A deeper understanding of Tarot through music

jay_haque

Hi all,

Admittedly I havent had much time to post much, but my journey with my cards continues strong n steady....anyway, what I had to say was, ive come up with a new project!

I'm integrating my creativity on the guitar with my tarot deck :) the way i work is simply this....each card has a corresponding visual right? well each card also has a corresponding note/tune on the guitar. the key is to first develop my own understanding of each card on the guitar (ive gotten through 24 cards so far) and then later ill be able to do SO much unbelievable stuff through the integration.

some ideas ive come up with:

1. simple song creation by randomly choosing cards and integrating their corresponding musical parts.

2. deepening card meditation by exploring their meaning through the corresponding medleys i choose for em.

3. reading tarot for others and providing them with a movement in music to show them what the cards are trying to say. This in itself will be a study books could be written on :D I've already noticed discordant movements of music point out energy blocks and their solutions can be sought by finding a melody which would compliment the situation/card, then locating the card which fits that melody.

some random observations which have already proven to be enlightening:

1. at first i thought i would make up/choose a new tune/chord/note for cards on the spot....but now it turns out that each card (in my mind) has an Assigned tune and that doesnt change much, though its rhythm may change somewhat e.g. if king of sticks is the Emajor chord strummed, in the next reading the same card would still be the E major chord, but it may alter slightly and be finger picked in a different manner.

2. certain suits have a dominating key e.g. the whole stick/wands suit runs entirely in the key of Aminor or Emajor. Not sure what that means yet. :)

what I'm suggesting is not some objective connection between the music and the cards but a way to be creative, a way to subjectively approach the cards, interpreting them and meditating upon them and integrating my two great passions together. If anyone has ever used the cards in this manner, I'd love to exchange notes. If anyone's into music and interested in giving their instrument a try with the cards, I'd love to hear of any results.

in harmony

Jay

jmd

If you haven't already, you may want to have a listen to Larry Sitsky's Concerto for Piano and Orchestra titled The Twenty-Two Paths of the Tarot.

lenny13

Being a guitarist and a musician too, i think your approach is quite interesting. This approach will be great when you perform an improvisition, because you use your feelings and your mood at a certain time. But elaborate such a system would surely be tricky :)

Alissa

i understand your excitement completely, jay... last year, I became obsessed with the fact that I could see melodies inside the Gothic Tarot cards, by Vargo. The placement of certain cups, or wands, would resemble notes moving up and down the treble clef. Inspired, I wrote this thread discussing what I'd found.

Since Vargo is also a musician, I found it fascinating to consider he may have hidden the melodies I found within his illustrations... instead, after inquiring, I found that the melodies were not intentional, but certainly seem to carry their own musical messages with Great Intention! Even Vargo was surprised and delighted by the idea, esp. to see what music his artistic subconsious had unknowingly composed.

Now, when I use this deck and one of my musical cards comes up, I do hear the song in my head as I read. For a clairaudient, it is moving, and gives more subtley and shading to my overall interpretation.