Transiting Saturn in Leo [split from "Saturn gives you what you need..."]

dadsnook2000

Your post asks an on-going question. For those born with the Sun in the sign of Leo we can generalize several meanings:

SUN CONJUNCT SATURN in Leo.
Sun is associated with health, vitality, the ability to integrate other factors in the natal chart. Saturn is associated with discipline, the passage of time and how physical things are preserved or broken down, depression and challenge. Outgoing Leos will need to manage their affairs better, be less dependant upon aid from others. Back and spine problems, the maintenance or loss of teeth, bone related problems (and the formation of blood components in the bone marrow) are typical health problems. Socially we will see government and institutional structures closely looked at, flaws in planning and staffing and in policies will come to light.

PERSONAL ISSUES.
Individuals will need to look at the chart house(s) that Saturn will be located in. This will point to personal challenges, a place where the use of resources will need to be closely managed, how older people (perhaps parents) influence our lives. Preparations should have been made, or may still have to be made, to meet that house's issues. Where other planets are in that house and will be contacted by Saturn's passage, that planet(s) will modify the focus and expression of Saturn. For instance, if Mercury is contacted by Saturn there can be issues with sight and physical coordination, a lack of understanding of problems with other people, a need to take up new studies or start an educational process, or a need to be more deliberate about travel plans, etc.

DEVELOPMENT ISSUES.
Saturn's passage through Leo has to also be looked at in terms of where it was when you were born. Treating the birth sign/house as the "first" house, what sign/house is Saturn now in? Apply that derived house's meaning to Saturn in terms of where/how you have to grow and change.

Going beyond these general observations requires each person to consider their highly individual birth chart and Saturn's movement relative to that chart. This is an excellent area of study for those new to astrology because it can be so instructive. Do take the time to personally reflect on your own chart and Saturn's present location in that chart. Have fun. Dave

huredriel

Hi Dave,

Thanks for posting all of that. I'm very new to astrology and find most of it goes right over my head at present. I'm a Sun and Mars Leo. Interesting about the bones and teeth - am booked in to have tooth out this month!!!

In my natal chart, my Saturn is in house 6 and has the sign of Aries (retrograde). I have no other planets in this house, so take it that there will be no other influence impacting on Saturn.

I've also done the progressed chart at astro, and it shows my Saturn is in Aries at present, not retrograde, sixth house I think - maybe I'm looking at it wrong? I haven't a clue what the smaller table next to the progressed table means (below the chart I hasten to add). Again, in the progressed chart there doesn't appear to be any other planets in there.

So I've looked up what House 6 represents, work etc, so does this mean that it will affect my career/work more than other areas of my life.

Apologies if this doesn't make proper sense, a lot of astrology is still floating over me!

Blessings
x Huredriel

dadsnook2000

For huredriel

Saturn is currently in its fifth house relative to its birth position. Think of this as a "phase" of its 29 year cycle. At this stage of your life and development you may tend to focus on re-defining your self-expression and creativity, especially those things that require activity and recognition (Mars is in Leo). Family pressures, in some ways, are starting to lessen and you feel more free timewise. This is probably a good time to do your own thing as Saturn will be moving into Virgo full-force in 2008, hitting all your heavy planets.

So, do your thing this year and start preparing yourself for changes next year so as to be ready for 2008 and beyond. I don't have your chart but it is quite possible that Scorpio is on your Ascendant or 1st house -- this places Virgo towards the top of your chart. It is likely time to move from the social and frivolous stage of life towards the purposeful time of life. Work, career, hobbies/interests -- anything that provides a solid direction and a purpose that helps you and others. Education of a formal nature may prove to be frustrating so perhaps volunteer or on-the-job-training or experience-gathering may prove a better path of preparation. Dave

huredriel

Thanks for this Dave,

I'm still trying to absorb the basics from astro, where I've pulled my natal and progressed charts. Fascinating stuff, yet doesn't flow like my tarot :D ...... I wish!
dadsnook2000 said:
Saturn is currently in its fifth house relative to its birth position. Think of this as a "phase" of its 29 year cycle. At this stage of your life and development you may tend to focus on re-defining your self-expression and creativity, especially those things that require activity and recognition (Mars is in Leo).
OK I think I get this, as the fifth house is defined as pleasure and creativity etc.
Family pressures, in some ways, are starting to lessen and you feel more free timewise.
Well the family pressure, I am doing my best to evade, but I am definitely feeling more free with time overall, due to recent heavy, but necessary changes made.
This is probably a good time to do your own thing as Saturn will be moving into Virgo full-force in 2008, hitting all your heavy planets.
To be honest the last few years have been very heavy hitting. Natal chart - moon in Cancer, sun in Leo, and I have Mercury, Venus, Jupiter, Uranus and Pluto all in Virgo.

I've had very heavy changes emotionally/relationship wise that hit properly 3 years ago, effects still being felt. So I presume that as Saturn gives us what we need as opposed to what we want (ego vs spirit etc), those emotional changes were a necessity. Not sure how Saturn is hitting my natal Sun at present, and then I guess will endure it through Virgo.
So, do your thing this year and start preparing yourself for changes next year so as to be ready for 2008 and beyond.
Ah yes, most definitely trying to do this now, although it feels as if the brakes are on permanently!
I don't have your chart but it is quite possible that Scorpio is on your Ascendant or 1st house -- this places Virgo towards the top of your chart.
In my natal chart, Scorpio is my rising sign (ascendent?) I believe in the progressed chart, my moon is now in Scorpio. Not quite got head round the progression aspects yet ...... plugging away with it though ....
It is likely time to move from the social and frivolous stage of life towards the purposeful time of life. Work, career, hobbies/interests -- anything that provides a solid direction and a purpose that helps you and others.
Yes, being practical, dealing with necessities, lots and lots of overtime!!!
Education of a formal nature may prove to be frustrating so perhaps volunteer or on-the-job-training or experience-gathering may prove a better path of preparation. Dave
Hmmm not dealing with any formal education stuff, waiting to start reiki, but not rushing to it ..... trying to be more flexible.

After reading your reply, I had a look at the house positions and astrological signs in the portrait section. Natally, Saturn was in my 6th house, with the sign of Aries. So being a cardinal fire sign, in the house of work and career etc, presume this means am able to decide on what I want and put in the necessary energy (or maybe I'm getting mixed up with my Mars in Leo)........ hmmm........ brain getting fuddled now.

I also tried to remember back to when Saturn was last in this position (I was very young) and do know that I had a lot of upheaval, moving home, unhappy emotions. I think the following few years (hitting Virgo?) were probably a lot more settled.

Many thanks for trying to explain this to me.

Blessings
x Huredriel

isthmus nekoi

Huredriel,

Looking at the past is probably one of the best ways to predict a planet's transit's effects. Although it sounds like you had a rough time before, try to think of the issues that were brought up - perhaps you have learned a great deal from the last transit and now you are better prepared!

As for Saturn in 5th (the actual 5th house though, not derived)... I ended up taking a year off to do art school and it was then I tightened up my skills in the visual arts. I also took private composition classes for my piano and visited the writing center at school. The overall theme was a strong improvement in the structure (very Saturnian no?) in my creative work.

huredriel

Thanks Isthmus for your reply, I've actually had a chat with my mum about this, to see just what kind of effect was around 29 years ago. Well it was pretty bad, and things were out of my control, being so young etc. however the major move happened a year later - from one end of the country to almost the other, was not pleasant. I certainly never fitted in up there! Nearly 9 years later, I left.

Hmmm re. your comment about structure in creativity ..... wondering if perhaps this applies to inner work ..... healing ...... being able to see the true potential of self ..... and then helping to heal others ..... or maybe that's emotional.

It's certainly got my brain ticking furiously away over here LOL.

Thanks very much
x Huredriel

squeakmo9

dadsnook2000 said:
DEVELOPMENT ISSUES.
Saturn's passage through Leo has to also be looked at in terms of where it was when you were born. Treating the birth sign/house as the "first" house, what sign/house is Saturn now in? Apply that derived house's meaning to Saturn in terms of where/how you have to grow and change.

Going beyond these general observations requires each person to consider their highly individual birth chart and Saturn's movement relative to that chart. This is an excellent area of study for those new to astrology because it can be so instructive. Do take the time to personally reflect on your own chart and Saturn's present location in that chart. Have fun.
This is neat, if I'm following this correctly...
my natal Saturn is in the 8th, ruled by Aries, squaring Venus in the 11th, so I understand that this placement indicates that I need to cultivate both discipline and discretion in regards to channeling sexual energy, taking proper responsibilities of other peoples money or not relying as much on others resources, approval? Studying metaphysical subjects could be helpful in understanding "karmic" issues since this house is in charge of past life issues?
So when I count forward to where Saturn is presently sitting, it lands in my 12th house, Leo (natally) but derived it is the "5th house"? Development thru creativity, recreation, romance??
If I'm doing this correct, it would make sense that I have taken a deep interest in self-improvement, looking over old patterns of thinking, behaving as a result of a relationship I had about two and half years ago. I feel like I've really made some strides in these last couple of years and it's funny how this time period outlasted the relationship by a long shot (LOL). It's really interesting how someone can just walk into your life and totally turn it upside down, for the better-NOW. At first, it was absolute hell. With Saturn in the 12th, natally, reflecting on these last few years has been healing and allows me to let go of many things in myself and my life that I really don't need anymore.
Great thread Dave.
Blessings,
Squeakmo9

dadsnook2000

For squeakmo9

I believe you are applying these techniques appropriately. Reflecting on how Saturn moved through your chart over time should give you some good ideas as to the ways Saturn can work if you work with Saturn. In addition to the movement through the actual houses and the derived houses, also note when major conjunctions were made. This is how we learn. Dave

PS, after you've done these things we can talk about some deeper uses of these same tools.

squeakmo9

dadsnook2000 said:
In addition to the movement through the actual houses and the derived houses, also note when major conjunctions were made.
I had a major conjunction this past June.
Natal Jupiter at 27 degrees was hit by transiting Saturn on 6/23/05 in Cancer(my natal 12th house). A series of events were set off. I had been in contact with the guy that I had a relationship with two and half years ago. I was considering getting back together with him (I know-sad, but true). We had been speaking again, off and on for a couple of months at that point. I was unsure of his motives and was weary. So this issue could be catagorized as a 5th house issue(derived)? In conversation we were mulling over when we would see each other. I suggested the following day, he said no. The following work day was unusally busy, I had been feeling very fatigued already for a few days. At the end of my day, this guy calls me at work, I had already left. Little did I know that he had left 2 messages on my cell back to back asking me to call him immediately. I began to get anxious because he never calls in succession like that, he never calls period. We have a mutual friend who is sickly and thought maybe he was calling with some bad news. I remember my heart was racing when I returned his call. I was so scared but I'm not sure why at the time. He said he called because he wanted to know if I wanted to go out. I thought, "didn't he just say no the day before"? I was dumbfounded. I thought he was playing me for a fool again. The room began to spin, I became dizzy and attributed it to being tired but it was more than that. I hung up on him. For two months after I was lightheaded and dizzy. When I went to the doctor they thought it was an inner ear condition(health issue-12th house?). I have since felt better. Pretty sure this conditon was brought on by an anxiety attack. The first and last anxiety attack I had was in Feb 2003 when he dumped me. At that time Saturn was almost conjuncting my natal Venus but I think at too wide an orb-7 degrees- to make an impact, not sure. In any case, I found the conjunction of transiting Saturn to my natal Jupiter interesting. Was it all a coincidence? Angelic intervention? Perhaps, with natal Jupiter in 12th being hit it also set off the natal trine with Neptune in 4th;natal Neptune in 4th is in opposition to my Sun, Moon, Mercury in 9th). Well, whatever it was it made me stop (literally) and think. Think about many things pertaining to the recent and not so recent past.
Squeakmo9