Storing tarot cards

starz

I am a beginner. Where to store the tarot cards? I heard that the cards must be stored in a wooden box or in a pouch which is made of natural material.. Are there any other ways?

Eco74

You can keep them in the box they came in, or wrap them in a scarf or readingcloth if you have one. Or put them in any little bag of a fitting size, or hold them together with a soft rubber band (scrunchie or similar) that will not add unnecessary wear and tare to the edges, or leave them in a pile somewhere.
You can use any material you want in the pouch if you choose to make or buy one, and keep it in any kind of box you prefer. Even a ziplockbag will do..

The "rules" on how you "should" treat and keep your deck are not set in stone, and the most important thing is that you keep, use and store your deck in a way that suits you and makes you feel comfortable.
Most people keep their decks in pouches to protect them from bumps when they carry them with them in a bag with other things, or just for decoration because they want to give the deck a nice looking "home".

The only thing I want to recommend is that you find a way to store your deck that keeps it from getting discolored or damaged so basically, keep it in a dry place and try to not wrap or place it in anything that will cause discoloration or other damage.

Fairawen

Heya Starz, I've never met you before so I'll say: Hello! :D

Anyway, to answer you're question: Some people feel obligated to put their cards in special boxes or pouches, but their or no set rules. Just like their are not true set rules for tarot (other then you can't consume the cards... :p) their are really not set rules for how you use them, or keep them.

I personally keep my decks in a cardboard box where I used to keep my books. That's all. No real special treatment. I put an old lace curtain in their to kinda make it look nice, but that's because I like decoration. :)

~Fairawen~

rainwolf

I don't think you have to be really "special" with your cards, even though I do. I guess you can say give them the respect they give you, but I keep mine in bags I make and trade for, and some get a special box, others get a cabinet, but I don't like to keep them in their original box--not nice enough.

If you only have one deck, you could cut a piece of soft material out and wrap them in that and place them in a small box. That should do fine. The cloth can double as a reading cloth too.

Little Baron

The 'rule' is, as everyone else has said, that 'there is no rules'.

What feels good?

If having them in a box makes them feel more special, put them in one. I found a great box for my Thoth recently and it does feel special and 'right' there. It aids the experience of reading with that deck for me.

The Morgan Greer, which I use for most readings is in a drawstring bag because it is portable and handy.

My Baroque Bohemian Cats has a tin for the same reason. I know that the cards will not get damaged in there and it is easy to put in my bag if I want to take them somewhere.

All the other fifty or sixty decks are stacked in a basket in the boxes they came in.

Best,
LB

Ilithiya

All of my decks are in their boxes in a decentish sized Sterilite tub. My deck/book sets are on my bookcase. Nothing special, nothing fancy. I prefer the original boxes over bags because I have a fear of the card edges getting dinged by random objects.

Illy

Lady Maria

My lovely wooden box from the Metaphysical store down the street stained my Universal Rider Waite- The edges turned brown. Luckily I noticed before it did any real damage- so watch out for the staining on wood boxes.

bladeraven

The "box" I got was from walmart and it's very decorative and I love it..it fits my decks well and so far I haven't waken up to any of them standing over me and breathing heavy.........must be the lock on the box that is keeping them in there..

Attachments

• box.JPG
    box.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 620

Reed

Hey Bladeraven!

Love that box. I have something along that line that I got from a crafts store. I keep my cards, a reading cloth and a pouch that contains some lavender/sage incense. Smells wonderful!

bladeraven

Reed said:
Hey Bladeraven!

Love that box. I have something along that line that I got from a crafts store. I keep my cards, a reading cloth and a pouch that contains some lavender/sage incense. Smells wonderful!

Thank you...Surprised to find it at walmart..it was heavens can't remember now..around 8 or 9 dollarish.....oooo..didn't think of placing lavender and sage in the box.....which store did you go?? Thinking of finding a small box to hold my incense but I guess it shouldn't hurt to store incense with the decks too??