How long did it take before you felt confident?

Little Baron

I have been learning the tarot for about eight years; however, I have had breaks in that time, and months when I didn't pick the cards up, due to being busy with other things.

I was talking to a friend about it last night and he said he thought I should get out there and start reading for people. He said that as well as it probably helping with my tarot journey, it would also be useful to bring in a little extra pocket money.

I have accumilated a lot of knowledge about the tarot over the years, but sometimes, I find it hard to access it - and that is when my mind goes blank and I lose confidence. I would love to read professionally, but I still feel that I am not good enough of a reader. My friend says that if I continue to keep putting it off so that I can study and practice, I will never make the move forward.

When did you feel ready to start reading professionally? When or what was it that suddenl clicked and you realised that you were good at reading the cards? What were your first experiences like? Did you click much later, way after you had started reading professionally? Do you think that reading professionally aided your study and knowledge of the cards?

LB

MareSaturni

I don't read professionally, as i have even less time of Tarot than you - a bit more than 4 years. So i'm curious about the answers...some people take so long to have confidence, while some move forward very quickly.

I know i'm a part of the slow group...it'll take many years before i dare. When i read i still need a book near by just in case. No good for a professional.

Thanks for starting this thread!

:TWP Yuko

Fulgour

...at the beginning.

My biggest hurdle was to get over feeling that people deserved
to hear the standard meanings, as if the cards had such things.
Once I began giving readings and knew I knew more than books,
the feeling of it being right came through. You need to begin...

Little Baron

You're welcome Miss Yuko.

I know what all of the cards mean, but I find it so difficult to express what I feel sometimes. I never look at a card combination and think 'Yes, that is so clear ... I understand what they are telling me'. And even if I do, I am worried that I won't be able to communicate it to the querant.

I also wonder if some of the spreads used could assist this problem - that they are too complicated or disrupt the flow of the cards and make the readings stale - the Celtic Cross is an example of this.

LB

Little Baron

Fulgour said:
My biggest hurdle was to get over feeling that people deserved
to hear the standard meanings, as if the cards had such things.
Once I began giving readings and knew I knew more than books,
the feeling of it being right came through. You need to begin...

That makes a lot of sense to me Fulgour ... thanks. I think that I need to even try and forget what a lot of the books have said, because I think I am always aware of what I think they are meant to mean, rather than what they are trying to say - that causes the barrier. I am confident that I know all of their meanings but that doesn't make a good reader, I feel.

LB

gareth.

Comment..

Why are you associating the move to reading professionally with an increase in accuracy? Think about it...it is only because the querent, you expect ,expects value for money! Dont do that as Iv had a lot of inaccurate readings from those who read professionally. Only once have I stopped a reader and walked away ( reluctantly as I appreciate the affect on her confidence ) You are going to be wide of the mark on plenty of occasions but this is not Bomber Command or N.A.S.A. If you feel you have the Ability to be a Sensitive then just go for it and trust your Honest Heart. G

Little Baron

I can see your point Gareth. I think I am thinking that way because of the reasons you suggest. Thinking about both Fulgour and your comments, I think I need to relax and let things flow as I read. It shouldn't make much difference whether I am being paid or not, since the outcome should be the same.

Thanks
LB

BobTheViking

Y'know, doctors and lawyers only have to study for seven years, and they have to take a rigorous test at the end, too. There's nothing like that for Tarot.

You might not have a diploma, but you're just as qualified as you need to be, I'm guessing.

Little Baron

Thanks Bob.

I think my biggest problem is breaking through these barriers I have constructed - the fear of doing it wrong, not being convincing or being able to communicate the messages effectively. Thinking about it today, I know that I have all of the knowledge inside of me and all of the ability to do it - to work with what comes at the time. I think practice is going to be the thing that carries me forward and helps me connect to my deck in a better way.

LB

Alta

I am still waiting for that to happen. I cannot think when I have done a reading and the first thought into my head wasn't: "What can this possibly mean?"

I rarely do face to face readings, because my family isn't interested and I am too chicken to tell my friends. The thought is daunting.