Advertising Opinions

Fairawen

Alright, I'm almost ready to take the big step across the threshold from practicing doing readings online, speaking aloud to myself, ect. and go out into the world and do readings face-to-face, charging a resonable fee. Only problem is, I have NO idea where to start.

How do you get your foot in the door? What are some "advertising" like things that I should do? Any recomendations on a place? How do those of you who have gone proffessional get in?

Thanks in advance for any and all input. :D I'm an eager listener.

~Fairawen~

EDIT TO ADD: For those of you who may wonder how the heck I'll pull this off with my parents being so anti-tarot, I'm trying to start by doing them over the phone. I have a cell phone, so no worries. :) However, I do want to mix in some face-to-face when my family isn't leaning over my shoulder. Just thought that some of you were going to ask... :p

MeeWah

Fairawen: I started out reading for friends, who eventually referred me to their friends; who then referred me to their friends. Thus, my clients included & include strangers.

I began reading at 11 for friends from my house, outdoors on the porch or at their homes & never at school. The people referred by friends were read for at the friends' homes or outdoors in front of my house.

In the beginning, charging never occurred to me, possibly because of my age but well into my teens, I saw the value in doing so to include bartering.

Since then, I receive clients in my residence. Read from my home for absent clients or at a distance via e-mail; also via phone & in the breakroom at workplace. I am rarely alone in the house with an in-person client as there is usually at least one family member also in residence.

Then as now, I prefer not to advertise--simply because advertising exposes one to an uncertain audience.

For record-keeping purposes, maintain a log of reading orders & appointments & an index card file of clients with personal information & reading dates.

Given your situation or any situation where receiving clients at one's residence is not practical nor an option, a public location usually the best option. If your residence is situated where there is outdoor seating, that may be considered.

A local library where the conversation may be kept to a discreet level to avoid disturbing the other patrons.

Ditto for a coffee shop or a fast food place where a reading can be conducted over a drink purchased to provide a reason for taking up space.

Some shopping centers have on the premises seating or outdoor facilities.

Again given your situation, however, I do not recommend meeting a stranger face-to-face to give a reading without someone trusted to know of your whereabouts & preferably an adult. There are just too many dubious characters one may inadvertently be exposed to, & personal safety always a priority above any other.

BemboBimbo

Reading in Public Places

I am also trying to get started and really appreciate this thread! Does anyone know about getting a permit in a big U.S. city, for reading? And what is the delicate way of calling Tarot readings, for permit purposes?

Thank you, Just a Bembo Bimbo

psychicbody

Good luck... I can tell you finding a job in this field is not easy. I have searched all over the Internet for oportunities and the pickings are slim to none.
It would be a lot easier to go into your own business. If you do that, you need a buesiness license, but I dont know how much those cost; it is possible to work for "donations" which are legal, presuming you are not being payed a certain amount.

BemboBimbo

Thank you, Psychicbody. I did mean getting a permit to peddle outside, as artists, etc. do, which is what I think you're calling a business license? Do you know what department to apply to for that? Best regards, BB

Good luck... I can tell you finding a job in this field is not easy. I have searched all over the Internet for oportunities and the pickings are slim to none.
It would be a lot easier to go into your own business. If you do that, you need a buesiness license, but I dont know how much those cost; it is possible to work for "donations" which are legal, presuming you are not being payed a certain amount.[/QUOTE]

PrincessOfChariot

reading in the real world

GOOD LUCK, IF YOUR GOOD,BOTH INSIDE AND OUT, YOUR QUERENTS WILL SUPPLY YOU WITH ALL THE WORK YOU NEED.

Umbrae

Free readings provide an opportunity to put business cards into the hands of others.

How about writing an article about yourself, include a picture…and submit it to your local advertising paper as ‘filler’, they love stuff like that, and often need filler. You get your article printed for free (with of course your cell-phone number…).

Also remember – ‘donations’ are taxable…don’t run afoul of the taxman.

ArcanoMáximo

So weird !(?) in USA you must to pay a tax for Tarot Readings? I'm lucky to live in Uruguay then.
I was going to advice you not to charge many more, cause ppl don't wanna pay, but no so little also, cause ppl may think you are not good enough. And have a fixed price, but to remain open, some time ppl have no money but need help the same, and if you work so, you'll see how many doors start to open. But that about taxes scarry me a lot! I can't imagine that since i haven't a fixed entrance!
AM*

HudsonGray

A Mobile Sellers Permit is probably what's needed, as you'd be collecting money from people and have a business name (and don't do it from a storefront that you own). These are used for exhibiting at craft and art shows, selling at farmers markets and any other event you want to exhibit or sell at - though I've only had my license checked twice in 18 years...

Each state charges a small amount, in WI it was $10 for the license, in PA it was $15. They're automatically renewed each year for free. You file the sales tax paperwork in January before the 30th, of the next year, and if you took in over $500 in sales, you need to add a one page Schedule H to your federal & state income tax returns (easy paperwork, just minimal stuff).

Since you're providing a service instead of selling an item, I still think you probably need a mobile sellers permit--money is changing hands. Call your city clerk for info on it. The licensing comes out of your state's capital city (not locally), and only needs a little information from you. If you change your business name after setting it up, that's not a problem either.

Flidais

Umbrae said:
How about writing an article about yourself, include a picture…and submit it to your local advertising paper as ‘filler’, they love stuff like that, and often need filler.
LOL -- and hope your parents don't happen to pick up the flyer and see you smiling back at them!

Seriously, though, check and make sure your town doesn't have any ordinances against tarot reading. It might be a tad difficult to get a permit or license if they do...