What are you doing for "World Tarot Day" (25th May)???

IDN

Hi,

I just found this:

http://64.176.11.226/worldtarotday.html

So what will you do to celebrate "World Tarot Day"?

I will probably have a good couple of hours with all my (5) decks. I will also do a few readings for family and friends. May take a deck to work and leave it lying about (but within sight!) and see who's interested.

Would love to hear your ideas & plans.

Regards,
Ian

Major Tom

I've been aware of World Tarot Day ever since TABI made their announcement that they were holding events to support it. I rather like the idea of a day set aside to promote tarot in the public mind, but there's something in the way the purpose of this day is stated makes me uneasy.

I quote from the linked website:

1) To promote Tarot's use beyond any public conception of it as 'evil' or Satanic.

2) To promote Tarot uses in honest manner with integrity.

3) To promote the use of Tarot in responsible manner beyond both use as an unsavory monetary "fortune-telling" scheme, as well as use as a crutch by those unwilling to take responsibility for their own future and/or behavior.

4) To promote Tarot use as a tool for self-examination, spirituality, and other self-aide methods of guidance.

5) To have at least one day to celebrate, share, and stimulate our love of the Tarot tool with each other, and to think about what we can 'give' to instead of what we can 'take' from the Tarot Community.

I'm not exactly sure what has me feeling uneasy. Is it that the stated purpose seems to pull against itself? :confused:

I've no doubt that it's all been put together with the best of intention.

Sophie

25 May is Saint Sophie....

I shall be celebrating myself :p

(and since myself loves Tarot and finds Sophia in it - I shall also be spending time with a deck or two)

jmd

I find myself personally in agreement with Major Tom... I too remember reading about it earlier last year, and had some misgivings, but not sure exactly how to best vocalise it... but especially article 3 is of concern.

By the way, it is also St Bede the Venerable's day :)

Eco74

It seems to me those points are a little bit too hard on the PC-side of it. Also that they are seriously going by the banner "Tarot is known as an evil thing" which does not feel quite right.

I do really like point 4 and 5 though since they go straight for the positive.
They really could have skipped the negative ones (ie "tarot is not:").
Not sure what exactly it is about those "tarot is not" statements that gets to me, but am getting an unsettling reference in my mind to those pyramid-schemes that have been going around where people introduce the "wonderful thing you just can not afford to pass up" by stating in a number of ways what it is not all about.. Who needs to know what it's not anyway? Tell me what it IS and get to the point already! *ugh*

Have yet to check out the website though so this is a reaction strictly to the points presented.

jmd

PS - I would be able to far more easily support it if it simply said:

World Tarot day

A day to celebrate Tarot!

:)

Perhaps we can all celebrate instead St Helvetica's day...

jmd

OK... I'll go through the points and try and articulate where I have misgivings.

The first is a very general point about there being a 'world day' for Tarot. I'm just not sure if this is necessary - but then again, I never follow claimed 'world days', and in Australia, Thanksgiving Day (which most people don't even know about, it seems - which occured a couple of days ago) is likewise not well received. So perhaps we are more a nation that seems to dislike stated 'days for x', and I simply in my being somehow reflect this.

But others may certainly not feel the same on this issue... so if we were to have a World Tarot Day, my general point in previous posts stands.

To simply call it a day to celebrate Tarot - in whatever ways individuals or groups value it, whether it be for fortune telling, for ritual work, as an amazing historical game remnant... whatever it graces users with.

If we look at each part, there are problems with stated claims (reminiscent of any such list others also want to make for either certification or codifications, really, save that these seem to be a little more generous, but no less problematic).

Let's begin with the top:
Description : "To promote the use of the Tarot tool across all human made borders, be they political boundaries, misunderstandings of the mind, or ignorance of the tool itself, for the benefit and growth of the Spiritual Self."​
Assumptions and exclusions are rife... also, I would willingly support something that celebrates and rejoices, but 'promotes' has all the hallmarks or either commercial underpinnings, or of evangelism.

And what about those who simply would participate as a wonderful way to promote the game of Tarot... why, again, exclude them?

Purpose :

1) To promote Tarot's use beyond any public conception of it as 'evil' or Satanic.​
To 'go beyond' something assumes that one travels there in the first place. I realise this is undoubtedly not the intent, and suspect that it means more 'to deny Tarot's connection as evil or Satanic'.

Again, of course, some would probably willingly participate in a World Tarot Day celebration, but not want to be actively involved in such promotion of Tarot.

2) To promote Tarot uses in honest manner with integrity.​
Should not using Tarot in an honest manner and with integrity be done every day?

Marking a special day for it seems ludicrous (and 'promoting' has again its drawbacks) - though I again can read the intent: let's celebrate in positive tones Tarot!

By all means, let's do so, by celebrating, not promoting.

3) To promote the use of Tarot in responsible manner beyond both use as an unsavory monetary "fortune-telling" scheme, as well as use as a crutch by those unwilling to take responsibility for their own future and/or behavior.​
Perhaps there are some that legitimately use a crutch as a temporary measure in their having entered a deep pitfall of depression or darkness or passing through an utter dark night of the soul, and to them, I would not want to exclude the beauty and gifts Tarot may bring one during troubled times.

Conversely, some may consider the mere purchasing of a reading as 'an unsavoury monetary "fortune-telling" scheme'... would we want to exclude the usage of Tarot for divination for which there is a financial exchange?

Again, I am confident that the intent is merely to say: 'Look, just because there are con-jobs does not mean that Tarot is bad or that those who generally use it are con-artists'.

Still, a day or rejoicing and celebration need have none of that criteria stated. If some individuals in some city or town in some part of the world determines that this would best be its focus, it may very well be so... but not as a general world-wide day of celebration.

4) To promote Tarot use as a tool for self-examination, spirituality, and other self-aide methods of guidance.​
And what of those who wish to primarily use it for other purposes?

5) To have at least one day to celebrate, share, and stimulate our love of the Tarot tool with each other, and to think about what we can 'give' to instead of what we can 'take' from the Tarot Community.​
With a placement of a full stop after the first instance of the word 'tarot, with the rest of the sentence dropped, this would be all that is needed!

To reiterate this last even more shortened point:
To celebrate, share, and stimulate our love of the tarot.

Grigori

I was recently involved in promoting a non-tarot "World Day" (which was also a first ever event). It was a great experience, and was a celebration of the profession, as well as a chance to focus on the marketing etc. side of a commercial enterprise.

The list of goals sound to me like ideas better discussed in private by an association as motivating causes for a "World Tarot Day". Certainly they do identify areas of weakness in the public acceptance of tarot. They do not make a great list for any sort of public advertising.

I would consider the list badly constructed from a public perception angle, or perhaps intended for the eyes of tarotists who would understand the motivation for such an initiative. While I certainly agree that a "World Tarot Day" is not a cure all, a focussed initiative
jmd said:
To celebrate, share, and stimulate our love of the tarot.
seems like a great idea to me.

Maybe next year it will be better concieved and developed. :)

I think I will spend the day offering reading to all from near and far :) I might also buy myself a World Tarot Day present. Something that comes in a pack of 78.... :D

jmd

This is not a TABI initiative, but one from Den Elder, of the Church of Tarot.

PS - this reply was written before I realised that similia altered his reference to TABI - but thought I would leave it, as it at least identifies from whence it stems.

Grigori

Sorry jmd, Den Elder, TABI and all, I realised I mis-identified the source of the initiative just after posting.

I should add, I recommend helium balloons. I have learnt that helium balloons are very popular and accepted by all :D