for procrastination, as would seem logical (?lol). I have not a drop of it. Now Virgo, people think I'm a Virgo Sun. I think they get that from the heavy concentration of planets and rising is what does that.

isthmus nekoi
25-05-2005, 01:51
Earth is the slowest element in nature and Earth signs are generally considered slower. This is usually attributed to conservatism, cautiousness, prudence etc.
In general, cardinals will initiate change, mutables will go w/the flow and fixed signs will be stubborn. (This is coming from an Aquarian ASC, btw ;))

rcb30872
05-06-2005, 11:39
Earth is the slowest element in nature and Earth signs are generally considered slower. This is usually attributed to conservatism, cautiousness, prudence etc.
In general, cardinals will initiate change, mutables will go w/the flow and fixed signs will be stubborn. (This is coming from an Aquarian ASC, btw ;))

I will have to agree with this one. I can be very slow at times out of either procrastination, indecision or just plain laziness. I have all three Earth signs in my chart, Virgo in Sun, Capricorn in Ascendent and Taurus in Moon. Boy, do I know when the Taurus part has come in to the picture, talk about stubborn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bec