Never go to Sedona w/o a budget

L'Etoile

I went last week and ended up spending $100 on decks. Granted, I got two decks that I've been wanting for a while and one I was curious about. But I still spent a hundred dollars. I shouldn't have been able to afford that...

Anyone else ever had this sort of thing happen?

We could form Tarot Buyers Anonymous, if it doesn't already exist.

Grigori

I did that last month. I doubled the size of my tarot collection, and spent a fair bit more than $100....

I did try to join the Tarot Buyers Anonymous group, but I spent all my money on Tarot decks so couldn't afford the membership fees, or the commute :D

Of course I am now the proud owner of several new decks that are occupying enough of my time to discourage purchasing the few more that I really really want... I guess I could buy them and put them away for a little bit... till I'm ready to use them... or maybe I could get a whole bunch at once when Klimt is released... since it will save on postage if I buy 6 at a time, instead of 6 lots of 1.... Plus it would be considerate of me to buy them all at once... after all Jeannette is very busy and doesn't need to talk to me 6 times.... yes in fact buying a whole bunch of decks at once does seem the socially responsible thing to do now that I think about it... and I like to be socially responsible.... might go be socially responsible right now in fact... })

What did you get L'Etoile? Do you excuse it by saying you need one from a different genre, just in case a topic comes up that call for it (cause thats what I do :laugh: )

Fairawen

Uhm, I would be... if I had any money to begin with. :D I'm still poor, and I spend my money pretty quickly. However, I do spend it on things that I really use, and aren't too frivelous. I buy alot of videogames, because I have a big family that plays them too. I haven't bought a tarot deck yet, because every time I have money I can't find a good one at my local Walden. *sigh* However, when I finally get money, watch out.... it could get dangerous. :D

~Fairawen~

Emeraldgirl

My last pay day I did something very similar with Amazon and then the Tarot of Dreams was released and thn I won a few Ebay auctions and then............................................... I think I will be on a deck buying drought for a while after this lot.

Eco74

Emmm... yes, though not that much all at once just for decks.
However, counting this past months purchases of decks and books, I'm well over the 100$ and that's for just the tarot-related bits. I got a couple of items not directly related to tarot aswell.

Some months are just aquisition-months.
I'm learning to live with it and manage to keep an eye on my savings-account to keep it growing rather than decreasing by the month.
I'm very impressed with myself sometimes. :D

Alta

Hi L'Etoile, I have been to Sedona but that was during one of my tarot-free periods so I didn't look at cards. I take it this is good spot to acquire them? I know it is famous for being a mystical energy area, I recall a ton of stuff about UFOs. In fact it almost seemed to be a theme there. I would sure like to go back, so I will be sure and allow extra money for tarot decks. :)

Lee

There are three or four shops in Sedona which have a good selection of decks, and there's one shop which has a few things, like the Oh cards, which might be a little harder to get in the U.S. unless one orders them from overseas. But overall, you'll find the same stuff you can get online. The only real benefit is being able to see them all in person in front of you, and at least one of the stores has sample copies of the decks which you can look through.

-- Lee

PlatinumDove

I'm really trying hard not to spend money on any more decks. My SO would kill me I think, if I bought anymore.

Leo62

PlatinumDove said:
I'm really trying hard not to spend money on any more decks. My SO would kill me I think, if I bought anymore.
Or you could kill him and spend the insurance money on more decks})

In the long-ago time Before AT (BAT?) I thought of myself as a tarot minimalist; one or two decks was enough - why would you need any more? I was a bit of a puritannical anti-collector of anything. But now I have succumbed to terminal decklust, and have finally resigned myself to having some kind of a deck collection...there are just too many wonderful decks out there. The only thing holding me back from having a roomful is a limited budget. As Eco said, some months you just keep buying, cos there's that unrepeatable bargain on Ebay, or you just get seduced in a shop somewhere...

I no longer believe there is a cure for decklust...you just have to manage it so that you can still eat at the end of the month ;)

Ace

At the S/F conventions a button used to be very popular: I am a bookaholic. If you are a nice person, you won't sell me another book.

Maybe you guys need to wear such a button: I am a tarotaholic, if you are a nice person, you won't sell me another tarot deck. ;)
Ace