PDA

View Full Version : help identify

TarotGirlJess
05-06-2005, 09:31
Hi all i have recently aquired some pretty tumbled gems.. i have never been so thrilled to recieve rocks in my life. I am having a hard time identifying 2 of them.
One is a lemony yellow stone with gray veins running through it. the second set of rtocks are a green stone with tiney black spots on it.

If anyone happens to know what theses are off the tops or your head i would be very grateful.
Tarot (gone back to google) Girl Jess

daveyboy
05-06-2005, 10:34
The 2nd one if it isn't see through sounds like some kind of copper based ore (or rock). Copper compounds usually form green with black blobs on when exposed to air (Due to copper oxide - black, and copper carbonate - green). Azurite or malachite are the ones ive seen in the shops.

The other one sounds like amber quartz to me, or something like that.

Dave

P.S. Do they look like these?

http://www.manchesterminerals.co.uk/acatalog/shop.html?http%3A//www.manchesterminerals.co.uk/acatalog/Tumbled_stones.html&CatalogBody

TarotGirlJess
05-06-2005, 11:51
thanks for the link, it was a great site i could spend hours there unfortunatly i didn't see my stones. i suspect the yellow might have something to do with sulpher? the search still continues.. surely someone here has a pretty lil yellow stone with gray veins? if not i may have to pack up three kids and drive an hour and a half to see if the store says ( they were a gift). either way i am in love with all my rocks.

thanks
any other ideas?
TGJ

wizzle
05-06-2005, 12:15
I'd give it a stab if I had more info. Are your stones completely opaque? Clear in places or somewhat clear? How lemony is lemony? Bright? More like mustard, etc.....

Your description was sort of like me saying, I've got this vegetable here....it's long and green. Can you tell me what it is?

TarotGirlJess
05-06-2005, 12:24
much obliged...
yellow stone gray veins- the color of lemonhead candys, just a shade lightr than the original pledge can (spray)
gray veins- the gray is the color of cement
rock has a marbled look to it definatly more yellow than gray though

second stone
Green (frog green) looks almost lime green in lights, not pale, not dark but medium. a very vERy heavily speckled with black polkadots. has a mottled look to it i don't know if that one can be helped on not.. KRyptonite green. LOL

i hope this was a bit clearer?

light2000
05-06-2005, 13:30
hi the first one seems rutiled quartz. I dont know express very well the name but seems that have lines inside, yes?There are rutiled quartz whith grey lines, gold lines, orang lines and much more.

The second i dont know.

TarotGirlJess
05-06-2005, 13:51
no not quartz.. if you take a yellow piece of taffy and melt it into a glob.. it's about thatr way.. it isn't remotly clear.. very solid. i think i way go road tripping tomorrow. LOL

Thanks for trying to help. i an't believe it's so hard. LOL

light2000
05-06-2005, 14:10
hi again, is think that i founf it but i cant put that here.

It names at Portuguese is Dendrite. I dont know how is english but i think that is the one.It seems that have a shape of the one tree inside

wizzle
05-06-2005, 15:22
I have a terrific little book called "Gemstones of the World" by Walter Schumann. It's loaded with pics and quick descriptions of the physical properties of stones. Here's my best guess after looking at the pics.

1. Yellow/gray stone - chiastolite, jasper or agate. The chiastolite fits the description best, but jasper and agate come in such a wide variety of colors that I don't think they should be ruled out. I've never seen chiastolite offered for sale on the web, so I'm very skeptical.

2. Green stone - aventurine and that is quite commonly available. You can google up "aventurine" and you'll find plenty of pics to compare with your stone.

I took a look at dendrite as suggested by light2000 and that is a real possibility. Dendrite is a type of agate.

Hope that helps

p.s. do we congratulate you on being...er...you know?

TarotGirlJess
05-06-2005, 16:04
congrads to me? i hope not ( in the nicest possible way) LOL. Not unless you know something i don't and if you do.. share. LOL

I will have to check on the stones, thank you for checking on that... i will check on the great suggestions.
thanks
TGJ

daveyboy
05-06-2005, 20:03
Yellow and black viens is most likley to be sulphur. If it's entirley solid. You should be able to grind it to a fine yellow powder (don't eat it mind ;) )

TarotGirlJess
06-06-2005, 02:54
LOL don't eat the rocks... GOTCHA. i think i can remember that. LOL it seems to chip off rather easily and I have given up my hunt for the names.. i decided that this week I'll just take a little drive on up to the store and buy more.. oops was that out loud? I meant read the sign *Evil Grin*

I am hopefull that they have a lot. I have developed a tumblestone fetish.... *sigh* i guess they are only 7$ for a bag of any mix of them.... I'm just waiting on the money fairy..... i wonder how many bags i could get if i just....... LOL I may never have enough.

Thanks again for all your help and when i do find their names i will update the thread to reflect that.
Thanks a ton

Tarot how many is to many to carry around? Girl Jess

daveyboy
06-06-2005, 07:12
You see when I learned to be a chemist not too long ago. Don't lick the spoon, don't sniff the gas. And NEVER EVER take a deep breath when your mate sticks a beaker under your nose to see "Does it have ammonia?".

Scratch and sniff was also out of the question - LOL. Though I can tell you most chemicals either taste salty or make you cough a lot.

[Edit] - I forgot to say "Trust me i'm a chemist"

Emily
07-06-2005, 04:11
Hi TarotGirlJess,

I did a google search for greenstone black spots and came up with a type of New Zealand Jade called Kakotea - If you google 'Greenstone Kakotea' there are a couple of sites with pics. Might not be your stone but the websites are pretty interesting. :)

joya250
07-06-2005, 08:23
hi,

Just a thought....

perhaps the yellow with the gray is an Agate of some sort? and the green with blk spots may be a Ruby Zosite (hope I spelled that right.)

joya

BodhiSeed
07-06-2005, 22:58
Could the green stone possibly be chrysoprase?
http://www.bernardine.com/gemstones/chrysoprase.htm
The yellow stone does sound like sulphur, especially with that bright yellow color.
Many Blessings,
Bodhran

theblackline
08-06-2005, 16:37
the yellow one sounds like it could have iron in it .... which trust me .. sounds way off .. but i had this huge lemonhead yellow rock .. that a friend broke .. that i founf out was an iron-quartz crystal.... and the outside .. hat the highest concentration of the iron in it .. thus making it .. solid looking but the inside ( i dotn sugest you testing this out ) was a clear yello like quartz .. but yellow .. and it was sharper tha most quartz crystal i have seen or owned ... the gren one sounds like it could be some sort of a color dyed agate .... from S.america

Kyrielle
11-06-2005, 17:42
The lemon yellow stone might be lemon chrysoprase, which is not held in as much value as the apple-green kind, but my piece is solid lemon yellow with gray veins.

Maybe the green stone is serpentine? Or maybe green jasper.

Kyrielle

TarotGirlJess
12-06-2005, 01:41
well i went back to the store and low and behold the stones they were selling was different from the ones they had labeled. most of them. the green one was simply labled 'dalmation' and the yellow wasn't labled at all. Go figure. The hunt continues. thanks for your help and I'm search ing for the lemon chrysoprase, to see if that's it. I appreciate all the help.
TGJ

TarotGirlJess
12-06-2005, 01:53
ok we have a winner!!!!!
Kyrielle it does seem to be lemon chrysoprase.
thank you very much for the name. once i was able to google for that it turned up pictures that were very similar to mine. thank you.

as for the dalmation strone it isn't very specific of a name to go buy but i will keep researching until i can find out what it does. LOL
many thanks
TGJ

Dakini
12-06-2005, 05:59
Hi, I was just looking at my favorite stone website. The green one is not dalmation jasper that is white with black spots just like on a damation dog. The green stone you have is mostlikely chrysoprase, there are a few different shades of green list here.
http://www.mooncavecrystals.com/store/agora.cgi?cart_id=3211076.4839*-K24g5&product=_C_Gallery
Green apple chrysoprase is one of them, scroll down the page to see them all. BB Dakini