First Crystals

MareSaturni

Which crystals do you think are 'basic'? I mean, those 'must-have' ones, that all people who start working with crystals should look for first?
Also, which are the most 'versatile' crystals, in your opinion?

Thanks!

:TPW Yuko

lunakasha

Hi miss_yuko....

Here are some recommendations to get you started; I am sure others will add to the list, but these are what I would consider "must-haves" and should be fairly easy to acquire:

--Clear quartz: THE most versatile crystal, it can be used for any purpose, or to magnify the energy of another stone. It is also "self-cleansing" and can be used to cleanse other stones. Citrine is another self-cleansing stone.

--Rose quartz: is a nice, calming stone that will attract positive, loving energies from others as well as "self-love" and overall happiness.

--Amethyst: has many purposes. Great for spiritual matters, meditation, grounding. Many people use it to help with deeper sleep and/or dream work.

--Malachite: One of my personal favorites. It is often called the "love and money" stone because of its green color, which corresponds with the heart chakra. I find that it is great for promoting confidence and positive energy.

--Black tourmaline: GREAT for keeping negative energies away, it offers psychic protection and helps me relieve stress. Any black stone will help in this area (obsidian, Apache Tear, onyx, jet) but I prefer tourmaline.

Those are just a few....good luck and have fun building your collection!!!

:) Luna

WhiteRaven

If you plan on doing any Chakra work with Crystals then I suggest having all the colours of the Chakra...

I agree with lunakasha's list with the addition of Hematite for protection purposes....excellent stone for that! The rest of the list is a great starter!

A good reference book to start with is also "Crystal Enlightment" by Katrina Raphaell which you can find either new or used at Amazon.com

joya250

Lunakasha and White Raven definitely good recommendations.

Not be be redundant, but if I was to make a list, I would definitely include: clear quartz, rose quartz, amethyst, hematite... as well as citrine.

lunakasha

WhiteRaven said:
I agree with lunakasha's list with the addition of Hematite for protection purposes....excellent stone for that! The rest of the list is a great starter!

Oh yes....how could I forget hematite??? :eek:
I actually wear a hematite ring, I wouldn't want to be without it....

Yuko, please let us know how you're doing with the new collection!!!

MareSaturni

lunakasha said:
Oh yes....how could I forget hematite??? :eek:
I actually wear a hematite ring, I wouldn't want to be without it....

Yuko, please let us know how you're doing with the new collection!!!

Oh, i'm doing fine.
I have many crystals that i don't know the name...i like them, thought i don't use them much.

I'm my 'power' collection (the crystals i really use) i have so far: clear quartz, amethyst, black tourmaline, fluorite, garnet, malachite, sodalite, rose quartz, pyrite, onix, hematite, agates (w/ different colors), obsidian , citrine, ambar (that is in a ring :D), green quartz, rutilated quartz, carnelian...and that's it when i remember right now. Yes, i bought some crystals today following your advice, Lunakasha! ;)

They are all small though. Big crystals are too expensive. I wonder if the size matters at all...my small crystals feel so powerful when i'm using them.

You don't, i don't know much about chakras, but i guess i want to learn. My grandomther is into reiki and chakral and crystals (she works with it), but she lives in another city so i can rarely see her.

What are the chakras colors? I want to see if i have a crystal to each ;)
And how do you work with them? Hum...i'm curious now!

~Yuko

WhiteRaven

The Colour of the Chakras are:

Root - Red
Sacral - Orange
Solar Plexus - Yellow
Heart - Green
Throat - Blue
Third Eye - Indigo
Crown - White

The laying of Crystals is demonstrated in the book I referred to in my post above. It shows the different Chakras and Crystals that are associated with them. It's a great book to have. To start explaining the different methods and stones to place on each chakra and how long would take another book ;)

Reiki hand positions on the Chakras for clearing also works quite well. Holmes, a member here at AT, would be able to give you more information on Reiki and Chakra work. He's been practicing and teaching Reiki longer than I have. You might want to PM him for more details.

MareSaturni

WhiteRaven said:
Reiki hand positions on the Chakras for clearing also works quite well. Holmes, a member here at AT, would be able to give you more information on Reiki and Chakra work. He's been practicing and teaching Reiki longer than I have. You might want to PM him for more details.

Thanks a lot, WhiteRaven! I'll look for the book, as you said, though i believe it'll be hard to find it in Brazil.
I guess i'll look a bit more for information on the web...i don't want to become a master, but i think it'll be helpful with the recent 'energy' problems i've been having...

I'd PM him, but i'm shy :")
Don't think i'll have the courage...

lunakasha

miss_yuko said:
I'm my 'power' collection (the crystals i really use) i have so far: clear quartz, amethyst, black tourmaline, fluorite, garnet, malachite, sodalite, rose quartz, pyrite, onix, hematite, agates (w/ different colors), obsidian , citrine, ambar (that is in a ring :D), green quartz, rutilated quartz, carnelian...and that's it when i remember right now. Yes, i bought some crystals today following your advice, Lunakasha! ;)

They are all small though. Big crystals are too expensive. I wonder if the size matters at all...my small crystals feel so powerful when i'm using them.

Sounds like you've got quite a collection already....and I forgot to mention amber, which is one of my personal favorites. Great for creativity and confidence. :) And don't worry, size does not matter at all....most of my crystals are small, pocket-sized and they work just fine. The energy is there, regardless of size.

What are the chakras colors? I want to see if i have a crystal to each ;)
And how do you work with them? Hum...i'm curious now!

Here is some info on chakras, colors and stones (from Healing Crystals and Gemstones by Flora Peschek-Bohmer and Gisela Schreiber):

Root chakra (red): garnet, hematite, red jasper, onyx, black tourmaline.

Sacral chakra (orange): orange beryl, orange jasper, citrine, carnelian.

Solar Plexus chakra (yellow): tiger's eye, topaz, amber, citrine.

Heart chakra (green or pink): aventurine, jade, chrysocolla, moss agate, malachite, emerald, tourmaline, rose quartz, coral, rhodochrosite.

Throat chakra (blue): aquamarine, celestite, moonstone, lapiz, turquoise, blue topaz, opal.

Third Eye chakra (indigo): amethyst, sodalite, sapphire, fluorite.

Crown chakra (violet, white and gold): amethyst, clear quartz, violet fluorite.

Of course this is only a suggested list, there are many others you could use, but it looks to me like you've already got enough stones to cover all chakras.

MareSaturni

lunakasha said:
Here is some info on chakras, colors and stones (from Healing Crystals and Gemstones by Flora Peschek-Bohmer and Gisela Schreiber):

Root chakra (red): garnet, hematite, red jasper, onyx, black tourmaline.

Sacral chakra (orange): orange beryl, orange jasper, citrine, carnelian.

Solar Plexus chakra (yellow): tiger's eye, topaz, amber, citrine.

Heart chakra (green or pink): aventurine, jade, chrysocolla, moss agate, malachite, emerald, tourmaline, rose quartz, coral, rhodochrosite.

Throat chakra (blue): aquamarine, celestite, moonstone, lapiz, turquoise, blue topaz, opal.

Third Eye chakra (indigo): amethyst, sodalite, sapphire, fluorite.

Crown chakra (violet, white and gold): amethyst, clear quartz, violet fluorite.

Thanks Luna, this list was very helpful! I hope to not bother you, but i'd like to ask one mora question...two, actually. The first is if any 'color' crystal can be used for the chakra with the same color, ie., any blue crystal can be used on the Throat chakra.
And, the second...do you carry your crystals around? Which ones do you think are best for 'everyday' life?

(oops, ended up being three..sorry!)

Thanks again for the big help you've been giving me! It's much appreciated :)

Love & Light!