PDA

View Full Version : Reputation feature?

Mother Goose
17-06-2005, 14:37
Am I correct in thinking this is a vbulletin message board? If so, I was wondering if there was a reason you don't use the reputation feature. I use it quite a bit on other boards and find it very convienent when I just want to applaud someone's response. Then the user gets feedback to their response without detracting from the thread itself. Just curious. Thanks :)
MG

Solandia
19-06-2005, 22:55
Hi Mother Goose,

Yes, the Forum runs on vBulletin software. I'll look into the reputation feature; we have the capability but have never really used it.

~ Solandia

Mother Goose
20-06-2005, 17:39
thank you for your response, Solandia! Our tech person on the other board arranged it so no 'bad' reps can be given...to avoid people using the feature to hurt someone's reputation just because they disagree with an opinion. Just thought I'd mention that in case that might be a concern. :)

Sulis
20-06-2005, 23:54
I personally don't like 'reputation features'.

I used to use a board that used them but I turned the option to give me stars off.

I like to judge people by what they say to me at a particular time. Not by how many stars they have after their name.

Love

Sulis xx

Alta
21-06-2005, 01:09
I have never seen this in action, but from what has been said, the idea makes me wonder how it could be mis-used.

Mother Goose
21-06-2005, 02:11
I personally don't like 'reputation features'.

I used to use a board that used them but I turned the option to give me stars off.

I like to judge people by what they say to me at a particular time. Not by how many stars they have after their name.

Love

Sulis xx

Well, like you said if you don't like it, turning it off is an option. But I really do like being able to give someone a quick 'that's an excellent comment' even if I don't really want to add anything to the thread subject itself. And on the other board...we don't use stars...we just categories such as 'on a distingushed road' 'making a name for themselves'....none of which really tell other users just how many or how few rep points have been given to this person.

Sulis
21-06-2005, 04:44
I can see what you're saying but I still don't like it.

If you have something to say to someone then you should just say it - you should contribute to a thread..... I just think it's a bit like another form of hierarchy - this person is better than that person because they 'are on a distinguished road' or is 'making a name for themselves'.

It's a way of judging people, whether that is the intention or not that's what happens.

Sorry but that's my opinion.

Sulis xx

PlatinumDove
21-06-2005, 05:00
I'm tending to agree with Sulis on this. I know from personal experience (heck, I did it myself), that when new people come here or any other message board, they tend to give more credence to someone whose name has 5 stars behind their name, they tend to take their opinion as "gospel" truth.

Mother Goose
21-06-2005, 09:43
okay...it was just a suggestion. I do see your point...more especially on a board like this. :)

TenOfSwords
05-07-2005, 10:27
Just a small note, even though it seems that the consensus allready is on not using that feature:

From modding experience on 20k+ member boards, it really never works out in real-life (it might seem a good idea ideally). The main problem is that there'll be a significant skewing of the rating people get so that members that have really valuable contributions don't get the recognition they deserve for their effort (some people just don't appeal to others that way, social mechanism I suppose) and people that are well-known and highly visible, but perhaps not contributing much, get a lot of credit without putting any real effort into it.

In reality, a rating system is going to reflect the members social status and not the quality of their contribution (those two might be related for a lot of people of course). You could say that a rating will always be based on charisma.

Just an input
:)

SphinYote
16-07-2005, 05:47
It comes up from time to time on the mysticWicks board (I'm assuming what you all are refering to is the same thing as the "karma points" feature they have over there, I don't know enough about message boards to be sure though.

On the one hand , it feels really good to get points, I know from time to time, it's kind of a pick me up to see that someone's given me points for something when I've had an otherwise bad day.

However the negative points get an extremely negative reaction often, with someone posting a message to the entire board abot how so and so gave them red (negative) karma and how ticked off they are about it. It does get misused or perhaps taken very personally, I should say, when someone gets points docked....

That said, I usually don't look to see how many points a person has, I read their posts. It's just not an issue to me, unless someone makes it one, at which point sometimes I'll do a search for the offending thread/post just to see what I missed, more out of morbid curiosity and to see which side of the debate I agree or disagree with (if any).

There's two sides, and I think that it would probably be best for everyone that if there is such a feature, you don't include the ability to take away points, because it causes a lot of hard feelings (although it keeps things...lively...yeah that's a good way of putting it...lively). But seeing that someone's given me points does give me a little ego boost, and sometimes I need it, so I actually like the feature when it's available...

And again, I'm assuming throughout my post that karma points over there are the same thing as the reputation feature...if I'm wrong, then, well, ignore this entire post...

rcb30872
16-07-2005, 07:40
I don't like this idea much at all. I mean, I have to agree with that it can be misused and that someone can use this when they take exception to what someone has said to them or just generally totally disagreed with them in one of the threads.

I would say that if you want to congratulate them and whatever, just stick it in the thread and leave it at that. If you have a problem with what the person may have done or said, then you should be able to try and sort it out with the person, and if all else fails get a moderator to intervene. I guess, what I am saying it should be treated just like any other dispute you may have in life in general, for example what you would do in a work situation if you have a problem with a fellow employee/colleague.

Bec

Eco74
16-07-2005, 09:12
As opposed to "karma coins" I rather like getting a PM or response in a thread about something I've written.
That has the same kind of ego-boost as the "karma coin" would have, but better because it's not just a click, it's an investment of time and thought and personal attention. And negative feedback is the same.
Getting a reply in a thread saying "I think you're wrong and here is how I feel about it" would also in my opinion be better than recieving a "bad karma message" delivered by mouseclick.

This is in my experience a board of great magnitude, that inspite of its size is very personal. Partly because of the subject and largly because people take their time to write posts that make sense, that are written out in full words (as opposed to using abbreviations as often as possible and replacing letters with numbers etc.) and that have some connection to the other writers and not just with the subject.

I like it without the reputation feature, because it sets us all on the same level.
The newbies (and we all remember what it was like when we were there) could well feel threatened by the high ratings for some and chances are they would either do whatever it took to climb or give up and not dare to participate in the "elite threads" where he "high ranks" are playing.
That would be a great loss, because from my experience even the most "blanked out" and "ignorant" newbie who claims to know nothing of tarot has had a lot of very sensible things to say, and I've seen those with much experience on the boards learn from these statements that have come up from "nowhere".

I might be making a bigger deal of this than it is, or would risk to become should it be put into place, but I really prefer the forum the way it is.
The risk of it becoming "elitist" is just too high if we add ratings to make it visible who is better than who at "all things tarot".
It's better that we all frolic amongst eachother and share the knowledge we have in different areas. That way we are free to find our own idols without being blindsided by stars or ratings placed by others, who may be looking for something completely different than what I'm looking for.

rcb30872
16-07-2005, 09:15
Totally agree, Eco74

Bravo!!!

Bec

Sophie-David
16-07-2005, 11:06
I also stongly disagree with a having a reputation feature, even if the points could only be awarded positively. As SpinYote suggests, I think it would tend to be a measure of charisma rather than of the value of a particular post. Personally I would much prefer verbal feedback, whether in agreement or not, than any kind of point-and-click rating.

I also think that those with a high rating would tend to intimidate some members, particularly new ones. Although you are made very welcome here, this is still a very large and somewhat daunting place to participate in when you've just joined. Heck, I even remember a time when I was intimidated by moderators. ;)

Cheers - David

Eco74
16-07-2005, 20:52
An afterthought, thanks to Sophie-Davids post..

When I first joined the boards, I was already awed by the sheer amount of posts that people had, and if someone with more than 500 posts replied to one of my comments I was flying high on the feeling for days whether it was in agreement or saying I was wrong. And if a moderator or someone with 1000+ posts replied, I was flying even higher. :)
The simple reason was, I had gotten the attention of someone with so much more experience than me. Mixing more into the pot by awarding points of any kind would make the entry to the forum and the accustomization to the community more complicated, and I really feel it can be overwealming enough as it is.

Now I've realised that the openness and friendliness on the boards really exclude noone, but this is a rare thing indeed and a somewhat neutral startingpoint is needed for people to stay on long enough to catch on to how things work here.