PDA

View Full Version : A meta-tag change?

full deck
19-06-2005, 17:42
Solandia, by chance, was doing a Google search and turned up a posting I made on AT not but five days ago! This suggests to me that you are getting way too many hits from indexing web bots, which can drive up your traffic for the site. It occured to me that you may want to change your meta-tags to keep out bots or modify how many times they come back since they must be hitting the site like mad. I don't know your site statistics but I have seen notices about bandwidth posted so . . . it's just a thought.

best . . .

Solandia
19-06-2005, 21:53
Hi full deck,

Thanks for the suggestion, I've made a few changes in order to keep bots away from certain parts of the forum and save on some bandwidth.

~ Solandia

Alta
19-06-2005, 21:55
Good point! I have also noticed what a high percentage of 'guests' are bots. And with a lot online the site gets very slow.

TenOfSwords
05-07-2005, 09:45
Hi full deck,

Thanks for the suggestion, I've made a few changes in order to keep bots away from certain parts of the forum and save on some bandwidth.

~ Solandia

Just a thought: If you have an interest in having AT referenced by search engines, there isn't really any need to allow them access to the forum at all (this generates load on the database server as well as trafic) because the "interesting" information for searches could easily be indexed from the non-forum pages (such as the main page and "learn" "books" pages etc).