Basic wand making question

Ffortiwn

Hey all. I have some basic questions about wand-making. I'm envisioning cutting the top of the staff, imbedding a small crystal, and replacing the top again on top, leaving a small opening for the tip of the crystal to poke out.

After having done some lurking here and there, I did get the impression that intent and personal energy were paramount, over other considerations such as natural vs. synthetic ingredients, for example. But the perfectionist or purist in me is still concerned about cutting off a piece - feels like severing, dismemberment, interruption, to me. What I'm wondering is if there is any precedent or canon on the subject.

I suppose if it comes down to it, I can talk myself into this approach, but I'd like to pay close attention to all considerations since once I choose a path I won't be able to change my mind again. Is there any sort of ancient precedent I can follow? Google has not been a huge help on this particular question.

rainwolf

I'd like to pay close attention to all considerations since once I choose a path I won't be able to change my mind again
Why can't you change your mind again? If a religion holds itself to be "open", it would understand any confusion you have and would accept you--even more after because you would have made a realization that it is more "true."

Ffortiwn

rainwolf said:
Why can't you change your mind again? If a religion holds itself to be "open", it would understand any confusion you have and would accept you--even more after because you would have made a realization that it is more "true."

I guess some people can get around that mentally, but for me I would always be aware of the choice I made, whichever it was. Once I sever that piece, I would be forever cognizant of having severed that piece, not to mention the fact that I suspect there could be metaphysical considerations as well related to energy flow in the wood. Not having dived into any wand or staff making lore yet myself, I've merely made an assumption here that (from a purist perspective) wholeness is ideal.

Clearly if a person feels that strongly about it, you might say that's answer enough and should settle it for me, but I'm still very curious to know what, in the hundreds or thousands or more years of wand and staff making, what has been commonly believed.

rabble

I've never read anything about what should or shouldn't be done, but when making my own, I drilled into the end, and set my crystal into that, with plastic wood (wood putty - whatever works for you)

I've also set tiny crystals into little knot holes, which sometimes also needed drilling out a little.

Ffortiwn

Made the decision to not remove anything but the wood dust that comes out with the carving and etching.

So I have two more basic questions now for the expert carvers: (1) If I decide to go with a "non-glue" adhesive for the crystal, what are your opinions on alternative products? I've heard people talk about fimo and bees wax and I'd love to hear more about how those actually compare in terms of strength and long-term viability - this staff is going to be an heirloom. (2) I would like to fill my etchings with color. What material will stand the test of time and still look beautiful?

Also curious to know if anyone has ever crumbled tiny pieces of crystal (mixed w/ adhesive) into etchings before and how tedious that effort was (and how pretty the results were).