PDA

View Full Version : Help! My pendulum broke...

Aura Wolf
21-07-2005, 16:47
This has been one of the worst days ever for me, in addition to a bunch of worse stuff that happened, I can't seem to find my Malachite stone and I'm really longing for it--there's nowhere else closeby I can get a new one right now. So I was trying to find it with my pendulum and not having any luck, and I was shifting the pendulum in my hands before I put it away and realized the tip broke off! That just ruined the day completely for me :( It's a beautiful amethyst pendulum, it's one-of-a-kind from SRgoddess's store on eBay and it is/was very special to me. I don't know what I should do. I could try gluing the tip back on but as of right now I can't find it! I will keep looking but it could be anywhere in the apartment.

The piece that broke off was a fair chunk of the tip, not gigantic but not miniscule either--I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else and my main question is, is there any chance the pendulum will still work properly with its tip missing? I know it's just a weight on a string and I think some people even just use balls or rings, but I'm wondering if due to the size and shape of the pendulum this will alter its swing...(it is cone-shaped with a flat top). May seem like a silly question but I am out of sorts right now...

wizzle
21-07-2005, 23:03
Star,

I can relate. What a tiresome thing to happen.

As you said, anything will do for a pendulum, but I know you felt a special relationship with yours. It would probably work OK, but if it were mine I'd be annoyed constantly because it's broken. Somehow it would never be the same and therefore wouldn't work for me.

Maybe this is a sign that you should make a pendulum of your own. Here's a thread that has lots of ideas for making one

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=42610&highlight=diy+pendulum

Hope you feel better.

Emily
22-07-2005, 01:46
Hi Star Spirit,

I'm thinking too that your pendulum broke for a reason - usually it would take alot to break a crystal - sometimes crystals just stop working for us.

I had a piece of amber that I wore as a necklace for around two years, the chain was quite sturdy but it broke, I replaced it twice after nearly losing the amber stone, and the third time the chain (another new one) got broke I took the amber off and put it with the rest of my crystals. The stone did feel different. Maybe retire your pendulum with the rest of your crystals and work on finding a new pendulum.

I'm really connected to the little brass pendulum I use, even if my SO says it looks like a plumb-bob lol - I've always liked brass anyway. :)

zorya
22-07-2005, 01:55
i'm with the others, things like this usually happen for a reason.

perhaps your malachite went missing for a reason, and the universe is telling you to stop looking for it right now.

stones have a tendency to disappear and sometimes reappear, at just the right times. ;)

not actually seeing the break, it does sound like it's not so major that the pendulum would stop working.

however, i wouldn't use it for a while.

i suspect if you let go, and trust in the universe, the thing (gemstone?) you do need, will present itself to you.

lark
22-07-2005, 02:03
Hi Star Spirit
Maybe you could contact Dana at SRGoddess, I'm sure she'll be able to replace it for you.
I have 7 of her wonderful pendulums and she is so great to work with.

So sorry that happened.

Elven
22-07-2005, 03:39
Sorry to hear about your pendulum :( and what youre going through at the moment.

Hope this helps...

You could take it to a Lapidary - a place where they tumble and shape stones and crystals. If its a natural point it may have broken down the vein, if it is a manufactured point, it may have a chipped tip. You can find them in the phone book.

... if you would like to have it fixed, you can always make the intention of 'fixing the tip, and fixing your life'. Its like focus on and DO an action that resembles what you need to activate and achieve.

Healing your crystal - healing your heart, restoring the flow, maintaining the balance, getting back into the swing of things, divining, calling on the help of others, focus, yes/no descisions, making a point, repairing damage, polish, shine, clarity, sharpness, creating energy flow.

just a thought, seeing it is precious to you. I hope things look brighter for you very soon :)
(((((((light)))))))

Many Blessings
Elven x

Aura Wolf
22-07-2005, 13:05
Thank you all very much for your input and suggestions, and especially thank you for reminding me that things happen for a reason. This is my philosophy and I seem to have taken it for granted during these sad times.

This all seems very strange to me though. Like a kind of mocking irony....because as I mentioned I was just at a crystal shop last week...6 hours away and I love that store...the first time I'd been there in a long time. I bought a piece of Malachite for my grandma and bought some more stones for myself (I am making a Lithomancy set after reading Chronata's wonderful thread) and my piece of Malachite was going to be my Male stone (maybe it doesn't want to be?). But it seems weird because I could have bought one had I known! AND even weirder, there was a pendulum there that I fell in love with--a man-made opal that was a brilliant translucent aquamarine blue and absolutely glowed...but I refrained from purchasing it because I told myself I loved my pendulum and certainly didn't need two when I didn't use mine enough anyway :)

So now I'm having a dilemma about what the universe is trying to tell me.

The Malachite is its own story....maybe it doesn't want to be my male stone because it is one of my favourites, maybe it wants to be kept separate? :) And I can't order a new one from anywhere because I need to see and feel my stones in my hands before I buy them....so I really hope it turns up...

As for my pendulum....I've thought of being faithful to it and repairing it if I find the broken piece, but so far I haven't found it and if I do would it ever be the same? Unfortunately I don't believe there are any Lapidaries around where I live. I've also thought of contacting Dana and seeing if she could make me a new one but I wonder, would THAT be the same? I've also thought maybe I could call that crystal shop and ask the lady if I were to send her a check would she mail me that pendulum I loved, and maybe I could somehow replace the plain chain it had with the beautiful beaded one on my current pendulum, so that it could still be a part of my pendulum work? But I don't know if that's the right thing to do....

Any thoughts on this? I know it's a silly thing to dwell on but I feel a small sense of loss, and I have to honour my pendulum in some way in the attempt to replace/renew it...

lark
22-07-2005, 13:22
I think it would be wonderful to put the opal pendulum bottom on the beaded chin of your present pendulum.
If I remember right you have the Stobie Peale pendulum.
It would look beautiful with the stones on that one.

I bought an aqua aura pendulum bottom and it had a plain chain.
I sent it to Dana and she created a beautiful beaded chain for the bottom to hang on.
So I don't see anything wrong with making the pendulum your own by putting a new pendulum bottom you feel very attracted too on your existing beaded chain.

Hope you find your Malachite soon.

Aura Wolf
22-07-2005, 17:25
I think it would be wonderful to put the opal pendulum bottom on the beaded chin of your present pendulum.
If I remember right you have the Stobie Peale pendulum.
It would look beautiful with the stones on that one.

I bought an aqua aura pendulum bottom and it had a plain chain.
I sent it to Dana and she created a beautiful beaded chain for the bottom to hang on.
So I don't see anything wrong with making the pendulum your own by putting a new pendulum bottom you feel very attracted too on your existing beaded chain.

Hope you find your Malachite soon.
Thank you lark. Actually I had considered the Stobie Piel (sp?) pendulum but mine is actually an Amethyst Infinity pendulum. I love purple, it is my favourite colour and amethyst is a wonderful stone for me, and I also love the infinity symbol it's so meaningful :) so this was natural for me. It's got an amethyst bottom and oddly a sort of "eye" in one spot near the base, where you can see through the crystal in one area and I liked that. The chain was sterling silver with an infinity charm in the middle and amethyst beads. I love my pendulum, just describing it makes me sad :(

I don't know. I hope I find the tip maybe I can just repair it....

Anymore thoughts on this are appreciated.

Webwitch
23-07-2005, 05:57
I was always taught, and have come to believe myself that if a crystal pendulum breaks, it is passed its useful life. It is time for it to retire.

It is time to move on to another pendulum ... perhaps of a different kind.

I'm sure you will find a suitable replacement in the future. Do not fret; these things happen as and when they should.

Try to sit down and meditate on the situation you have found yourself in; using your tarot would be ideal for this.

Cheers,
Webwitch :)

Aura Wolf
23-07-2005, 08:43
Thank you webwitch, I was thinking of doing a tarot reading. It just seems so odd to me... I barely got any use out of my dear pendulum, how could it be worn out? Honestly I've only used it a few times and only had it for a little over a year I think. But perhaps you are right...maybe it just wasn't meant to last any longer than that. But I keep remembering, they say a broken crystal is good luck. I wonder where that fits into this situation :D

Edited to ask: If I were to obtain that man-made blue opal pendulum I loved, do you guys think it would work the same as a natural crystal pendulum? I don't really have an opinion yet on the difference between man-made and natural crystals...and I guess it also depends on how a person believes the pendulum works, whether it be your subconscious, energy of the crystal/metal, spirit guides, etc. I tend to lean toward the subconscious (especially since a lot of people make pendulums out of just about anything, even sewing needles and have them work). But if I were to switch the chain for my amethyst beaded one, it would have some natural crystals in the works :D I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

Webwitch
23-07-2005, 10:22
Star Spirit

I had one pendulum (I think it was amethyst) that worked for only one month before it cracked and then shattered beyond repair. Whilst I owned it, it worked wonderfully.

I was a little bereft without it.

Then, one day whilst walking through a rather large mind, body spirit fair, I came across a peddlar of crystals, and hanging from one of his many rods was a perfectly shaped quartz crystal. It was exactly how I had always imagined the perfect pendulum to be.

It took time to get used to it - after all I was used to inclusions, cracks, rusty chains, etc. - but now I could not do without it. It even travels with me now (carefully wrapped in silk inside a padded pouch).

I would say give it time. Sometimes crystals absorb the energy (hematite is meant to be particularly prone to this) and then cannot take any more - so I'm told.

Let us know how it all works out for you.

Cheers,
Webwitch :)

Aura Wolf
24-07-2005, 07:25
You are right WebWitch....well I feel this may be the pendulum's way of telling me that it's okay for me to purchase another, now that it is broken...I would still like the blue opal pendulum, though I am still wondering how well a man-made crystal would work as opposed to a natural one. Perhaps if you are using it with your heart's intent it doesn't matter what the pendulum is made of...

How does everyone else feel about this?

Emily
24-07-2005, 09:54
If you were really drawn to the pendulum then once you have conditioned it it should work. I fell in love with my brass pendulum through the plastic of the box it was in, I didn't get to touch it until I'd got it home.

I've never had much luck with natural crystals, I have a lovely citrine pendulum but no matter how much time I spend with it, it won't work with me. My brass one just feels so right.

Lots of people can use just about anything for a pendulum so maybe the blue opal would work for you. :)

Aura Wolf
24-07-2005, 10:39
If you were really drawn to the pendulum then once you have conditioned it it should work. I fell in love with my brass pendulum through the plastic of the box it was in, I didn't get to touch it until I'd got it home.

I've never had much luck with natural crystals, I have a lovely citrine pendulum but no matter how much time I spend with it, it won't work with me. My brass one just feels so right.

Lots of people can use just about anything for a pendulum so maybe the blue opal would work for you. :)

Thank you for your input Emily. I think you are right, everyone seems to be drawn to all sorts of different things. My amethyst pendulum worked wonderfully for me, I'm sad that I didn't get to use it more. I forgot to mention that after my pendulum broke....I asked it if it would still work for me and it seemed very confused...it would swing straight for yes for a few seconds and then immediately change direction and swing in a circle for no...and it kept doing this over and over until I stopped it. So I think I do need a new one :(

But I think I will try to call the lady from Earthlight and see if she could mail me the blue opal one :) I would love to combine that with my chain. She had at least two in store and it did seem to call out to me--she even noticed :) I'd still like to hear more from you guys, this is a very interesting topic for me...

By the way, I decided to use a piece of Picasso Jasper for my "male" stone in my lithomancy set--I now have 4 pieces of Jasper in it!

Aura Wolf
27-07-2005, 08:08
Update:

I called that lady back about the opalite pendulum and she said she'd run out (darn) and wasn't sure if she could get more in. I can't find them anywhere on the net, and was looking at some of Dana's (srGoddess's) again...but none of them seemed quite right, and so at the time decided to confer with her about having one custom-made...but then I picked up my pendulum and realized how special it was...so instead I asked her if I could purchase a new amethyst bottom--this pendulum is just so ME :) But I haven't heard back yet, so not sure if it's possible. I hope it all works out for the best though...

lark
27-07-2005, 11:51
http://www.bestcrystals.com/pendulums.html

This is a good site for pendulum bottoms...

Aura Wolf
29-07-2005, 12:13
Thanks for the link, lark. I haven't heard back from Dana yet, which I find odd, so I contacted her through eBay as well, hopefully she'll respond. She still has auctions up so I'm hoping something just went wrong with the e-mail. I like buying from her because I know exactly what I'm getting--the picture she has is the exact one I'm getting, so I know what it looks like. Just me :)

Edit: I guess the e-mail had problems, but Dana got back to me and I am going to mail my pendulum back to her and have her fix it :) So I am happy.