5 basic Astrology books?

seaweed

Hi everybody!

I've read the resource list for Astrology, but I'm wondering if I could get a little help narrowing it down. Life seems to be pulling me in such a direction that it would really help to learn about transits and progressions asap, but I have yet to learn how to cast a chart by hand ( I know you can do this by computer, but I'd really like to understand how to draw it all together myself if it doesn't require a crazy amount of books or money to do so.) So does anybody know a quick list of say, 5 books, to get the beginner up and running? Eventually, I'd like to move into learning about Celtic astrology, harmonics and all the other little nooks and crannies, too.

Also, how much knowlege would I have to have to jump into the astrology study group on this forum?

And, has anyone gone through the AFA certification program? If so, is it much different than someone can learn by independant study?

I appreciate the info. Everybody here makes up such a nice and friendly group! It's funny how studying tarot seems to touch so many other areas of study--I feel like I'm going back to college, only the curriculum is *much* more interesting and useful!

paradoxx

5 books, ok.

I, in my humble opinion, would recommend the following

Sign Mates-this pairs off teh signs and talsk about relationships in general.

Astrology for dummies-priceless, well the cartoons anyway, lots of information that is otherwise overlooked, good place to start.

sun Signs Moon Signs-shows how your innerside and your outer self interact with eachother and the world.

a year-long daily guide, either for a specific sign or for just daily readings, Sydney Omar is well known for this, it's good to know when the planets change signs.

and then, I would recommend an astronomical book of the solar system, the scientific information about the planets is a modern basis for how astrology is used for diviniation. It would fit in with your college goals.

You can enter into the study group at any time, anyone can contribute their own point of view. Unfortunately I can't answer your college-related questions.

isthmus nekoi

hey seaweed,

If you're looking to read natal charts as I suspect, I'd recommend Steven Arroyo's books b/c he has this way of hitting the core energies w/i a chart, of being specific w/o pigeonholing. Not an easy task! He usually avoids the sort of narrowness you'll come across in a lot of beginner's "cookbooks" that often makes beginners worry unnecessarily (e.g. I have Venus square Saturn, does this mean I'll never find true love? I have Mars in my 8th house, does that mean I'll die a violent death?).

But really it depends on what your goals are w/learning astrology. To predict events? To deepen your understanding of psychology? To supplement your tarot studies?... Different books for different purposes. For example, if you're wanting to do predictive work, then you'll probably want to look at the more classical stuff like Lilly and look into things like horary or electionary astro and stay away from stuff like Liz Greene...

Minderwiz

Hi Seaweed,

If you are going to try constructing charts by hand a good starting book is Nick Campion's Practical Astrologer - it's a good overview of Astrology as well.

There's some good books mentioned above, I'd add one - Kevin Burk's 'Astrology' - which takes a more classical approach but won't 'interefere' with your general reading. It's a first rate book.

If you want to develop the classical, as opposed to the modern psychological, approach then look at Lee Lehman's 'Classical Astrology for Modern Living' followed by John Frawley's 'Real Astrology'.

Moontears

okay well, to get an astrologer "up and running" i'll recommend the Idiots guide to astrology. I recommend the idiots guide collection to just about everything. It is very simple, very good organization of information. That is a good starter book, and a great book for basic reference.

Rosanne

I am very new to Astrology and I was recommended to purchase 'Parkers' Astrology- The definitive guide..' by Julia and Derek Parker. I did and it is just what I needed with the added Bonus of beautiful illustrations.
As I am also an avid why? person I also purchased among others a book called 'Astrology:A History' by Peter Whitfield. ~Rosanne

Minderwiz

I have Parker's Astrology and it a good substitute for the Campion book - they are similar in purpose and aimed at the same sort of reader. If I had to choose, I'd go for Campion but it really comes down to personal preference here - and like me you could go for both :)

I was actually looking at the Whitfield book today in a local bookshop. It looked good but was on the expensive side. It might well be available cheaper over the internet. It's really a history book rather than an Astrology book and I'm not sure that he therefore has a detailed knowledge of techniques - but it does look a fairly good background book and may well find its way to my shelves at some point.

Minderwiz

I was in York today and actually found the Whitfield book in a cheap bookshop, selling '2 books for £10' - with a wide variety of choice. So I bought it, at an effective price of £5!

For anyone in the area, or who is likely to visit York - it's the Yorkshire Book Clearance Outlet, on the corner of Goodramgate and Low Petergate.

Psychebleu

My first book was 'The New AtoZ Horoscope Maker and Delineator' by Llewellyn George. I was well on my way to drawing up and interpreting charts for myself and others with this as my only source of info on interpretation - it covers setting up natal, progression, transits and returns, and interpretation.

Along with this - a book of tables and an ephemeris will get you well on your way. I've tossed my first Ephemeris - as I think it only went up to the year 2000 - I still have 'The American Ephemeris for the 21st Century', it spans from 2000 to 2050 at Midnight, Michelsen/R. Pottenger (ACS Publications). Also still have 'The Michelsen Book of Tables: Koch and Placidus Tables of House. How to Cast a Natal Horoscope; Interpolation Tables; Time Tables' also Michelsen/Pottenger (ACS Publications).

Of course I haven't used the ephemeris or Book of Tables since I got the internet - but if you want to learn to erect a chart by hand - these three are all you need to get dead on calculations. I believe the AtoZ even goes over how to erect one without the exact birth time.

Those 3 will get you started on the basics of erecting and a method of interpretation. I've kept them in my collection for sentimental reasons. :)

Then there's the nitty-gritty of aspects and houses. Two of the best books for those just beginning serious study of practical interpretation- not looking for fluff, but not yet delving into (somewhat dry) pure philosophy/mythology - are 'The Twelve Houses' by Howard Sasportas and 'Aspects in Astrology: A Comprehensive Guide to Interpretation' by Sue Tompkins.

When you want to go beyond those basics, you can't go wrong with books by Robert Hand.

Minderwiz

Good Recommendations

Psychebleu

I actually use my ephemerides regularly - I have the same volumes as you do. There are times when I want to know when a planet changes sign, or what sign will it be in on a certain date, or when the next eclipse/Full/New Moon is. I could fire up the AstrolDeluxe Report Writer and enter the data but it's actually quicker to just pull the book of the shelf next to me and look it up.

For the serious and indeed not so serious Astrologer these are essential references - I'm glad you mentioned them.