can anyone help me with my memory!

belmer

HI wonderful peoples!
I am just wondering if anyone has any special 'tricks' for remembering the main things about the cards. I love learning about the tarot but have a shocking memory! Can anyone help?
thanks heaps

light2000

Hi and welcome belmer !!

Nice to meet you.

When i started i wrote the name and the menaing of the cards at they.
And there are a RWS whith the meaning too.

belmer

thanks for that. nice to meet you too light. just wondering what RWS is? I haven't done this for a while. I will definately start writing things down though. I think that will help heaps.

satinangel

Hi belmer,

Welcome to AT!

You might want to try journaling! What I feel about the card; what I think it means and then some key words...It's helped me tremendously!

belmer

thanks satinangel. Great minds think alike! I just went and grabbed a spare exercise book for just that. I am on the tarot meanings site by 'thirteen' and it is wonderful. I have done a few readings and they have been pretty accurate but I have had to refer to the book alot thru the readings. Thanks again for the suggestion.
There is some lovely people on this forum! Totally enjoying this site!

Little Baron

Hi Belmer

I can relate to you because my memory is bad as well.

I don't think there are that many tricks - or at least, not that I have found, anyway.

There are a few things that may help though -

A journal always helps. If you take a card a day by random and write about it, it is a good exercise in finding out what the card means to you, as well as what it means traditionally. Say you draw the '2 of Cups' tomorrow, as an example. Throughout the day, think about ways that that card could make sense in your life - you may bump into an old friend in the street, you could be going out for a drink with your partner, you could make a new friend, you may pass on some valuable experience to one of your teenagers. Look at the image in the card and jot down how it feels for you - how the colours make you feel, what the characters in the card (if there are any) are doing. Do a little research at the end of the day and see if other's insights match your own. How do they compare? How do they differ? Jot down what you find out. The more you do this, the more the cards will become yours. As well as learning the details of what they mean traditionally, you will weave your own experiences into them, which will help you remember their meanings more when they turn up again.

I have a page for each card in a book where I jot down things every so often that help. You are sure to pick up some very interesting stuff on this site. Take what makes sense and leave the bits that do not.

LB

light2000

RWS id the Rider Waite-Smith Decks.

There are one, that i dont know the correct name, that have the meanings at the cards.
I have this decks, but honestly i dont know the name, but you can find it at the forum, at the decks section.

Ok?

Little Baron

Seems like three great minds thought alike there ....

RWS is Rider Waite Smith, as in the Rider Waite deck (Smith being the artist).

LB

Annabelle

Hi Belmer :). Welcome to Aeclectic!

RWS is just an abbreviation for the Rider-Waite-Smith tarot.

As for how to remember the meanings of the cards, the best advice I can give you is to use them often for readings. Read for yourself and for others - and if you don't want to do "live" readings for others you can participate in reading exchanges here at Aeclectic. The more readings you do, the more quickly you will start to remember what each card is about - or at least that's been my experience. :)

Edited to add - It looks like several of us were explaining "RWS" all at the same time! Sorry to be repetitive . . .

belmer

you are all wonderful!

You wonderful,beautiful people. Thank you for taking the time to help me with my problem. I am going to sign off in a minute(if I can tear myself away from here!!!) and start my journal. I will do a page for each card and as suggested, take one a day and see what happens from there. HOW EXCITING! I can't thank everyone enough for all your support.