help identify

TarotGirlJess

Hi all i have recently aquired some pretty tumbled gems.. i have never been so thrilled to recieve rocks in my life. I am having a hard time identifying 2 of them.
One is a lemony yellow stone with gray veins running through it. the second set of rtocks are a green stone with tiney black spots on it.

If anyone happens to know what theses are off the tops or your head i would be very grateful.
Tarot (gone back to google) Girl Jess

daveyboy

Stones?

The 2nd one if it isn't see through sounds like some kind of copper based ore (or rock). Copper compounds usually form green with black blobs on when exposed to air (Due to copper oxide - black, and copper carbonate - green). Azurite or malachite are the ones ive seen in the shops.

The other one sounds like amber quartz to me, or something like that.

Dave

P.S. Do they look like these?

http://www.manchesterminerals.co.uk...o.uk/acatalog/Tumbled_stones.html&CatalogBody

TarotGirlJess

thanks for the link, it was a great site i could spend hours there unfortunatly i didn't see my stones. i suspect the yellow might have something to do with sulpher? the search still continues.. surely someone here has a pretty lil yellow stone with gray veins? if not i may have to pack up three kids and drive an hour and a half to see if the store says ( they were a gift). either way i am in love with all my rocks.

thanks
any other ideas?
TGJ

wizzle

more info

I'd give it a stab if I had more info. Are your stones completely opaque? Clear in places or somewhat clear? How lemony is lemony? Bright? More like mustard, etc.....

Your description was sort of like me saying, I've got this vegetable here....it's long and green. Can you tell me what it is?

TarotGirlJess

much obliged...
yellow stone gray veins- the color of lemonhead candys, just a shade lightr than the original pledge can (spray)
gray veins- the gray is the color of cement
rock has a marbled look to it definatly more yellow than gray though

second stone
Green (frog green) looks almost lime green in lights, not pale, not dark but medium. a very vERy heavily speckled with black polkadots. has a mottled look to it i don't know if that one can be helped on not.. KRyptonite green. LOL

i hope this was a bit clearer?

light2000

hi the first one seems rutiled quartz. I dont know express very well the name but seems that have lines inside, yes?There are rutiled quartz whith grey lines, gold lines, orang lines and much more.

The second i dont know.

TarotGirlJess

no not quartz.. if you take a yellow piece of taffy and melt it into a glob.. it's about thatr way.. it isn't remotly clear.. very solid. i think i way go road tripping tomorrow. LOL

Thanks for trying to help. i an't believe it's so hard. LOL

light2000

hi again, is think that i founf it but i cant put that here.

It names at Portuguese is Dendrite. I dont know how is english but i think that is the one.It seems that have a shape of the one tree inside

wizzle

stab in the dark

I have a terrific little book called "Gemstones of the World" by Walter Schumann. It's loaded with pics and quick descriptions of the physical properties of stones. Here's my best guess after looking at the pics.

1. Yellow/gray stone - chiastolite, jasper or agate. The chiastolite fits the description best, but jasper and agate come in such a wide variety of colors that I don't think they should be ruled out. I've never seen chiastolite offered for sale on the web, so I'm very skeptical.

2. Green stone - aventurine and that is quite commonly available. You can google up "aventurine" and you'll find plenty of pics to compare with your stone.

I took a look at dendrite as suggested by light2000 and that is a real possibility. Dendrite is a type of agate.

Hope that helps

p.s. do we congratulate you on being...er...you know?

TarotGirlJess

congrads to me? i hope not ( in the nicest possible way) LOL. Not unless you know something i don't and if you do.. share. LOL

I will have to check on the stones, thank you for checking on that... i will check on the great suggestions.
thanks
TGJ