How do you do it?

PlatinumDove

I've got an interview in a few days at a shop that advertised looking for a tarot card reader, so spur of the moment I decided to put in an application, and now I've got an interview for the position (part-time). So, I need to know from the professional readers out there.... How do you read professionally? That sounds like a silly question, I know, but online, I can just describe the card, and as I describe it, the meaning comes to me, obviously I can't do that face to face with someone.

So, how do you do a professional fae to face reading?

dadsnook2000

Help is on the way

First, get yourself a copy of Christine Jette's book, Professional Tarot: the business of reading, consulting & teaching. Skim it for your interview, then read and re-read it.

Any good interview has one objective; impress the might-be-boss with your appearance and confidence. Clearly define how you prefer to work, what you need for facilities, determine what portion of your fees that you will keep and what will be shared with the establishment, have a code of ethics & practice written out. Your decks and accessories should be professionally packed and carried -- don't pull them out of your pocket or purse. Be prepared to give a sample reading.

Remember, don't give away your profits. You will be bringing traffic to the store, helping to sell books and other items. If this establishment is a book store with a coffee shop, you might want to set up near the coffee shop, that will bring added business to them also. Determine if there are other readers of tarot that practice there, what hours & days have the most traffic and whether there are "events" held there. Events are often advertised and there is no reason why you can't have a small share of the advertising that the store carries out. Good luck, keep us informed, and don't be afraid to ask more questions -- this forum is very supportive. Dave.

mnemosyne7

PlatinumDove said:
... online, I can just describe the card, and as I describe it, the meaning comes to me, obviously I can't do that face to face with someone.

Hi Platinum Dove,

I'll second Dadsnook's great ideas about the business of reading. Jette's book is a good beginning.

As for your question about how to read in person ... do what you do best. If your approach has worked in on-line readings, it should certainly work in person. The only difference is that you are speaking instead of typing. Look at the card, describe it as you see it, the meaning will come to you just as it always does, then tell your client that meaning. Frankly, describing what you see on the card will likely draw your client in further - get him/her actually looking at the card, and possibly becoming more engaged in the reading - because s/he will want to look at the card more closely.

And about that "fae to face reading" - it might have been a typo, but bringing the fae along to the interview might be a good idea if they promise to behave themselves.

At the interview, you'll likely be asked to do a couple of readings. Trust your cards, trust your knowledge and trust your insight. Go for it, and keep us posted on how it goes.

Mnem

tarotbear

PlatinumDove~

Although will not exactly 'help' you, I think you should check out this article:

Go to www.tarotschool.com and look up button for 'articles'. Look for August 1998 '22 suggestions for doing readings at fairs, etc.' It will help you immensely in projecting a professional attitude for your interview, and possibly help you do the 'face-to-face' bit.

PlatinumDove

Thank you guys for the advice, I'll be reading that article very soon, and yes the "fae to face" was a typo lol.

Simone

One advice I would give is use a deck you know well.

Being there with a deck you first have to take a good look at will lose you time and credibility.

Start talking and let your intuition flow - just as it flows when you describe the card. (i do that too by the way, describing the card first, online)

And there is nothing wrong with describing the card: you could include it naturally in your reading by showing your querent what you mean..

and - be natural and confident (easier said then done, i know) ;)

my 2 cents...

Love
Simone

tonto

PlatinumDove said:
I can just describe the card, and as I describe it, the meaning comes to me, obviously I can't do that face to face with someone.

Stick to a number of throws (spreads) you are comfortable with. Remember the positions as the old friends they are who speak to you regarding the card which comes to rest within their domain.

Speak from your heart. Don't analyze and try to understand as you can't encapsolate knowledge, if flows and changes as you express and share it. Look for overall patterns, such as a preponderance or combination of Suits, Numbers (aces, fives etc.) Court Cards and/or Major Arcana.

Feel free to ask your querent questions. You are as much a guide as a messenger. They may have insights and understandings which you help guide them to realize without yourself ever knowing the depth of the connection.

Much of the knowledge will come as much from your interpretation of the cards message as from the unconscious "knowing" of the querent. They will recognize the information as much as you present it. They are active participants in the process as much of the energy comes from them as well as yourself.

Some of my thoughts, but what do I know! I'm just the Fool!

I know you will do wonderfully even if you do feel a little awckward at first. Remember it is through the courage to make mistakes and the strength to continue after them that we grow, learn and evolve. Remember to laugh often and always acknowlege you are performing an act of caring so your energies open to the querent.

Ace

PlatinumDove said:
I've got an interview in a few days at a shop that advertised looking for a tarot card reader, so spur of the moment I decided to put in an application, and now I've got an interview for the position (part-time). So, I need to know from the professional readers out there.... How do you read professionally? That sounds like a silly question, I know, but online, I can just describe the card, and as I describe it, the meaning comes to me, obviously I can't do that face to face with someone.

quick answer: the same way I do a phone reading. SPend some time talking about what the symbols on the cards are with the querent. They will find it interesting and it will help you. Don't worry. Do the reading your way, if they don't like it, it wasn't a good job fit for you anyway.
Ace