Numerology and astrology.

Sauwelios

I found out, for myself at least, which numbers correspond to which signs and vice versa. I have always found that corresponding but different symbols illumine each other's meaning: as Nietzsche says, the truth may stand on one leg, but it can walk, run, and dance only on two [paraphrase]. Here, without further ado, is my list of symbols:

1. Aquarius
2. Pisces
3. Aries
4. Taurus
5. Gemini
6. Cancer
7. Leo
8. Virgo
9. Libra
11. Scorpio
22. Sagittarius
33. Capricorn

Just a minor example: 33 is the number of self-sacrifice, among other things. Now the Christ is born on December 25, making him a Capricorn. This is not how I hit upon this insight.

Phoenix Rising

Hi Sauwelios

Looking at your zodiac and number correlations they are not correct. It's the planets that rule the zodiac, so it's the number in which the planet represents. Jesus was not born on 25 December, that was changed by Constantine to fit in with the summer solstice. I will get back to you on the number and planets.

sagewriter

Sauwelios said:
Just a minor example: 33 is the number of self-sacrifice, among other things. Now the Christ is born on December 25, making him a Capricorn. This is not how I hit upon this insight.

I hate to be a bearer of bad news. but i believe that people have more or less shown that christ was not born on december the 25th. he was actually born some time in summer. but some sort of pagan festival got merged with a christian one, and it was far simpler to keep with one date, in december.

i can't remember the exact story, but it is something like that!

sagewriter

Phoenix Rising said:
Jesus was not born on 25 December, that was changed by Constantine to fit in with the summer solstice. I will get back to you on the number and planets.

Yay, that's what it is. i hate trying to explain things!

Lynda

To be fair, it doesn't really matter whether Christ was literally born on Dec 25 or not, it's all symbolism anyway.
Lynda

Pipistrelle

Sauwelios said:
1. Aquarius
2. Pisces
3. Aries
4. Taurus
5. Gemini
6. Cancer
7. Leo
8. Virgo
9. Libra
11. Scorpio
22. Sagittarius
33. Capricorn
Hi Sauwelios,

This is very interesting - I like trying to find connections between things but I haven't yet attempted with numerology & astrology.

It would be good to hear your reasons for these correlations. For example, 1 as Aquarius makes sense to me - they both possess direct, confident, leader type qualities. Virgo & 8 seem to go together well also. (I'm not saying those are the only two examples which I agree with - just the only two I'm quoting here!)

What about some of the others? I'm Sagittarius so I'd be especially interested to hear the reasoning behind the 22. :)

Pip

Phoenix Rising

These are the numbers that represent the different planets.

1-Sun (Leo)
2-Moon (Cancer)
3-Jupiter (Sagitarius)
4-Uranus (Aquarius)
5-Mercury (Virgo, Gemini)
6-Venus (libra, taurus)
7-Neptune (Pisces)
8-Saturn (Capricorn)
9-Mars (Aries)
0-Pluto (Scorpio)

Sauwelios

Phoenix Rising wrote:

"It's the planets that rule the zodiac, so it's the number in which the planet represents."

I do not understand this sentence. Are you sure it is gramatically correct? In any case, this is the way I feel, and know, the signs correspond to the numbers and vice versa; in order to find how the planets correspond to the numbers, I think we should look at things like the esoteric rulers of the signs, etc.

"Jesus was not born on 25 December"

That's why I did not say "Jesus", but "the Christ"... The Christ is actually the "reborn" sun, reborn three days after the Winter Solstice - compare the three days between Jesus' supposed death on the cross and his resurrection: souls were thought to remain in the body for three days after death. A more rational explanation is the fact that the days only get longer three days after the Winter Solstice, and not immediately afterward.

sagewriter wrote:

"some sort of pagan festival got merged with a christian one"

Actually, Christianity, when it did not suppress Pagan rites and customs, simply appropriated them. Thus you will find that not only Christmas, but also Easter and Pentecost are Pagan festivals.

Lynda wrote:

"it doesn't really matter whether Christ was literally born on Dec 25 or not, it's all symbolism anyway."

Yes: sun-symbolism.

Phoenix Rising wrote:

"These are the numbers that represent the different planets.

"1-Sun (Leo)
2-Moon (Cancer)
3-Jupiter (Sagitarius)
4-Uranus (Aquarius)
6-Venus (libra, taurus)
7-Neptune (Pisces)
8-Saturn (Capricorn)
9-Mars (Aries)
0-Pluto (Scorpio)"

Yes, that's the traditional list; I have corrected it. Let us compare it with mine:

1-Sun (Leo)

Is not Aquarius the opposite sign to Leo? In Eastern astrology, Aquarius is called the Tiger [though there it is appointed to a lunar year instead of to a solar month].

2-Moon (Cancer)

Pisces, the Fish [plural] has, as a water sign, everything to do with the Moon [which moves the tides]; the traditional mistake of identifying 2 with Cancer is most understandable as Cancer, too, is a water sign.

3-Jupiter (Sagitarius)

At the Numberquest Numerology website, it says among other things, describing the number 3:

"Creative, Optimistic, Enthusiasm, Expressive, Charming, Humor, Fun"
http://www.iawake.com/numerology/number_3.php

One could add to that "Tiresome", and understand the relation with Aries...

This correspondence is for me mostly intuitive.

4-Uranus (Aquarius)

Does this not sound like a Taurus:

"Practical, orderly, patient, logical, hard-working, loyal, builder, steadfast, frugal, responsible, earthy, planner, materially creative, green thumb, even tempered"?
http://www.iawake.com/numerology/number_4.php

I have only to add to this that 5 is more like Gemini, an air sign, then like Virgo, which is an earth sign. Mercury is more in his element in Gemini than in Virgo, anyway:

"Adventure, change, freedom, exploration,
variety, sensuality, unattached, curious, experienced, periodicity, knowledge seeker, knowledge teacher, traveler, imagination, child-like, playful."
http://www.iawake.com/numerology/number_5.php

6-Venus (libra, taurus)

Why is Venus associated with 6? Because of her motherly qualities. That's why Cancer comes even closer.

I will leave it at this for now. Why? Because it is an off-putting thought to have to explain the next six [which are "deeper" and therefore harder to understand for the rational mind] in the face of sterile acceptance of the traditional. What is required especially for understanding the next six is intuition - like Pip exemplifies. But before I reply to her, I will first look at Crowley's list of correspondences: for, traditionally as well, the numbers correspond to the Sepiroth, the spheres on the Tree of Life.

1 (Kether) - Pluto.

Pluto, Uranus - let us leave it at this: that Kether transcends rational comprehension. But the sign of Uranus, a Sun sign (circle with dot in the middle) with an arrow pointing straight up, should remind the Qabalistic mystic that Kether is located (in the microcosm, the body of man) at the top of the head, corresponds to the Sahasrara Chakra, and is the point of entry through which the Boundless Light streams into the soul.

2 (Chokmah) - Neptune.

Neptune, the planet, is named after the Roman god of the Sea, who corresponded to the Greek Poseidon. I also associate Vishnu with this sphere, one of whose possible etymologies is "fish".

3 (Binah) - Saturn.

Aries is ruled by Mars. Both Saturn and Mars were once deemed "unfortunate" planets (Mars being the god of War and Saturn the nemesis of his son, Zeus. I am eager to expound on this, as Saturn can be viewed as the Roman Satan, the nemesis of Ju-piter, Father Zeus, whose name is cognate to the Latin and Romanic words for "God" [for instance French "dieu"] - God the Father. I will refrain, however, from making an exegesis for which I shall need to refer to (William) Blake - this warrants its own thread.)

I will leave it at this again. I could argue that Zeus (Jupiter is Crowley's assocation with 4, Chesed) transformed himself into a bull (Greek "tauros") in order to capture Europa, carrying her off to the sea (the birthplace of Aphrodite - Venus), but this will get much too far-fetched.

Pip, I find it a bit peculiar that you ask me for reasons - you who say something vague as "Virgo & 8 seem to go together well also". Do not misunderstand me when I call this "vague": what I mean is that you clearly base your judgement on feeling, not reason. I have much "reason" to associate 22 with Sagittarius, though I can hardly explain: I find it wearisome, to explain.

Minderwiz

It's a very interesting approach and if it works for you then it can help give you insights - I certainly agree that insight can come from comparing the approaches of two or more esoteric systems.

The problems come in trying to force a fit, rather than recognising loose similarities. The list of planetary numbers, wherever it comes from is not traditional - it includes Pluto, so it is not yet 80 years old at best - a moment in the lifetime of Astrology, which stretches back 3000 years (as does Numerology).

Strangely enough there is a traditional planetary order - though it is not without challenge, even in its early days. This is the Chaldean order -

1 - Saturn
2 - Jupiter
3 - Mars
4 - Sun
5 - Venus
6 - Mercury
7 - Moon

Now I'm not claiming that these are absolutes or indeed that this numbering corresponds to the way in which a modern (or even traditional) numerologist would view planetary energies. My point is that this is a traditional way of numbering the planets in Astrology and it has little to do with Numerology. It does however put the life giving Sun in the centre of the universe.

Ordering or numbering signs presents real problems - even to Astrologers. There are a whole series of ways it could be done. I'll just mention two to add to the discussion. We could number signs from the Vernal or Spring equinox. This gives an immediate problem. Astronomically the Vernal equinox is now in Pisces and indeed many Astrologers use a sidereal (star based) system for the zodiac, whilst most Western Astrologers treat the Vernal Equinox as defining 0 degrees Aries. However the Vernal Equinox 'moves' through the Zoadiac. Before it was in Pisces it was in Aries, and before that in Taurus and even earlier in Gemini. It spends approximately 2000 years in each sign. Any order is therefore open to a lot of debate if we are to attach numerical significance to it. Being aware of this may help us get insights into religion or other esoteric ideas - for example many of the oldest religions have stories of two brothers, or brothers and sisters, or two friends - Adam and Eve are but one example - they may well date back to the time when Gemini marked the Spring equinox but I have no clear evidence to prove this and neither does any other Astrologer (though the much respected Bernadette Brady makes use of this in her book on Fixed Stars).

Pisces may be a Water sign but it's little to do with the Moon (which is Astrologically weak in Pisces)- Pisces is ruled by Jupiter (Zeus). Of course this may lead to an interesting discussion as Jupiter (Zeus) is also the giver of life. There are incidentally other 'dual' signs - Sagittarius and Gemini, so why not 2 for the twins?

Mercury is 'more in his element' in Virgo than Gemini - Astrologically he has dignity by both sign rulership and exaltation.

OK - I'm not trying to be nit-picky but only to give some examples that call into question any direct correlation between planets, signs and numbers. And of course you could begin to look at the discussion between Numerologists on the meaning and nuances of meaning in numbers.

Be careful of setting up systems in one esoteric discipline based on on principles from another - they usually come unstuck at some point - but that does not mean that at a general level you can't make connections and thus get insights.

Phoenix Rising

Hi Sauwellios, well if those numbers work for you then that's good! I guess we can all debate and make numbers fit here and there. I agree with you on the 4 too actually, it is more of a taurean energy. One of the astrologers maybe able to tell you why Venus was assigned to Taurus.

Btw those number correlations are Chaldean. Linda Goodman starsigns is a good reference.