Dear Tarot Reader....

Satori

I want a reading.

I got a reading once in high school with a bunch of friends.
It was a beach trip the day after Senior Prom and we all went in and got readings from the Tarot reader on the boardwalk.
It was so scary, because we each went in alone, and the woman sitting there was this big woman with a heavy accent and we were all giggling out in the waiting room, but when it got to be my turn I was just so scared.
When I think about it now, the woman looked really bored.
She was just sitting there in this folding chair and she was sweating, and she looked up at me with a blank face and asked me what I wanted.
Did I want the palm reading alone or the Tarot and the palm, or handwriting analysis.

I was so overwhelmed I had no idea what to choose, and so I chose the palm reading, but I really wanted my cards read.
It didn't matter to her, she waited and seemed to look thru me, and when I chose palm, she just picked up my hand and started.

Now, it is years later and I want that Tarot reading.
And I'm still nervous.

There is a bookstore near where I live that has psychics who do readings.
I want to go but I'm so afraid they might tell me something bad.
I don't want to know anything bad, I want to know that things are going to work out for me and my husband and that my kids are gonna do great things and that my dream to be a writer is not just a dream......
But how can a stranger know anything like that about me??
I think that is so scary to go to a psychic and they know everything about you, and they'll know I'm scared...

I wonder if they just make it all up. They see your wedding ring and they see your keychain and they make it all up, because they see you're married and that your kid made you something for the keychain, so they know you have at least one kid...

I heard that you know.
That psychics just make it all up because they don't know squat and so they ask you a ton of questions and by the time you leave you've spilled your guts and so you don't get a reading you get a bunch of what you just told them but with a few creative twists thrown in for kicks.

And even tho I heard that I still want a reading.
I must be crazy!
Why would I want a reading knowing that?
I don't know if its true but I'm gonna go get that reading, and I'll know if they ask me a bunch of questions they are fishing because they don't know what they are talking about.
So I'm gonna be really quiet, and just smile, and agree, and see what happens.
And if it looks like they know what they are talking about, I might asnwer a question.
I don't know tho.

But I really want that reading.
I want to know how I'm gonna die.

But if they tell me that I'm gonna freak out. I mean it.
I'm gonna freak right there.
If that Death card comes up I will just freak out.

I heard Death doesn't mean literal Death, but then why have a Death card?
I mean, how stupid is that?
I'm so scared of that Death card.
I've never really seen a Death card, but I know they are in the cards and I know about that Devil card.
I bet I get the Devil card.
Then I'll have to go church and then everyone will know I was at a fortune teller's because I'll have to confess it.
And if I don't confess it then I am lying to God.

God forgive me.
I'm going.
I'm going tomorrow after work.

I hope I don't find out anything bad.....

MareSaturni

Dear...i'd tell you to calm down, to drink a warm tea and sleep. But i think a good luck is also appropriate.

I know how you feel...there are times in which you want to do something or want something, you aren't sure why, you don't even know if you need it...you keep asking yourself why why why. And then...boom!, you go and do it!

That's the way i found and bought my Thoth deck, which i love nowadays. Thinking back, it was a nice choice.

I hope you get a nice surprise too :)
If anything bad comes (and i really doubt it'll be death), at least you're warned and can started doing something about it.

Think positive! And good luck!

:TPW Yuko

Satori

*smiles*

I think I should add that this is a fictional dialogue that I present as to what may be going thru a person's head when they come to us as readers.

You are lovely miss_yuko! thanks for your warm and kind words.
I am a tea drinker, so off for a cuppa!

HudsonGray

Oh, thank God! Yes, I guess the querants can be really pretty high strung when they sit down. Someone like this would be hopeless unless the reader had a good 15-20 minutes to just calm them down somewhat, and even then the person probably isn't listening to what they say.

I wonder how many readers are just tempted to tell people that are so psyched up the wrong way to just go home & eat some comfort food... ;)

Satori

And part of this did happen to me.
I created a composite of several readings I had when I was much younger...and lumped them into the reading here...

LOL, gave you a scare eh, Hudson??

I present this just to remind all of us that people are good actors.
You never know what is going thru a person's head during the reading.
I've gotten some real surprises when I sit down with people. With what their prejudices or misinformations are all about.

MareSaturni

elf said:
*smiles*

I think I should add that this is a fictional dialogue that I present as to what may be going thru a person's head when they come to us as readers.

You are lovely miss_yuko! thanks for your warm and kind words.
I am a tea drinker, so off for a cuppa!

You can call me just Yuko ;)

That's was a nice dialogue...could belong in a movie ;)
Would be really fun...imagine, a movie in which you can hear the main character's thoughts while they are getting a reading. Fuuuuun!

I had my cuppa too...cold winter asks for tea!

:TPW Yuko

EminemsAngelBaby

Elf!
You've got quite the talent for writing there! I can totally see this in a play.....or movie. But live, onstage....a monolouge for the graduating showcase class....oh yeah. It's good. You should write plays.....I want to know what happens! Would you mind if I used it sometime? EAB

Satori

As in perform this???
As long as you send me a video of it!! Sure!

Little Baron

I could read much much more of that elf!

Love your writing style; it is so believable and runs through in exactly the same way that my own mind's voice does.

Thanks for sharing

LB

EminemsAngelBaby

Yes, I think it's fabulous. You have a way of getting into a characters thoughts and putting it into believable dialogue. And it builds, just like a good monolouge does......I love that she wants to know about her death....makes me wonder about her life up to this point.(But you don't know about this until near the end) Where is she now, what is she going through, etc. Really you could build a whole story around this piece.