Q for Dadsnook/Codescendent [split from What do you want to see or read in a chart?]

prudence

dadsnook2000 said:
This is what is behind my concept of the "Co-Descendant" which is a a sensitive point near the Descendant that appears to correlate with where someone can walk into your chart and act with intrusive impact. This point is found by taking the ASC-MC arc and projecting it towards the Descendant area of the chart. I've found it to be consistently dependable in terms of where and how you are vulnerable to others.
Dave.

Dave, oh no!! Now you've gone and piqued my curiosity again, but I have no clue here about these arcs and the co-descendant...but you *know* I am aching to know how to do this!!! Ugh. Where and how one is vulnerable to others...hmmm, like perhaps I am vulnerable to very difficult astrology concepts?

Minderwiz

The equal arc concept can be found in a number of traditional Astrological techniques (which from my point of view makes it a method worth exploring).

The main use was in the concept of 'antiscions'. These are degrees of the zodiac equidistant from the solstice line (0 degrees Cancer to 0 degrees Capricorn). Such degrees had the same length of daylight (and night time) - so a 10 degrees Taurus had it's antiscion in 20 degrees Leo. If there are two planets placed at these two degrees, then they are treated as though they are in a trine or sextile.

The polar opposite of the antiscion point is the contrascion. Thus the contrascion of 20 degrees Leo is 10 degrees Scorpio. The relation between two planets at these degrees is treated as an opposition or square.

These equal arc relationships tend not to be used by modern astrologers (I suspect like Dave's 'co-descendant') but they open up an interesting avenue of investigation.

prudence

I am wondering, when one projects towards the Descendant area, from the ASC-MC area, does one come up with an exact degree or is it a general area (of vulnerabliity)?

With my ASC at 22 degrees PIS and my MC at 24 degrees SAG, the area I am looking at for this vulnerable spot/area, is around Libra or Virgo....is this basically the way to do this?

Thank you!!

Minderwiz

My interpretation would be that it's an exact degree - If MC to Ascendant is, say 83 degrees, then you would project forward from the MC 83 degrees to get Dave's Co-descendant

dadsnook2000

Co-Descendant and antiscions

For Astrid O Your Co-DSC angle/point would be 26 Virgo (using rounded degree numbers). This point would place your MC equidistant between the Asc. degree and Co-Desc. degree. In mid-point applications the mid-point between the Asc and MC (typically in the 11th house area) is considered to be your "here and now" point -- the place where you experience the interaction between what your goals/values (MC) are and what your personality/reaction to life is.

The Asc-to-MC arc (measured in degrees and minutes) can be said to represent how you go about (actions taken) reaching your goals or establishing your reputation and status. Creating an opposite but equal arc from the MC backwards along the zodiac would suggest a meaning of defending your goals/status from others -- another way of saying "vulnerability".

Antiscions: In my chart I have Uranus at 9 Taurus, Mars at 21 Leo. It doesn't take much calculation to see that both planets are 51 degrees from the summer solstice point. Mars is in my 3rd, Uranus in my 11th house. One could easily relate this to my active communication and curiousity with all of my friends concerning new-age interests. Further, I have a link between Mercury/Venus and Saturn, 5th and 10th house positions, to the zero Cancer degree (which is also my Ascendant!). One might say that I have a creative writing and expressive/creative energy that requires a discipline or a format to release itself through. This also seems to be true. Dave

prudence

Thanks for the reply, Dave, and for explaining this. When you mention the midpoint btween the ASC and MC, the place considered to be the here and now, I am thinking mine is somewhere near my Mercury, which is 8 degrees aquarius, in the 11th house. I calculated it as 1 degree Aquarius, in the 11th house (I didn't round the numbers), did I do this correctly?

dadsnook2000

Astrid O . . . Not quite correct if I read your posting correctly. In your case, the arc between Asc and MC is 88 degrees, half of which is 44 degrees --- or a full sign plus 14 degrees.

A full sign from your MC takes you to 24 Capricorn, and adding 14 degrees to that point takes you to 8 Aquarius (6 degrees to get past Capricorn, and the remaining 8 degrees to your mid-point). This is near/at your Mercury? I'm at the ocean cottage right now and don't have my chart files here so I can't look at many resources. I'm also on a slow AOL connection and interuptions are common here. If Mercury is at the ASC-MC midpoint then it should show up in your life quite strongly in one/several/all of the Mercury symbology such as talking, writing, communicating, short travels, lecturing, teaching, etc. Plus taking in information via reading, media watching, reviewing other's writings. There are a lot of professions and hobbies that could link up to those activities, some private, some shared, some involving public interaction.
Dave

prudence

Thans Dave,
I added wrong, and got 78 degrees, and then halved it,, which gave me the AQU at 1 degree...I think I was on the right track though!!

Is it more meaningful that this lands right on my Mercury placement? My natal merc is 8 degrees AQU, in 11th house. Does it make it more accessable to me this way? I understand asteroids shouldn't be tackled yet, as I am very new to astro, but my pallas is also near this point (at 15 degrees AQU 11th House)....I used to enjoy writing, and definitely enjoy reading and "media watching" !!

Your cottage sounds like a lovely place, wonder if one can hear the ocean.

isthmus nekoi

Hi Astrid,

I don't have nearly as much experience using midpoints, but here's what Reinhold Ebertin aka Mid-Point SuperMan has to say, "Exchange of thoughts, the use of one's critical faculties - A frank discussion b/w ppl, cooperation in the scientific or commerical [typo in text?] sphere."

And Dave, I think have something very similar to you: Uran at 28 degrees Scorp, Mars at 2 Aquarius would put the midpoint at the solstice as well... I'll have to think about how this applies to my life though.

And for our readers scribbling away on paper like me, here's an online midpoint calculator for convenience:
http://www.noendpress.com/pvachier/midpoints/index.php

prudence

Thanks Isthmus,
so the quote from Reinhold, is describing what this particualr midpoint means? I am understanding that each midpoint means something different.

The link mentioned something about midpoints being used to see compatability b/w charts. Hmmm, another very interesting and deep aspect to astrology....