Repeal of anti-witchcraft and fortune telling laws

BobTheViking

It's nice to see sanity make some inroads in this crazy world. :)

Good news for our friends in Australia. :D

Fairawen

I'm not a witch, though I know wuite a few people here at At who are, so good new for you guys! :) I think that's a silly law. They let everyone else practice their religions, why not witches?

~Fairawen~

Elven

Yah Moongold - hows that!!! :)
I never even knew!! LOL!!! There'll be some celebrating tonight under the full moon light!!!

Are these laws still around in other States as well? Or should I be packing up and moving to Melbourne? LOL :)

Blessings
Elven x

rainwolf

There are still laws like that?? That is soooo 1800's LOL. I hope that is one of the last places with those laws...

Moongold

rainwolf ~

I think these laws exist right across the US as well.

Moongold

jmd

A number of us have over the past few years or so made it known to numerous people that this law is still in existence...

...good to see that at least some have paid attention, and the law may finally be repealed!

Thanks for mentioning it, Moongold - I wasn't aware it had been announced until your mention!

:):):)

mythos

A couple of years ago I was being admitted to Box Hill Hospital for a parathyroidectomy (many people in my life have wanted to slit my throat ... these guys actually got to do it), anyway, she says getting back to the point, the admissions officer refused to write "pagan" under religion. I don't actually have any religion ... Buddhist is the closest ... and I was merely ...er ... playing ... but when she refused, I insisted, she refused again ... I took the form from her and filled it in myself. She pursed her lips and led me off to the next stage of the process, muttering under her breath and grimacing all the way.

For the first time during a stay in hospital I wasn't approached by chaplain, priest or other religious representative. Oh, and they now have a different admissions person. Can't remember what I suggested for religion last time I was admitted, but it obviously drew no response ... otherwise it would still be clearly stuck in my addled mind.

mythos :smoker:

Owlface

religion ?

Mythos, I'm sorry for that nasty experience-I hope your throat is now okay too ! The admissions officer should keep their prejudices out of it.

Slightly off-topic : I had a similar experience with a very surly receptionist in A. and E. a while back-a long story, my little son, who is autistic, got knocked down by a bus (I think the bus came off the worse!). Well, I hesitated when this CREATURE asked me "Religion ?" because it's complicated, only to have the guy snarling "Oh, don't you have a religion, then ?" Nasty piece of work. I wrote to the hospital management making the point that maybe it wasn't SUCH a great idea having this entity on the reception at an Accident and Emergency dept., but got no answer. Umm.

Hurray for Victoria ! Happy celebrating !

love

rosyelf

Flidais

rainwolf said:
There are still laws like that?? That is soooo 1800's LOL. I hope that is one of the last places with those laws...
Lots of cities in the U.S. still have laws against fortune telling and the like, including the one where I live. Any attempt to set up an occult store or (gasp!) tarot reading services meets with protests by local Christian groups, who call attention to the law and insist that it be enforced.