Recording Devices

Rajaneesh

I read at a local pagan store, and always provide a pad of paper and pen for clients to use in case they want to take notes. One client this week, however, insisted that we record the session and even brought a small recording device to use.

I have to confess that I was quite put off by it, and almost declined to do her reading as a result. I agreed, because I thought I should examine my strong reaction to the recorder. After the reading (which was good, as usual), I decided that although I forgot about the recorder eventually, I wouldn't repeat the experience.

How do the rest of you feel about this issue?

Rogan

Every professional I know actually provides tapes and records it for their clients as part of the package. When I read, too - I do the same.
I find clients are often so caught up in the moment that they miss a lot of stuff said - And when the go home later and listen to the tape properly that night, or the next day even - Then they might hear things they missed, or make connections they couldn't during the reading..

Umbrae

I refuse to 'tape'. It puts the sitter into a passive state. If they take notes, they are active. If they tape, they become passive, like watching an episode of ‘Friends’.

Just cuz others allow taping, does not mean it’s either a good idea, or reason that I should (allow taping).

A tape does NOT make the reading more useful to the sitter. It simply means they don’t have to participate at the time. Half of the reason they needed to come to a reader in the first place is they often do not participate in their own lives – rather – go through life passive, wondering why things happen TO them.

Handing a person a pencil and paper places them into a proactive stance.

Remember - folks spend more time planning a vacation than they do planning there lives. Get them involvedc!

tmgrl2

I don't allow taping.

I, too, feel that it allows the sitter to become too passive.

I only had one sitter so far who was quite demanding about wanting to tape.

I didn't know her. She was referred by another who had had a reading from me.

She also had other ideas about Tarot that didn't sit right with me, but I told her I was perfectly comfortable if she wished to cancel and go to a reader who allowed taping. She came. The reading went very well. She took lots of notes....she asked lots of questions...the notes were "hers."

I don't believe it is right or wrong to tape or not to tape. This is simply my preference at this time. I doubt I will change.

terri

Grizabella

I feel like since tarot reading is kind of an old-time way of getting advice and wise guidance, that I like doing it the old way. It's more personal if there isn't a tape recorder running, somehow, just for my opinion.

I just had a thought-----I'll bet someone will videotape sessions next.

My thought is that if you don't tape, maybe you're going to actually get more customers in the long run because you're doing it differently, if all the others are taping. The pendulum may swing and then the appeal will be in "old-fashioned" tarot readings.

ArcanoMáximo

Very good question, Rajaneesh.

This last Wednesday I was attending consultations by the Brave FM radio from Punta del Este city, were 45 questions in three hours, and resulted me very pleasant.

The same when I have done television.

And I permit to take notes. No problems.

But two weeks ago a querent asked me for the first time to record the consultation, I permitted it although i was not sure, I guess had curiosity to see as would be.

Some times I need certain space of time to reflecting the interpretation. As soon as I entered in those spaces she was stopping the recording, and then starting again while i was speaking, grrrrrrrrrr............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I believe that the "click, click" of the record button was what put me badly.
Even so i did a very good reading, but for me was uncomfortable. My level of interpretation did not vary, but put me a lot more nervous than in the before indicated occasions, when i suppose they would be worse.

No, I am not going to repeat it, surely. If they want remember something just take note }) !
AM*

tmgrl2

ArcanoMáximo said:
Some times I need certain space of time to reflecting the interpretation. As soon as I entered in those spaces she was stopping the recording, and then starting again while i was speaking, grrrrrrrrrr............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I believe that the "click, click" of the record button was what put me badly.
Even so i did a very good reading, but for me was uncomfortable. My level of interpretation did not vary, but put me a lot more nervous than in the before indicated occasions, when i suppose they would be worse.

No, I am not going to repeat it, surely. If they want remember something just take note }) !
AM*

Good way of putting it Arcano! It is as though there is a third person there with the tape recording grinding away...the start and stop noises would drive me nuts.

Years ago, I worked with a psychic who allowed taping. Later on, people heard things when they listened to the tapes...things they had missed the first time around or heard completely differently...In talking to some of his sitters who had listened "later" to the tapes, what they often did were two things...

Say..."boy was that right on!"

Or...."See how wrong he was!" Often it was something they had passed over intitally in regard to this latter comment. Knowing some of these people personally, I felt that my friend wasn't wrong in what he said. The people in relistening interpreted what they heard in one way and now, no longer had the benefit of asking for clarification or of asking questions about what my friend meant by what he said during the reading. It wasn't the same listening to the taped event afterwards....it took on different meanings, not always helpful...

Yet...I know many who read allow taping. We are going for our discernment with George Anderson in four weeks....more than a year since we made the appointment. I am going to tape it, since he allows it...mostly because I have friends and family who wish to hear what went on during the discernment. If he didnt' allow taping, I wouldn't be upset, but since he does, I am going to tape it. So see...what I won't allow others to do, I plan to do....Hmmmm...

terri

MeeWah

Do not care for taping but a few clients do. I can understand folks wanting to have a taped copy for later perusal & reference as memory can be unreliable. I let them bring their tape to use in my tape recorder (which I have anyway) or bring their tape & recording device.

I have the sitter manage the taping because just too distracting for me where reading concerned. I recommend to let it run after I announce the date & the session to avoid the distraction of the stopping & resumption of the tape.

I routinely provide writing supplies for them to take notes, too. Those aspects or points that catch the attention may be significant as part of the reading experience.

ArcanoMáximo

tmgrl2 said:
The people in relistening interpreted what they heard in one way and now, no longer had the benefit of asking for clarification or of asking questions about what my friend meant by what he said during the reading. It wasn't the same listening to the taped event afterwards....it took on different meanings, not always helpful...
Good way of putting it you tooTerri!
And i don't know in the rest of the world but in Uruguay media shows are usually utilizing hidden cameras and recordings with false consultations to be mocked later, used to have fun with the Tarot and the Tarotist.
For the same reason I always try to be serious at the most possible and don't invent anything but all we know that in search of the rating they might twist all the conversation in processes of edition.
If are you who is in the media you have many witnesses of what you said, but in a private consult you don't.

tmgrl2 said:
So see...what I won't allow others to do, I plan to do....Hmmmm...
But if he has no problem, why not?
You are not going against his rules.
And for sure you'll be open at the time of re-listen.

tmgrl2

ArcanoMáximo said:
Good way of putting it you tooTerri!
And i don't know in the rest of the world but in Uruguay media shows are usually utilizing hidden cameras and recordings with false consultations to be mocked later, used to have fun with the Tarot and the Tarotist.
For the same reason I always try to be serious at the most possible and don't invent anything but all we know that in search of the rating they might twist all the conversation in processes of edition.
If are you who is in the media you have many witnesses of what you said, but in a private consult you don't.

But if he has no problem, why not?
You are not going against his rules.
And for sure you'll be open at the time of re-listen.

I hope I will be...mostly it's because my family wishes to hear it.

I would be fine going and not taping and benefiting from the experience of the moment. I feel same way, though, about letting a sitter tape, and them wondering to what use other than personal it would be used.

George Anderson specifically states that no "public" use be made of the tape.

terri

terri