Help! My pendulum broke...

Aura Wolf

This has been one of the worst days ever for me, in addition to a bunch of worse stuff that happened, I can't seem to find my Malachite stone and I'm really longing for it--there's nowhere else closeby I can get a new one right now. So I was trying to find it with my pendulum and not having any luck, and I was shifting the pendulum in my hands before I put it away and realized the tip broke off! That just ruined the day completely for me :( It's a beautiful amethyst pendulum, it's one-of-a-kind from SRgoddess's store on eBay and it is/was very special to me. I don't know what I should do. I could try gluing the tip back on but as of right now I can't find it! I will keep looking but it could be anywhere in the apartment.

The piece that broke off was a fair chunk of the tip, not gigantic but not miniscule either--I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else and my main question is, is there any chance the pendulum will still work properly with its tip missing? I know it's just a weight on a string and I think some people even just use balls or rings, but I'm wondering if due to the size and shape of the pendulum this will alter its swing...(it is cone-shaped with a flat top). May seem like a silly question but I am out of sorts right now...

wizzle

Yes and no

Star,

I can relate. What a tiresome thing to happen.

As you said, anything will do for a pendulum, but I know you felt a special relationship with yours. It would probably work OK, but if it were mine I'd be annoyed constantly because it's broken. Somehow it would never be the same and therefore wouldn't work for me.

Maybe this is a sign that you should make a pendulum of your own. Here's a thread that has lots of ideas for making one

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=42610&highlight=diy+pendulum

Hope you feel better.

Emily

Hi Star Spirit,

I'm thinking too that your pendulum broke for a reason - usually it would take alot to break a crystal - sometimes crystals just stop working for us.

I had a piece of amber that I wore as a necklace for around two years, the chain was quite sturdy but it broke, I replaced it twice after nearly losing the amber stone, and the third time the chain (another new one) got broke I took the amber off and put it with the rest of my crystals. The stone did feel different. Maybe retire your pendulum with the rest of your crystals and work on finding a new pendulum.

I'm really connected to the little brass pendulum I use, even if my SO says it looks like a plumb-bob lol - I've always liked brass anyway. :)

zorya

i'm with the others, things like this usually happen for a reason.

perhaps your malachite went missing for a reason, and the universe is telling you to stop looking for it right now.

stones have a tendency to disappear and sometimes reappear, at just the right times. ;)

not actually seeing the break, it does sound like it's not so major that the pendulum would stop working.

however, i wouldn't use it for a while.

i suspect if you let go, and trust in the universe, the thing (gemstone?) you do need, will present itself to you.

lark

Hi Star Spirit
Maybe you could contact Dana at SRGoddess, I'm sure she'll be able to replace it for you.
I have 7 of her wonderful pendulums and she is so great to work with.

So sorry that happened.

Elven

Sorry to hear about your pendulum :( and what youre going through at the moment.

Hope this helps...

You could take it to a Lapidary - a place where they tumble and shape stones and crystals. If its a natural point it may have broken down the vein, if it is a manufactured point, it may have a chipped tip. You can find them in the phone book.

... if you would like to have it fixed, you can always make the intention of 'fixing the tip, and fixing your life'. Its like focus on and DO an action that resembles what you need to activate and achieve.

Healing your crystal - healing your heart, restoring the flow, maintaining the balance, getting back into the swing of things, divining, calling on the help of others, focus, yes/no descisions, making a point, repairing damage, polish, shine, clarity, sharpness, creating energy flow.

just a thought, seeing it is precious to you. I hope things look brighter for you very soon :)
(((((((light)))))))

Many Blessings
Elven x

Aura Wolf

Thank you all very much for your input and suggestions, and especially thank you for reminding me that things happen for a reason. This is my philosophy and I seem to have taken it for granted during these sad times.

This all seems very strange to me though. Like a kind of mocking irony....because as I mentioned I was just at a crystal shop last week...6 hours away and I love that store...the first time I'd been there in a long time. I bought a piece of Malachite for my grandma and bought some more stones for myself (I am making a Lithomancy set after reading Chronata's wonderful thread) and my piece of Malachite was going to be my Male stone (maybe it doesn't want to be?). But it seems weird because I could have bought one had I known! AND even weirder, there was a pendulum there that I fell in love with--a man-made opal that was a brilliant translucent aquamarine blue and absolutely glowed...but I refrained from purchasing it because I told myself I loved my pendulum and certainly didn't need two when I didn't use mine enough anyway :)

So now I'm having a dilemma about what the universe is trying to tell me.

The Malachite is its own story....maybe it doesn't want to be my male stone because it is one of my favourites, maybe it wants to be kept separate? :) And I can't order a new one from anywhere because I need to see and feel my stones in my hands before I buy them....so I really hope it turns up...

As for my pendulum....I've thought of being faithful to it and repairing it if I find the broken piece, but so far I haven't found it and if I do would it ever be the same? Unfortunately I don't believe there are any Lapidaries around where I live. I've also thought of contacting Dana and seeing if she could make me a new one but I wonder, would THAT be the same? I've also thought maybe I could call that crystal shop and ask the lady if I were to send her a check would she mail me that pendulum I loved, and maybe I could somehow replace the plain chain it had with the beautiful beaded one on my current pendulum, so that it could still be a part of my pendulum work? But I don't know if that's the right thing to do....

Any thoughts on this? I know it's a silly thing to dwell on but I feel a small sense of loss, and I have to honour my pendulum in some way in the attempt to replace/renew it...

lark

I think it would be wonderful to put the opal pendulum bottom on the beaded chin of your present pendulum.
If I remember right you have the Stobie Peale pendulum.
It would look beautiful with the stones on that one.

I bought an aqua aura pendulum bottom and it had a plain chain.
I sent it to Dana and she created a beautiful beaded chain for the bottom to hang on.
So I don't see anything wrong with making the pendulum your own by putting a new pendulum bottom you feel very attracted too on your existing beaded chain.

Hope you find your Malachite soon.

Aura Wolf

lark said:
I think it would be wonderful to put the opal pendulum bottom on the beaded chin of your present pendulum.
If I remember right you have the Stobie Peale pendulum.
It would look beautiful with the stones on that one.

I bought an aqua aura pendulum bottom and it had a plain chain.
I sent it to Dana and she created a beautiful beaded chain for the bottom to hang on.
So I don't see anything wrong with making the pendulum your own by putting a new pendulum bottom you feel very attracted too on your existing beaded chain.

Hope you find your Malachite soon.
Thank you lark. Actually I had considered the Stobie Piel (sp?) pendulum but mine is actually an Amethyst Infinity pendulum. I love purple, it is my favourite colour and amethyst is a wonderful stone for me, and I also love the infinity symbol it's so meaningful :) so this was natural for me. It's got an amethyst bottom and oddly a sort of "eye" in one spot near the base, where you can see through the crystal in one area and I liked that. The chain was sterling silver with an infinity charm in the middle and amethyst beads. I love my pendulum, just describing it makes me sad :(

I don't know. I hope I find the tip maybe I can just repair it....

Anymore thoughts on this are appreciated.

Webwitch

I was always taught, and have come to believe myself that if a crystal pendulum breaks, it is passed its useful life. It is time for it to retire.

It is time to move on to another pendulum ... perhaps of a different kind.

I'm sure you will find a suitable replacement in the future. Do not fret; these things happen as and when they should.

Try to sit down and meditate on the situation you have found yourself in; using your tarot would be ideal for this.

Cheers,
Webwitch :)