Reading when angry

Cascade

Have you ever read the cards, (for yourself) when angry? or hurt? How can you keep your thoughts settled?
I left work today so upset at my co-owner that I am considering selling my half. I picked up a deck(RWS), for comfort and the zen of shuffling. Laid out 3 cards after awhile, couldn't help it. HP, Fool and the 7 cups. I figured it was a fluke and got the Morgan Greer. That deck gave me 10 cups, 4 wands, and the 7 of Cups.
How could I get any real value from a reading I did only to calm down? And how is it that the 7 could come up 2x? (I know, options)
Have you ever got angry and not finished a reading for someone else? If they were mocking or rude? Don't emotions bias our opinions, whether for ourselves or someone else? thanks

sunny2

hi cascade,
I have tried reading for myself in the past and found it hard to do whether I was angry, hurt or even happy. I do think this is because we want to have a positive outcome. I can't even read for my family, for fear of finding out something I shoudn't or if they are going to be hurt. I know I cannot prevent events from happening but I don't wanna hear it upfront.

Once when reading the cards for someone who appeared to be mocking them and me, I said I wasn't getting anymore and finished the reading abruptly. I was angry because I thought they did not have the decency to respect my feelings. It turned out she could take everything I gave but was very nervous. I learnt from the experience and now ask if there is a problem with a person if I become aware something isn't right. maybe a blessing in disguise.

I do tend to think our emotions can put bias to a reading in a negative or a positive way, no matter who it's for. That's why it's better to be chilled out I guess and always read when emotions are not running on a high.

Before making a decision about your partnership, make sure you have no negative feelings surrounding you which could influence your predictions, cos you may regret acting on them. Leave it for a few more days and then try again. Good luck :)
sunny2

WhiteRaven

I've tested this theory on myself......and I can not read when in an emotional turmoil......all I get are cards that are negative....or that I read as negative. My test was one day....when I was really upset.....I pulled some cards....they weren't nice.....made no sense.....I tried again.....same thing.....I then went for a long walk and grounded.....came back centered....I pulled the cards.....and they were different....and made sense to the situation in question.

So...I once started a thread long ago about negativity in the Reader....and I still hold my opinion on that. If you are going into a reading carrying negative energy.....it will come out in your reading, whether it's with yourself or with another person. This is another good reason why, if you are upset, and need advice from the Tarot....ask someone else to read for you if you can.

Catpaw

Cascade, I hope you can see some promise in the cards you drew, so let me offer this simple clarification.

First reading using RW:
HP - compassion is called for and a balanced approach to your relationship, especially during times of stress.

Fool - Pay attention, maybe your reaction is over the top a bit? Look beyond your current troubles to see what is possible.

7 Cups - Dreams start you on the path to your goals; make sure your know which path you want/need to take.

Second reading - Morgan Greer.
10 Cups -Emotions filled to the brim; take note of what happiness you have experienced in the business relationship and determine if it stil works (just a bad day/week)?

4 Wands - Things are coming together but there is still some work to be done. Celebrate the victories at hand but remember to plant the field so it can continue to grow.

7 Cups - I see it very similar to the above RW.

Take care and I wish you a STAR filled night of hopeful dreams and a SUN filled day tomorrow.

jumptothemoonyea

The way emotions affect a reading could be compared to trying to find your way with a compass. You align North arrow with the North, find your angle and thus find your way. If there is a strong magnetic source near your compass, it will move the arrow in the wrong direction. The same happens in a reading - strong emotions distort the "arrow" movement. Any kind of emotions, negative and positive. Tranquil, like a lake w/o wind we shall read ... :)

Cascade

calm again

Thanks you guys, for all the input. Especially catspaw. I read for myself quite a bit, so it's nice to hear anothers' interpretation. Now that I'm calm again I will take your advice on the 7 cups. I, too had read it as 'be careful what you wish for'.:)

But what about anger/annoyance that arises during a reading? I've held querents that are crying and cried with them because they are so overwhelmed with life. I don't think it changed my reading. What's so different about feeling annoyed that the client or someone the client has brought along is making rude noises or comments? Have you ever stopped a reading mid-stream?

Tabby

Reading when angry?

Hi Cascade;
I do not read, even for myself, when I'm angry or emotionally upset. It is like I can not concentrate on what I'm seeing. I get a block. And I have to step back and give myself a couple of days to calm down before I can look at the cards again. It's like I short circuit on myself when I'm that way.

autumn star

I have done readings, when I have felt really upset. I wouldn't recommend it either - you can't really approach the cards with an open mind ... your emotions tend to get in the way. I have also found that emotional discord when tarot reading can produce some strange results ... and not as clear as if you have read with a clear mind.

Hope that helps :)

Emeraldgirl

I am not a very productive reader if I am upset as my mood seems to reflect back to me with the cards. That could just be a matter of objectivity as Catpaw showed with a different interpretation of the same cards but from a different viewpoint. It can be hard enough being objective when you are reading for yourself strong emotions adds to that.

Zephyros

I agree with the others here. I find it hard to read when I am going through something, but then, it makes sense that it would be so. There are so many things that I find hard to do when I am angry, hurt, tired or anything else. If Tarot is all about finding your center and radiating understanding frim it, then by all means it would be hard to be objective even when you are not under stress. Meditating, doing something like washing the dishes or even sleeping all work towards calming down for me.

(Yes, washing the dishes is a kind of therapy for me:) )