PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Exclude Fun&Games Keyword threads from New Posts?

tmgrl2
10-07-2005, 02:26
I would love to see Fun and Games Keyword Games be excluded from

the "New Posts" link...

Maybe we can get a consensus through a poll.

I certainly have played my share of these games in the past, and have played a few more recently, but with the very large number of threads that are currently "alive" in the Keyword Games, I would like to see them excluded from the "new posts" link.

terri

Just my opinion.

The Dreamer
10-07-2005, 02:41
If it is possible, excluding them would be a very good idea.

Those who are playing them can easily be notified of the new posts, which appear so often. Having the many threads in the New Posts helps no one, annoys many people, bumps a lot of threads off of many people's main interface to the forum, and generally gums up the works.

Alta
10-07-2005, 02:57
It might be a good idea to determine if this is possible first.
Suggest you ask Solandia.
webmaster@aeclectic.net

Little Baron
10-07-2005, 03:21
It is funny that you should bring this up Terri, because I was thinking exactly the same thing this morning when I logged on. I often get momentary excitement about the amount of threads there are to read if I havn't been at AT for a couple of days, but then, when I realise it is filled with the Fun and Games stuff, it is a little disappointing. Aside from anything else, it is a pain to trawl through all of those 'new posts', sometimes missing something in between them. I have also enjoyed playing games here as well - Scorpion's 'Indentify this deck' game is a great one.

LB

tao51
10-07-2005, 04:13
If the number of new posts in the fun and games board offend or annoy a person, this is not intentional. Those that enjoy playing the Keyword Games cause the new post dilemma. I am one who enjoys this game of intuition and wits. There are others who seem to enjoy it by nature of the posters. Obviously, not everyone is amused in the same way. I never check for new posts because I am here frequently and follow certain threads. So, it does not bother me if the Fun and Games threads are not included in the NEW POSTS listing. I feel that these are a wonderful group of boards. I have seen great boards reduced to quibbling and infighting. If this is a big issue to people then maybe they can be accommodated. If I have an irritation with something on the boards I usually just grin and bear it. Life is too important than to be bogged down by irritations. Peace--Tao

Little Baron
10-07-2005, 04:21
I don't necessarily find the threads being there irritating and I think the 'fun and games' threads here are great. For me, it would be nice if there was a function that I could 'personally' eliminate certain threads from bits of the board that I don't use as often. Just as a convenience. I don't think anyone is actually offeneded, and appreciate the games played here as well.

Best,
LB

tao51
10-07-2005, 04:33
The tone of some of the replies to this thread and the other one suggests irritation with not being able to limit the new posts from showing up on the New Posts selection. Others specifically mentioned the Keyword threads by name. Peace--Tao

Sophie-David
10-07-2005, 05:37
I actually voted Yes for the Fun & Games to be included in New Posts, but having read other's suggestions I now agree that it would be better if they were not to appear in New Posts. Those who are playing regularly can add the threads they are interested in to their subscription list as I have done in the past, or go to the Fun & Games forum to find new ones. New Posts has the advantage of casting a very wide net so that you can pick up on new subjects from throughout the forums. But I can see that the amount of traffic created by games would make the New Posts list almost unusable. I have found that I have had to focus my time with greater discipline, so I am accessing neither New Posts nor Fun & Games anymore - I'm pretty much a neutral party in this question.

Imagemaker
10-07-2005, 05:45
I'm with Terri on this one. Most games don't fill the new posts screen like "keywords" does, which shows it's hugely popular, but for me it really fills screen after screen of "new posts" when I'm quickly checking for interesting thread titles.

But I suspect the software will not allow this selection option.

Flidais
10-07-2005, 06:09
I admit it bugs me to have to scroll past all the Keyword posts looking for threads I might be interested in. There are so many every time I log in. It gets to be a bit much. If they could be excluded from New Posts, that would be great.

tmgrl2
10-07-2005, 07:13
It might be a good idea to determine if this is possible first.
Suggest you ask Solandia.
webmaster@aeclectic.net

Thanks, Marion!!

I did that just now...so perhaps Solandia will comment in the thread or e-mail me....

Part of this was to allow a forum to see if it made a difference to anyone or not...If it stands, so be it...but before there were so many more posts from other forums popping up in the "new posts" link.

I always abide by whatever Solandia and moderators decide....it's Solandia's house...and whether she can do or would do if she could ultimately isn't important in the larger picture...It was just something that has been bothering me somewhat.

My thread was not intended in any way to be a criticism of those who enjoy playing these games...I have been an active participant in the past and may again jump on board some of them.

terri

Grigori
10-07-2005, 13:59
Solandia did mention at the conference she already has plans to upgrade the search features so members can find what the areas they are interested in easier.

Seems like as usual she is one step ahead of us :D

tmgrl2
11-07-2005, 01:43
Solandia did mention at the conference she already has plans to upgrade the search features so members can find what the areas they are interested in easier.

Seems like as usual she is one step ahead of us :D

Thank you!!

We all have such diverse interests, that any changes in refining the search options will probably be most helpful...once again, Solandia IS steps ahead of us!

terri

firemaiden
11-07-2005, 02:46
Absolutely, I was just thinking the same thing, because every time I go to "new posts", I get one million key word game threads, in which I have zero interest, and it annoys me no end, because I have to sift through them to find the rare non-game thread, like looking for a needle in a haystack. (Okay, so I exaggerate) but, yes, I was just wondering how one might be able to get them off the new posts. I thought maybe giving them their own separate board all together, like off-site, might be good. I admit, it's been really bothering me.

OakDragon
11-07-2005, 02:56
I always just visit only the forums I'm interested in that have new posts. Sure, it takes longer than the new posts thing would if there were no keyword games, but it's alot quicker as things stand presently.

Alissa
11-07-2005, 02:59
I admit it bugs me to have to scroll past all the Keyword posts looking for threads I might be interested in. There are so many every time I log in. It gets to be a bit much.I agree completely. I never play the Tarot games, just not my thing, and at this point, there are so MANY of the keywords games and all the rest - more than the forum has ever sported at one time before. And, they remain active every day, so they never have a chance to drop out of sight either. Clicking through page after page after page of game threads in New Posts, just to hunt and peck for a few meaty, conversation threads, gets tiring... to me.

gregory
11-07-2005, 04:16
Maybe - if Solandia is upgrading the search function - the "new posts" function could be selective, with a drop down like so many of the other excellent buttons (this site is SO good compared to most, I have the gut feeling that Solandia could do this if anyone can !!!) - say, new posts in: - chat - fun - trading etc, so we could all look at the new ones in the areas that interest us. Like Oakdragon, I tend to look for new posts only in the threads I'm watching, but when I have gone to look more generally it can be hard work - it seems to be the keyword games mostly - I do play the games myself ( :| ) but there are an awful LOT of keyword games ! I've actually gone off looking for new posts generally and just go to thread lists....

Fulgour
11-07-2005, 04:24
I am happy to see the level of involvement
and know that it reflects enjoyment and
even some "serious" fun. I like to play too!

But it's just one of those things, being so
often that there are so many repeated...

Maybe what this will do is bring in more players?
Things do have a way of working out for the best.

OakDragon
11-07-2005, 04:49
Like Oakdragon, I tend to look for new posts only in the threads I'm watching, but when I have gone to look more generally it can be hard work - it seems to be the keyword games mostly

That's not quite what I meant. I just mean that I usually just look at the forums from the main index page and go to the forums that interest me that have new posts (signified by the ones that have the yellow-background checkmark next to them as opposed to the blue-background one). Then I only look at threads whose titles sound interesting. The keyword games don't enter into it unless I happen to go to the Games & Fun forum.

BTW, I PM'd Lark recently to suggest that keyword games should perhaps get their own subforum in Games, so that may help with going directly to the forum and still having the proliferation problem, too, if that gets implemented.

LadyMedusa
11-07-2005, 07:01
I answered other.

I would like to see custom settings for new posts. I do not use "new posts" because it takes so much time to weed thru the ones I have no interest in.

If it's not a possibility now, maybe it will be in the future. In the mean time I will keep doing what I usually do. :)

LadyMedusa

tao51
11-07-2005, 07:47
I have been following this thread for a while. The thread has posters who dislike the keyword games threads because it interferes with the "New Posts" option. I understand this issue. I do not use this function but this is not my site. I am seeing this issue grow into possibly a separate board for the keyword players. My love of AT has been that it allows all levels of interest and involvement. I do not care to be part of a controversy. Peace--Tao

Ace
11-07-2005, 07:52
I really had to consider this before I finally voted that "It really doesn't matter to me." I am also a little inconvenienced by all the keyword game posts. but if I cut out games I would miss out on great threads like, "You know you got a bad Tarot deck when... " and "What question do you WISH people would ask?" And besides, I am also inconvenienced by all the Circle of stone threads, since I am not participating right now. So for me, I would rather get some threads that I must skip over (or not as I choose: I do think Keyword games are a great way to work on finding new prospectives on each card) than have to make a special effort to find them-which I might not bother with.

I think a custom setting for New Post search would be nice, but I would probably leave it open anyway. That is IMHO.
Ace

gregory
11-07-2005, 08:05
Good points there - I am now very glad that I voted other, as I wasn't quite sure what I wanted !!! (I rarely am !!) Now that you mention it, there are a lot of other ones, like people's reading groups, that fill New Posts up too. I think the best way is to do your own thing, as several people have said.

tao51
11-07-2005, 08:10
I really had to consider this before I finally voted that "It really doesn't matter to me." I am also a little inconvenienced by all the keyword game posts. but if I cut out games I would miss out on great threads like, "You know you got a bad Tarot deck when... " and "What question do you WISH people would ask?" And besides, I am also inconvenienced by all the Circle of stone threads, since I am not participating right now. So for me, I would rather get some threads that I must skip over (or not as I choose: I do think Keyword games are a great way to work on finding new prospectives on each card) than have to make a special effort to find them-which I might not bother with.

I think a custom setting for New Post search would be nice, but I would probably leave it open anyway. That is IMHO.
Ace
I could not agree more.--Tao

tmgrl2
11-07-2005, 08:14
I have no doubt Solandia will come up with a solution re searching!!

She usually does....

Meanwhile....our AT is always a marvelous place and we can usually find what we need if we search.

terri

firemaiden
11-07-2005, 08:24
I do not see this as any kind of controversy. This is merely an exploration of people's preferences. I would love to see this one game disappear from the new post radar screen. Not all of the games forum, just that one game, because there are other threads in games that are interesting. Just my preference.

Little Baron
11-07-2005, 08:28
Absolutely Terri ...

It is nice to know that we all have an interest in the tarot and also that we have such a great community of people here.

I think, personally, that the ideal solution for me would be, if it was possible, that we could adjust settings from our control panel. In the same way, when we do a search, we choose whether we want it to search titles or content. If we could put a little tick in the boxes of the subjects we wanted to retrieve new posts from then we could eliminate which we didn't ... until the day that they might be of interest for us.

I hope that anyone who uses the Games forums regualrly do not feel victamised by a lot of the posts in this thread; I think it is just about finding ways to keep everyone happy with different needs.

Best,
LB

PlatinumDove
11-07-2005, 08:31
I said that it doesn't really matter to me, since I don't use the new posts option, I just visit certain boards that I'm interested in.

tmgrl2
11-07-2005, 09:47
This thread was not meant to stir controversy.

We often hold discussions about our preferences re the forum operation.

We have also, as a result, been instrumental in effecting changes in the overall structure of the various forums....Solandia does take into consideration various opinions and then, she must see how any changes fit within the framework of possibilities for change from her perspective and from the perspective of the flexibilites within the website....

As firemaiden said, this isn't about "removing" any threads from the Fun and Games Forum. Certainly, anyone looking for those threads would go immediately to the Fun and Games and

Voila! There they are...

But...for some, perhaps many of us, we click on "new posts" as a way of seeing threads that exist across all the forums, threads that perhaps we might miss if we had to open each forum separately and then scroll down the most recent ones.

I have interests in many of the forums and rely on the "new posts" to bring forward those threads that have a lot of activity, signaling a high interest.

So we shall see what comes of Solandia's review of the search modes here at AT.

I appreciate and value everyone's input and the poll does seem to indicate that a fair number of people don't seem to mind that so many Keyword Games pop up among the limited number of new posts that one plumbs from clicking on the "new posts" link.

terri

Free Flight
11-07-2005, 12:26
I thought I would weigh in on this discussion.

I am player along with Tao51 and some other verbal masters of the alphabetical keywords games. I also use the New Posts function.

I voted for the the Games not to be included in the New Posts option despite the fact I use this function a lot for that specific reason

The reason for this bizarre answer...well when I use the new posts option and follow this function to play my keywords games, it is envitable that some of the games I wish to continue with do not appear in new posts and I end up going into the games thread to track them down anyway. Hence i have stopped using this for this for the games and tend to head straight into that area to play....

I can understand why non-players of these games would find this frustrating at times...
Equally though I thought I would add the following statement:
I do not consider the new posts option a definitive searching tool as sometimes great posts can be missed because people have not replied and these can quickly slip out of sight and be missed. I use the search function to see what is NEW and then I drill down into each area to see the poor abandoned posts with 0 replies to see if there is something I have missed

just my two cents worth however redundant this may be

thanks

FF

Ace
11-07-2005, 12:34
I do not consider the new posts option a definitive searching tool as sometimes great posts can be missed because people have not replied and these can quickly slip out of sight and be missed. I use the search function to see what is NEW and then I drill down into each area to see the poor abandoned posts with 0 replies to see if there is something I have missed

Excellent point: the new posts search only picks up on posts that have been made since you last visited. If a thread you were intererested in has not been posted on since your last visit, it will not come up that way.

Just today for example: I had wanted to post on the "Nap Time! ..Do you get tired after reading?" thread, and since no one had posted (yet) on it since my last visit, I had to go looking for it. It didn't appear when I hit new posts.
Ace

tao51
11-07-2005, 13:25
Excellent point: the new posts search only picks up on posts that have been made since you last visited. If a thread you were intererested in has not been posted on since your last visit, it will not come up that way.

Just today for example: I had wanted to post on the "Nap Time! ..Do you get tired after reading?" thread, and since no one had posted (yet) on it since my last visit, I had to go looking for it. It didn't appear when I hit new posts.
Ace
A point well taken. I also agree with Free Flight. Ever since this "discussion," I started to use the "New Posts" search. I hve not been that impressed because it only lists threads with a recent post. If I am watching a thread then I would select or have it listed as a "watched thread" in my control panel. I do not have trouble manually scanning through the various boards to find threads of interest. I do understand why this might be tedious to some people.--Peace--Tao

Fulgour
11-07-2005, 20:24
Alphabetical Keywords
Alphabetical Keywords
Alphabetical Keywords
Alphabetical Keywords
Alphabetical Keywords
Alphabetical Keywords
Alphabetical Keywords
Alphabetical Keywords
Alphabetical Keywords
Alphabetical Keywords
Alphabetical Keywords
Alphabetical Keywords
Alphabetical Keywords
Alphabetical Keywords
Alphabetical Keywords

WolfSpirit
11-07-2005, 22:44
I vote it does not matter to me. The new posts feature does not work so well for me because:
1. I think the system only registers visits that were made through accessing from the net, not replying to a mail (which I usually do as I get email notification); so new posts since last visit is not right for me.

2. There is too much to read so I have to select what I want to read anyway, and I do that via browsing the forums.

3. I like browsing the forums more than I like getting a list.

4. As already mentioned - threads that get overlooked don't make it to the New Posts page and that is a pity.

Of course, this is just personal and I understand the irritations by people who like this feature. However, I already think AT is of a technically very high standard ~ let's not get too upset if the system does not do exactly what we want.

gregory
11-07-2005, 23:14
The best way is surely to watch the threads you like, check for new posts in those and add new ones to your own watch list when you want to.... - you find new things of interest by looking all over the place anyway, not just in new posts.... (here speaks one who found the "feeding a two year old" thread at the weekend by sheer chance....!) That is the only way to be absolutely selective !

I LOVE THIS PLACE !
(I am at work again.... Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh)

:)

tmgrl2
12-07-2005, 00:42
True....we can miss a thread that we might find interesting if we only click on "new posts" especially if we have been away from AT for a few days...in that case, I, too, wind up going through some of the forums and scanning down.

At least we are leaving some feedback that may prove to be of some help.

I have over 200 threads on my "subscription list." So these are the threads I check first. Even the Advanced search option only goes back so far....a year ago...so I have some threads on my "watch" list from the time I joined....often I go back to them when I want to use them as a link in a new thread on a similar topic.

terri

Moongold
12-07-2005, 19:46
I have not said anything so far but just went to New Posts and all but two are Alphabetical Key Word games.

It would be great if we didn't have to wade through them, no offence intended to the game players :)

Elven
12-07-2005, 23:52
Hi All :)

I must be on a short leash at the moment, but yeah, I look forward to the New Posts as Im here most of the day and I find it a quick alternative to going through every forum to see whats happening all over the board. Thank goodness I have just discovered the Search function!!! Yes Im slow I know!!! its saved me from going to New Posts all that often! And yes .. sometimes I have to get up and leave the computer because there are what I think are 4 pages of new posts and there are - but they are Alphabetical Games. Big Breath - Oh well, Im not into the games thread at the moment or new members - it happens with that forum too sometimes - but after sitting on the fence for the duration of the thread, Im about to fall into the 'Cant wait to see what Solandia is going to do with the board' side of things.

Just my opinion - no off-fence is meant! *Elven falls off fence* LOL!!:D

Many Blessings
Elven x

Solandia
14-07-2005, 21:29
I have a potential solution - a new feature that will allow selected forums to be hidden on an individual basis, so each member can choose which forums they don't want to see in New Posts, search and on the front page. I expect to be able to enable it within the next month, hopefully sooner.

~ Solandia

Little Baron
14-07-2005, 22:42
Perfect!
Thanks
LB

Phoenix Rising
14-07-2005, 22:53
There does seem to be an overwelming number of new posts from the tarot fun and games, and although I do play them sometimes, it is not what I'm looking for in the new posts. Having to have to scroll past them to find a subject of interest, they're starting to take up a whole page sometimes. We can always just go into the Fun and Games forum, if we want to play them.
So I voted to have them excluded from the New Posts!

gregory
14-07-2005, 23:20
I have a potential solution - a new feature that will allow selected forums to be hidden on an individual basis, so each member can choose which forums they don't want to see in New Posts, search and on the front page. I expect to be able to enable it within the next month, hopefully sooner.

~ Solandia
That is BRILLIANT, Solandia. How nice to be able to do such things. I am HUGELY impressed ! Will it mean that you can see Fun and Games but exclude the Keyword games ? It's easy enough to just watch the games you play !

Not that it matters - I'm just curious, as one who loves web pages, and have one posted but NOT in your class !

tmgrl2
15-07-2005, 00:18

~ Solandia

Wow..this is a great solution!! That way everyone has a customized "New Posts" menu....

Thank you so much, Solandia!!

terri

tao51
15-07-2005, 03:02
Solandia always comes through! She is the greatest!

tmgrl2
15-07-2005, 04:20
I agree, tao!!

That's the beauty of having discussions here about preferences...Solandia is so willing to consider making changes that a number of people think might prove to be helpful.

terri

tao51
15-07-2005, 05:12
The joy of this thread was that people all dealt with it maturely. Now, we have everyone taken care of. You could tell that Solandia returned!--Tao

SphinYote
15-07-2005, 05:22
I don't know about the notification thing, as I don't use it, but I would additionally like to juggest that they have a subforum of their own within the Fun and Games forum, if that's possible.

Mainly simply becaue I don't really play them except once in a great while, and I really like seeing the other types of games people come up with. Unfortunately, the Keywords games bump them right off the screen onto the next page in a very short time...

I think the Keywords games are a great idea, it's just that personally I don't think the other threads get enough...time in the spotlight?

lark
15-07-2005, 07:24
I think OakDragons suggestion that Keywords be a sub forum is a good one.
Maybe then you could exclude that sub forum if you wanted to, but still see the rest of Games and Fun in New Posts.

tao51
15-07-2005, 07:39
That would be a great idea. I do like the Fun and Games. I like the keywords but I also like other games started. A sub forum might satisfy everyone.--Tao

PlatinumDove
15-07-2005, 08:31
This would be great, something like how we can search for certain words, and check off which forums we want to search in.