RainbowFire

Hi! I don't know if anyone remembers me ^_^ I haven't posted here for at least a year!

But anyway... there's probably already a thread about this, but I'm sure most of you are familiar with the year 2012 by now... when the Mayan calendar ends. Some believe it will bring about a great change in consciousness, others believe that civilization will be totally destroyed!

What do you believe/know? ... I'm a bit scared to be honest!

Lillie

Winter solstice 2012.

The Mayan calender ends, humanity is destroyed and we all die.
The world is wiped clean, it begins anew, and I hope it does better next time around.

Alternativly nothing happens, it's a damp squib, like the millenium bug.

Don't worry.
What will be will be.

And as a great man once said, Death is the next great adventure.

rcb30872

All I have to say is, well it can't be much worse than the way things are now. It would be good I would imagine, chance to start on a clean slate.

Edited to add: I would imagine that it would be in relation to great change in consciousness. At the same time, something tragic happening, that will wipe out most of civilisation, but not total destruction

Bec

Lillie

Yeah. I know what you mean.

Sometimes I look at the world and think that something, somewhere has gone horribly wrong.
And it's the people that have done it.
Everyone, even the nice people.

The bad people do terrible things, but even the good people...
I hope I'm a good person, but I use fuel and electricity, I spray aerosols, I poison the earth for my comfort and convienience.

And sometime I go to the woods, and it's nice there, all clean and trees and stuff.

And I think that it would be better without the people.

It would all come back, the trees would grow through the tarmac on the roads, and the plants would tear the buildings down...

You know?

Not that I really want people to die, but sometimes I think it would be better, all round, if we had never evolved.

rcb30872

Hi Lillie

I have to agree with you there, I hate to think of all those people dying as well. But I can't see that it could possibly mean anything else. It would be horrible to begin with, with all the heartache and perhaps guilt for those that would be left behind, so to speak. But once things will start to be rebuilt and established, hoping things that it would be different and better.

On another view point, perhaps it would mean destruction of the Earth, but a move would have been made to another planet so civilisation would be on another planet.

Bec

rainwolf

Well if the world ends....I wasted my time studying so much, but get a new experience.

If it doesnt....I keep learning tarot.

lunalafey

12+21+2012=2045
2+0+4+5=11

11 being a master number, hmmm

The Dreamer

I don't know enough about the Mayan calendar to comment specifically, but I do know that the end of civilization has been predicted again and again. And, of course, it never happened.

rcb30872 said:
...it can't be much worse than the way things are now. It would be good I imagine, chance to start on a clean slate.
Wow. I think things could be far worse than they are now, though obviously they are not as good as they could be. And there is no clean slate- not for humanity as it is. If it's a question of wiping out humans and starting evolution all over, humans as we know them might never come up again. It could happen differently, or not at all- or, if it happened the same, the same problems would probably arise again. And if it's a question of wiping out "civilization"- there's no clean slate there either. The people who would remain would still have their tendencies and history, and the earth would still have its problems, though it is resilient.

rcb30872 said:
On another view point, perhaps it would mean destruction of the earth, but a move would have been made to another planet so civilization would be on another planet.
I find that idea really absurd every time I hear it, and particularly in this case. We're suddenly going to aquire the knowledge and technology to colonize other planets within seven years? Our space travel technology at this point is very limited. We've been lucky to get a little roving machine to take pictures on Mars. But aside from the technological problems, the big problem with that is that humans are adapted for the Earth. The few people who have spent long periods of time in spacecraft have suffered severe health problems due to the lack of gravity- mostly bone and muscle loss. The prospect of how long it would take to get to a theoretical inhabitable planet (of which none are known) pretty much rules out that idea, given our current technology and knowledge. And, if we were to try to colonize, say, the moon or mars- we have no practical way to do that either. The Biosphere II project (the attempt to sustain a small group of people in a self contained and self sustaining enclosure in the desert) was a failure (due to sustainability and interpersonal problems), and no such research has continued. If we can't even keep people alive in such a way on our own planet, it is clear that we can't do it anywhere else. Also, if we were to perfect the ability to live sustainably through that kind of research, it would make sense to apply those principles to living on the earth. The whole reason we have so many problems in the first place is due to our ignorance of how to live sustainably, and our inability to solve interpersonal problems.

I really don't understand all of the fascination with doom and gloom endtime predictions. So many novels have been written about it, so many religious groups indulge in it, and so much of popular culture is enthralled with it.

If we really care about this stuff, it would help to get off of our a***s and do something about the bad stuff that goes on, rather than wishing it would all just be wiped away.

Aside from the practical stuff, I know that numerology does mirror life, so I don't know about the 11. I started getting 11:11 as a synchronicity years ago, then it switched to 22. I don't know what to make of it. I've read various theories about it, and many of them seem to be all tangled up with alien-ascension-revolutionary new conciousness stuff which just looks like more mythology and religion to me.
Maybe the numbers are just pure energies that we can work with.

Rosanne

Sorry Lunafey I heard the date was the 25th of 12th 2012 = 15 The Devil =6 The Lovers.. It apparently could also be 21 September 2012 = 8 The Chariot.
There is lots of arguments/debates about the date and Lord Pacel(Palenque). Because the days and months are so different to our calender, maybe the truth will never be worked out. On the 21st September 2012 Sirius comes into the Milky way- and thats the Dog star, biting at the Fools Bottom.
In one sense it is scary- that we could be annihilated- but according to Mayan lore it has happened several times before... and voila here we are again. It seems that Gaia is very forgiving to our stupidity. Truth be told I will be holding my breath a lot in 2012. ~Rosanne

Lillie

rainwolf said:
Well if the world ends....I wasted my time studying so much, but get a new experience.

If it doesnt....I keep learning tarot.

:D :D :D

PS. I have always been of the understanding that the date was 21st December 2012.
The winter solstice of that year.

I think I have heard that some consider it to be the day after, but I have never heard September mentioned.

Is there an Official date for this, the ending of the mayan claender?
I just got my date out of books, so I have no idea of how authoritative it is.