Stripping to the Bone....

Rosanne

I have been following the historical threads with interest and realised that much about Tarot is conjecture.
I would like to know what is absolute fact. In English we say i before e EXCEPT after c. The exceptions to the rule. Every Tarot Deck is oblong cards except when they are round.
So I wondered if those interested would post a fact/s that are not disputed (hopefully) to strip the lady bare, feel free to contest posted FACTS or have your Fact contested. My offerings are-
Every Tarot Deck has a Fool Card.
A.E. Waite did not paint the cards for the Rider Waite Tarot Deck.

In happy anticipation of truckloads of facts. ~Rosanne

Rosanne

Thank you Rusty Neon for the Link. I tend to agree with the content, but that is not exactly what I meant by my proposal. Included is a caveat on that link that says ".... other interpretaions might be drawn from the same body of evidence...."
Can my supposed fact 'every Tarot Deck has a Fool card..' be interpretated as 'Most Tarot decks have a Fool Card except.....' which would make my statement unfactual.
~Rosanne

Rusty Neon

Roseanne,

Perhaps you should ask a moderator to move this thread to the Tarot Games & Fun board if you want to play games.

Rosanne

Rusty Neon
I am not playing a game- I am sorry you interpreted my post as that; if the moderators feel that my wanting to know facts is a game, I am sure they will move my thread.
~Rosanne

Rogan

I agree with Rosanne - I dont see her request as a "game"... It's certainly made me think about things...

Moongold

Fact:

The exact origin of the Tarot is unknown.

Rosanne

LOL MoonGold- that is certainly a fact, and that is exactly the sort of fact I am after. ~Rosanne :D

jmd

I presume that 'absolute fact' means something like:
uncontested commonly accepted view usually claimed as known​

My contributions:
  • a Tarot deck has 78 cards;
  • apart from Tarot derivatives used for gaming purposes (such as most modern 'tarot' used in France), the suits of a deck consist of Atouts (Major Arcana), Batons, Cups, Deniers/Coins, and Swords;
  • a Marseille-style deck is the earliest extant Tarot deck

Rosanne

Thanks jmd- That is what I meant. I was in a group of people who said with some authority that Tarot was undefinable as there was no agreement about the facts of Tarot. Not one. I said there were facts and would supply a list of facts that were uncontestable. My friends said they should be facts like' The Empire State Building has X amount of floors' I tried to compile a list and I had difficulty so I thought I would ask here. It is not that I feel obliged to defend my belief in Tarot, but I thought I could produce a list. You have given me more facts one being that there are four suits in Tarot aside from the Atouts.~Rosanne