PDA

View Full Version : Meaning of the Descendent in Natal Chart?

sapienza
20-01-2002, 11:41
Hi all. I've recently had my natal chart done and the astrologer who did the reading was incredible. The only thing I'm a little confused about is the meaning of the descendent in the chart. For me it is Cancer.

Is the descendent about qualities that we don't believe we have as we've hidden them away, or is it qualities we simply don't have at all? Or am I totally on the wrong track?

Any help would be much appreciated.
ww

Pollux
20-01-2002, 20:27
I think it's related to partnership, to love.
After all, it is the cusp of the 7th house.
For example, I've heard to say that people tend to get along with others whose sun sign (and/or other prominent aspects) are in their Asc/Disc.
I wonder whether it is true teorically, but in practice it works perfectly for me.
I'm sorrounded by Taurus friends, and those few Scorpio I met, are very important, although irregular, relationships.

Maybe this is also due to my Taurus values of my T-Mercury.

AquarianGoddess
23-01-2002, 09:14
The 7th house is about partnerships of all kinds. It's also about the type of people we attract. You may attract Cancer Sun signs because it's the opposite sign of your ascendant. Opposites attract because they have something you don't and vice-versa. This can be altered somewhat if you have planets in your 7th such as Mars, then it would read as attracting both emotional and aggressive folks.

AG

january
23-01-2002, 10:35
Wow... so, since I'm a Cap. with a Taurus ascendant and Scorpio Descendant this means I attract or meld best with Scorpio people? My mom is a Taurus and my uncle is a Scorpio and there is such a deep connection between us. I also have Neptune in Sag. in the 7th house which is quite peculiar, I attract Sags like bees to honey but the relationship is like a bee STING! (like my first marriage! Ouch!). But does Neptune in the 7th mean I get along well with Pieces-type people too?

I'm just learning astrolgy so much of this is new to me. I just find it incredible how the planets set our life's stage.

~ january

AquarianGoddess
25-01-2002, 11:17
Hi January,

With Neptune in your 7th (and not considering other chart factors) you need to be cautious that you see others clearly, especially love relationships. Where Neptune is in a chart, theres always an element of illusion. This can be modified somewhat by the aspects it makes.

AG

Pollux
25-01-2002, 22:41
january (23 Jan, 2002 11:35):
I'm just learning astrolgy so much of this is new to me. I just find it incredible how the planets set our life's stage.
january
I'm new myself, and here's my humbleness.
You know january, the Leader of this Shire is The DIVA of Water, Her who unseals the flood of Astro-knowledge to us all beginners and rookies.
I hope she'll shine on me and agree.

There's a kinda statistics' study about Neptune in 7th: as a "changing" (IT: "cangiante"= that changes) planet (such as Pluto and Uranus) in the 7th house, it DOES indicate the need of tender unions, of romanticism, of "getting flooded away by feelings and emotions" - a quotation from a Parker Duo Astro-Learnings.
Yet, those who have one in the 7th house tend to change partner "often", I mean... to tend to have numerous flirts even if married. Or to have to stand the partner's flirts!
It was astonishing when I read it, but Nep7th also says that ppl will marriage twice at least!
Just your case, or my imagination? ;D ;D
I'll have some research on that, don't worry! ;p

Pollux
25-01-2002, 22:48
And, just to point out: I've cast my Straying Post spell!
WICCA is the Power! ;D ;D
Shouldn't we talk about Descendants?

My searchs added: Desc. is linked to SEX in relationships, summing the person attitude and opinion of it.

REALLY????? ??? ??? ???
My Taurus Desc. is a wild one then! ;D

january
26-01-2002, 01:33
You know january, the Leader of this Shire is The DIVA of Water, Her who unseals the flood of Astro-knowledge to us all beginners and rookies.
I hope she'll shine on me and agree.

Yes she is... I'm learning so much from AQ!

Oh yes! I am quite idealistic in love relationships and then those rose-colored glasses come off and I wonder, "Who IS this person?" (exit husband #1). The problem was that while I was wearing those metaphorical glasses, I was becoming something I'm not. The Scorpio desc., I'm not sure hurts or helps this! (its a very passionate and intense sign, isn't it?) As far as marrying at least twice, my dad had Neptune in the 7th too and he was married 3 times. Hmmm...

~ january

Pollux
26-01-2002, 04:45
Well then other two cases to add to the statistic study! ;)

The more I walk, the more Astrology seems a science.
GREAT! GREAT! GREAT! GREAT! GREAT! GREAT! GREAT! GREAT! GREAT!
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

purplelady
26-01-2002, 06:34
Ascendent/ descendant ? By ascendent , do you mean the same as rising sign (sign in the first house)
If so , my ascendent is aquarius and Leo is descendent??
I Do get along well with both these signs. Let me know if I am correct on this?
I have Mars retrograde in 7 th house of Leo, And saturn and mercury in 1 st house of aquarius.

AquarianGoddess
26-01-2002, 08:53
Wait....Pollux, now I'm the "Diva of Water"?

The ascendant and rising sign are the same. It means that particular sign was rising at your birth. The descendant sign is opposite the rising sign and is the sign that was setting at your time of birth. All twelve signs rise and set in a 24 hour period.

The Aquarian Diva (hee, hee)

sapienza
27-01-2002, 15:32
So, I'm still a little confused about the meaning of the descendent. Mine is Cancer but I have no planets in the 7th house. Oh but the South Node of the Moon is there.

I'm confused about if it is things we are attracted to because we don't have them or that we don't realise we have. I don't feel like I have many Cancer characteristics or traits at all.

Thanks
ww

Pollux
27-01-2002, 22:24
witchywoman (27 Jan, 2002 16:32):
So, I'm still a little confused about the meaning of the descendent. Mine is Cancer but I have no planets in the 7th house. Oh but the South Node of the Moon is there.

I'm confused about if it is things we are attracted to because we don't have them or that we don't realise we have. I don't feel like I have many Cancer characteristics or traits at all.

Thanks
ww
DON'T YOU WORRY!
We all are confused, I guess!

There's no problem in having no planet in the 7th house, withcy, as there already is the influence of the sign it falls into. You might want to know that 1stH planets are important too, as they oppose the 7th - it's the opposition Sun-Saturn almost, you know, the problem of "Me/Myself Vs Others" thet all of us live more or less problematically!

I'm not accomplished about Nodes, unfortunately, but the Lady of the Lake might shine on us again! So keep hope!
I could try by telling you that in past lives you earned a positive karma as you helped people who had problem with justice, you behaved correctly and righteously; you might also have cared for justice problem fairly (i.e. a fair judge, for example).

P.S. AcquarianGoddess, I hope my playing with your name doesnt' bother you. I only do it because I like you and your name! Otherwise, I wouldn't dare! And still thanks for existing!

AquarianGoddess
28-01-2002, 02:58
Hi Pollux,

You're a real hoot...and humor is the best part of life. Of course I'm not upset...besides, when one dishes it out, one must be able to take it. If you would ask my friends, they will tell you I'm exceptional at dishing it out! It's a miracle I still have friends.

Now, WW,

Everybody is confused; we're under a Mercury/Neptune aspect and a pool of fog. It will lift soon...

Think of the 7th house as "others" in your life. They are the folks who are entrenched in our lives, or those we encounter at the bank or grocery store for just a fleeting moment.

The 7th house tells the story of our relationships...Pollux is correct...you (1st house) verses others (7th house). The sign Cancer on the "door" of your 7th can be described as attracting compassionate, sympathic people or partners, or those who are depressed or sad. Probably over a lifetime, you'll have an equal mix. "They" are your alter ego, so to speak. Where Capricorn (your ascendant) is earthy, grounded and non-emotional, Cancer is the opposite.

My opinion of the South Node in your 7th (which means the North Node is in your 1st) is that in this lifetime, you're seeking to be fulfilled with yourself and letting go of looking for approval from others.

The South Node is where we came from and the North Node is where we want to go, sometimes, kicking and screaming! The South Node feels very comfortable and comforting. It's a secure feeling because we've been there, done that. The North Node is new and different (kind of like The Fool). We're charting into unknown terrirory...it can be freightening.

If you know anything about chart comparisions (comparing the charts of two people, looking for linkages) see if you have anyone in your circle who has a planet close to your North Node. That person will nudge you into the North Node Mode!

If you need further clarification, please ask (but you may want to wait until this fog disappears)

AG

Pollux
28-01-2002, 03:45
AquarianGoddess (28 Jan, 2002 03:58):
Hi Pollux, you're a real hoot...
Now, WW, Everybody is confused; we're under a Mercury/Neptune aspect and a pool of fog. It will lift soon...
Think of the 7th house as "others" in your life...

If you need further clarification, please ask (but you may want to wait until this fog disappears)
AG
Now, I mean, doesn't she speack as a Goddess?
Her words are a sacred book unveiled...
GOD Bless Thee, Acquarian Goddess!!!
THANX FOR EXISTING AND BEING HERE!!!!

P.S. I wonder what Astrological Manual you used, diva!
P. P.S. I just had an idea for a post! ;p

AquarianGoddess
28-01-2002, 23:45
Hello Mr. Pollux,

I've read a few hundred astrology books over the years, but started out with "The Parkers" book, still one of the best.

The series of six books by Marion March and Joan McKevers..."The Only Way to Learn Astrology" is a good beginner to intermediate choice.

Also for beginners is an old book now in reprints by Maxine Taylor, entitled, "Now That I've Cast It, What Do I Do With It?"

AG

Pollux
29-01-2002, 16:30
AquarianGoddess (29 Jan, 2002 00:45):
Hello Mr. Pollux,
I've read a few hundred astrology books over the years, but started out with "The Parkers" book, still one of the best. (...)
AG
WOW I have a Derek and Julia Parker too!
An acquaintance got it (well, it came in instalments with Naples newspaper! ;p ) and (after my insisting, you know what a little demon I am }> ) gave it to me.
WOW! So I'm sure it'r Good stuff - or should I say Goddess stuff? :D