Original Rider Waite Pack

Abrac

Hey everyone. I've got a question I was hoping someone out there might be able to help me with.

I've been checking out the scans of the Original Rider Waite Pack, and I really like the colors and texture. I was wondering if anyone could tell me about the lamination. I'm not really keen on heavy lamination, and prefer thin to none.

Any thoughts?

fools_fool

Grigori

It looks much the same as the standard RWS in terms of lamination for me. It has a thin laminate, and is not overly glossy. Mine is pretty new and all the slip has gone out of it already. The cards are good quality, on the thin side, but not flimsy.

Sophie

It's not heavily laminated or glossy at all (I don't like laminated either) - I find their feel very agreeable. Good cardstock, flexible and durable. I love that version of the RWS.

Emily

I too have the Original Rider Waite and it does have a nice lamination - these cards shuffle nicely and don't stick together.

I have noticed that US Games seems to be using a thick lamination on their new decks, I first noticed it in the Radiant Rider, sticky with a chemical smell. But I've had a few more US Games decks since then including the re-print of the Giant RWS and the Forest Folklore deck and these both have this lamination.

Has anyone else noticed this change to this thicker chemical smelling laminate?

Abrac

Yes, I've notice a lot of decks lately having a thicker, more glossy lamination, that is why I was asking. It makes them stick together and harder to shuffle. To me, a matte finish is much better, like on most playing cards.

Thanks for your help everyone!

fools_fool

tarobones

enjoy

sounds like you're considering a purchase. If so, I would like to recommend the deck. It definitely has an "old fashioned" feel to it, the colors are somewhat different than the "standard" RWS, but I think they're much better. BB, Michael

Aeon418

The laminate on my copy is very thin as well. Almost to the point of being a matt finish. If that's what you're after you should like it.

Sulis

The backs are nice too - they have the blue lillies and roses motif.

It's a very nice deck - feels old.

Love

Sulis xx

Abrac

Well, I went ahead and purchased it and was not disappointed. This is an awesome deck. The cards are just size I like, made with good card stock, and a nice matte finish.

I've read reviews that say the booklet is missing page 147. This error seems to have been corrected, but it still has numerous typos and misinformation. It says cards have certain features on them that they actually don't have.

I like my regular RWS deck too though. I was fortunate and found an early edition with a matte finish at a flea market, in mint condition for $5. I doubt the ORWS deck will replace my regular RWS but it's a nice addition. It's cool to see the cards as they were originally intended to look.

Thanks for your help!

fools_fool

Emily

Hi fools_fool,

I'm glad your enjoying your new deck :) - it did actually take me a while to warm to this edition even though it was my first deck and the one I started to study and learn on. I found the colours and even the way it was coloured, some like the Star looked like she had measles, were not to my taste. But for some reason I do like the colours of it now - maybe I just needed to mature a little before coming back to this deck lol

But it does have a feel of an old deck about it and once I started to get the deck a little worn in, my opinions of it changed - I like the hand-written lettering on the cards and the overall feel of the deck.

I've just looked through my LWB and it only goes up to page 30. I've never looked at it before because I've browsed through 'The Key to the Tarot' book and didn't much like what I was reading so left it well alone.