Our SmartDrives in Warp Speed?

Rosanne

In my search to define for myself, the question "What is intuition?" I have found some interesting new research. I will start by saying I do not know if I use to any great extent what I have read posters as in saying "I do not use meanings, I read Intuitivly" Hence my search for the famed 'Intuition'.
Apparently humans have developed a decision-making apparatus thats capable of making quick judgements based on what seems, very little information. This apparatus is called 'the adaptive unconcious'. Our minds relegate a lot of high level, sophisticated thinking to the unconcious; and the unconcious is very efficient at reaching a conclusion. (my words- tho attrib.-psychologist TD Wilson)
When we use the apparatus it is called 'rapid cognition' It is like the unconcious has a huge databank of information that it quickly and quietly processes in a milisecond and up pops what is usually regarded as an intuitive thought. Now that makes sense to me-Does it make sense to you? I am not talking about the sort of connection say- Twins have when raised apart. I am talking about A Tarot Card, a Question and your answer to it as a reader.

Intuition 1. Quick perception of Truth without conscious attention or reasoning. 2. Knowledge from within: instinctive feeling.(Funk and Wagnalls Dictionary)
So I guess I am saying that Intuition is rapid cognition- not miraculous 'I don't know where that came from!!' mystical experience. You look at Card/s, you hear the question and your unconcious goes into hyperdrive and out pops your conclusion. Do you agree or disagree?~Rosanne

Zephyros

I agree with you in principle. while it is true that we get ideas on the spur of the moment, and then we call that intuition (if I understood you correctly) this is not always what I would call intuition. When I read, I read from what the different symbols, pictures and figures "tell me". Of course i would be the first to admit that I have no phsychic "powers" and that I have no idea where the things I may tell people come from, but there is another element to intuition.

At times, and I think people have spoken of these things in different threads, a reader may sense things that he could not know otherwise. We have all heard, or experienced stories where some one asked a question about their carreers and it turned out that according to the reading that they were pregnant or something else. It is difficult to ascertain where "the truth" comes from, if at all.

Rosanne

closrapexa said:
It is difficult to ascertain where "the truth" comes from, if at all.

I think you are right closrapexa- but I am like a dog with a bone. Bury it -dig it up- Bury it -dig it up- hoping each time that my bone will have an ancient message about Intuition, in Scrimshaw and in Phoenician script to boot :D
~Rosanne

Zephyros

Rosanne said:
I think you are right closrapexa- but I am like a dog with a bone. Bury it -dig it up- Bury it -dig it up- hoping each time that my bone will have an ancient message about Intuition, in Scrimshaw and in Phoenician script to boot :D
~Rosanne

Of course! And I have always said that the really important thing, at least in Tarot, is not finding the answers, but looking for them.

jmd

I suppose that if one looks for a physicalist view of intuition, then certainly the explanation by analogy with computer technology and the fields of neuro-psychology will provide certain answers.

I do not personally consider that Intuition is explicable by talking of the workings of the brain, any more than I would accept as an appropriate reply the explanation of birth from physiological and sexual explanations alone.

If one considers the human being as essentially a spiritual being (and of course some do not), then some of the possible faculties that perhaps also need to be considered are spiritual faculties. Here I would suggest that intuition is a little like 'walking with' the idea in question.

It may, of course, have its reflection in neural activity, but it primarily is a spiritual apprehension of the question at hand, with an empathetic merging of beings.

Grizabella

Scientists seem to always try to come up with a "logical" reason for miraculous things, don't they? Maybe the miraculous scares them so they have to find some scientific reason for those things in order to settle their fears that there might actually be something more intelligent, powerful, mysterious and awesome than mankind in the universe.

That said, though, it really is kind of an interesting theory.

cyclamen

Roseanne,

This is totally fascinating. Thank you for sharing.... I guess it would have had a definite survival function in times past, too - a defense against predators. And while reading cards isn't about fight or flight... we spend a lifetime of absorbing images from the world around us; the cards (mostly) are image-based.... so our brain can draw all kinds of conclusions when we are sitting there looking at them. And maybe some people are more attuned to that survival instinct because they respond to it more... Somehow. :) I don't know either... as I don't think I quite use "instinct" when I look at the cards.

As to whether such an idea is incompatible with the idea of a spiritual being... maybe spirit operates in physical pathways? Sort of like electricity flows through a circuit...? I hope that makes sense. Like even if intuition is some mystical thing, it happens through this brain thinking mechanism.

Rosanne

cyclamen said:
Roseanne,

Like even if intuition is some mystical thing, it happens through this brain thinking mechanism.

Hi Cyclamen- you have articulated exactly what I really believe and seemed unable to put into words. I have this intuitive feeling that you like gardening :D Thanks for that response ~Rosanne

cyclamen

Rosanne said:
Hi Cyclamen- you have articulated exactly what I really believe and seemed unable to put into words. I have this intuitive feeling that you like gardening :D Thanks for that response ~Rosanne

You're welcome. I was actually really excited to read your post and find that someone else was thinking along the same lines that I do... I like science.... and plants... lol...