A Lovers card came from the past

coredil

Sorry for telling this a second time, as I already have reported this on the Rider-Waite-Smith-History forum in a thread about University Books deck and Books.
But I really wanted to share this with others.

Some days ago, I won on e-bay a copy of "The Pictorial Key to the Tarot".
This a beautiful copy from 1959 by University Books with colored pictures of the Rider-Waite-Smith deck.
If you are interested there are two threads about the University Books edition on the Rider-Waite-Smith history forum.
This morning the book came, I was very happy, and as I opened the book I found a real card of The Lovers inserted at the page where the Sun is described!
It is a Lovers Card also from a University Books deck, the one with the pink backs and the ankh.
I suppose a previous owner of the book forgot the card or let it there.
Maybe the card even belongs to the first owner of the book whose name is written on the green page of the book with a date: Tamara P , November 29th 1963.
Who knows, but I find it is a beautiful sign coming from the past with this book.

Alta

a letter from the past

When my dad died, nothing in the house changed, but when mom died 10 years later we had to clear everything out.

My dad was a lawyer, and while a humourous man, was pretty conservative in appearance. My family knows that I am into tarot and my brother Rob brought me a copy of Eden Grey's old book and said 'this must be yours'. It was not, as I knew as I had never left my tarot books there. Imagine my astonishment when I found it full of pages from a notebook with many notes in my father's handwriting!

That is a lovely gift from the past, very positive and uplting. I am glad it found its way to you.
M

Bean Feasa

Aw, nice stories, Coredil and Marion, thank you both.
I think because the study of Tarot involves so much imagination and insight, it's really personal. Everyone's perception of a card is so different. So when you brush up against someone's tarot studies like that you feel you're being allowed to set foot in their world. Maybe that's why your stories caused me a little shiver. :)

Fulgour

Kind thoughts for Tamara...

Since books on the Tarot began appearing in modern editions
they've featured pics of the cards, sometimes even full decks.

I wonder how many thousands of people have had their one
opportunity to discover the many images through one book?

Sitting quietly on a shelf, to be studied, or even a homemade
deck fashioned and coloured by hand from the pages thereof,
we have these proofs that Tarot is so much more than a deck.

University Books Inc., among others such as Eden Gray, gave
countless people an open window to personal discoveries. :)

coredil

melancholy

Marion, your story touch me.
I cant decide wether it is sad or disarming or melancholic or full of longing (the germans says "sehnsucht")
It surely tells me much, like a whole bunch of tarot cards!

Aura Wolf

Thanks for sharing you guys, they are both wonderful stories. What beautiful gifts for you both to receive...