Need to make a decision...:3

urbandryad

I have a hard decision to make. ^^ I have money now in paypal, and it can only go so far.

On the first hand, I want desperately to add two tarot decks I've been fawning over to my collection, (Vampire Tarot and Dream Cards at Tarot Garden) but I have to think realistically. I've had lots of friends already sent me tarot decks, and buying more would just seem...well...spendy, and...hypocritical. I dunno. :(

On the second hand, I also considered subscribing to Aeclectic Tarot, as a way of helping give back to the community that helped pick me back up on my (tarot) feet. I'd also change my username, I don't use this name anywhere else but Tarotforum.net, and its not something I want to go by anymore, anyway.

But on the third hand (freud, eat your heart out) I HAVE fallen in love with a book called "Colored Pencils for the Serious Beginner" which I want to use to improve my colored pencil, and eventually start illustrating a tarot deck of my own! :eek:

All and all ALL these are purchase I want to make, but I can only do -1- 1. Uno, Un, An, One. Period....!

So, help in breaking down my choices, and talking these out with me? Thanks! :*

Grizabella

If it were me and I had some extra money and I had been given decks by good-hearted and generous friends here at AT, I think probably I'd consider it most honorable to give back by subscribing to the forums to help AT out. However, it would be a great temptation to have the decks I was craving, I do admit. But I've been at this tarot thing for long enough that I realise the decks I crave madly today may be decks that really don't click with me when I receive them and I'll just trade them off anyway in time. The art supplies will always be there and I think they'd be my last choice.

Well, that's just my two cents worth. We're all different people and have to follow our own minds and hearts, so good luck with making the right choice for yourself. I know it's a tough decision to make.

Edited to add that I was also gifted by others here and that I'm going to "pay it forward" as the term goes when I can in the future by giving to AT as my gesture of appreciation.

MercyMe

I'd subscribe to AT. What we gain here is priceless and worth every penny.

~Mercy

Annabelle

If you can only afford one of the things you mentioned, then I'd advise subscribing to AT. Not only is it a way to give something back to such a great community, but it will also give you access to subscriber-only areas. We'd love to have you join us "on the other side"!

urbandryad

I did it! I subcribed! Go me! :D I put 'recurring subscription' cause I'm sure by next time this year I can get more money up into paypal. XD

Oh I'm so hyper! :3 Once I'm subscribed, I might change my username, but not this month. Having that last $7 left in paypal may be useful for something in future, ^^;

gregory

Congratulations and welcome to the fold. It is worth it - it really is..... (Ontario eh ? I shall be in touch the next time I'm over home.... Break out the President's Choice Lemon Crrrrrrrrrrrrrunch.... I just finished all the ones I brought back)

Henning

subscribing to the forum would be giving back to the community, but creating a deck could be giving back to tarot forever.

tough choice

urbandryad

Henning, no problem. I subscribed to the Tarot Forum. AND I discovered that the book I had wanted to buy is actually available to BORROW at the library, whenever I want. Go me! :D I just gotta pay my library fines. XD I'm so bad.

Now what sort of colored pencils should I buy? Laurentian is the Canadian brand, and readily available, but Prismacolor is higher quality. Hmmmmm...

Cerulean

I have a suggestion of watercolor pencils

because you can use your results to paint or smear in an interesting way.

A cartridge pen that you fill with water and has a brush tip will allow you to have dreamy smear-effects on your images.

Go to an art store if you can to try out or see a sample set or buy them one at a time to obtain the darkest or brightest pigments--mixing brands is fine. It's really the paper with 'teeth' or texture that will assist you--and you don't need to have more than a few colors to start...

While people like the Berol or Prismacolor, there's a waxiness to them that tires my hands out to achieve the blends that I like. Maybe a link to an art supply house to browse and colored pencil sites to assist? You can pm me and I'll be glad to link you to sites, as this is the tarot topic...I've enjoyed many fun classes in art!

Cerulean

gregory

Faber Castell are nice; so are Staedtler. depends what kind of effect you want and what paper you use. I thought before posting this, after what Cerulean said - but surely the mechanics of creating and the materials you need are legitimate commentary ?