Extra second added in 2005

sagewriter

oooh, i can't wait! i wonder what i'll do with my extra second :D

Phoenix Rising

:laugh: Are you being cheeky Sagewriter??:laugh: Some useless piece of information I know...I'm not sure why I really bothered to post it..LOL probably so I could meet cheeky little buggers like you!! :joke:

dadsnook2000

Oh, not again

This addition of a second of time to the year has happened a few time recently. There are a lot of forces that impact the orbital mechanics of the Earth, the Moon and the Earth's rather plastic (semi-fluid) surface being the two most significant sources. I'll panic when they have to add three or four seconds at one time to the year. Dave

Minderwiz

Then it's a good job that you were not alive in 1752 when they took 11 days out of September :)

dadsnook2000

11 days

Well, those eleven days were a correction to the poor calendar system in general use but was not related to the planet slowing slightly in its orbital cycle. So, I'll stick with 3 or 4 seconds being added at one time as my threshold level for panic. And, there are several calendar systems in common use today which probably accounts for the use of "bce" replacing "BC" in many writings. Dave

sagewriter

Phoenix Rising said:
:laugh: Are you being cheeky Sagewriter??:laugh: Some useless piece of information I know...I'm not sure why I really bothered to post it..LOL probably so I could meet cheeky little buggers like you!! :joke:

lol! i didn't mean it to sound so sarcastic, oops!