Mars Square Neptune and some questions from a newbie to astrology

noby

When it comes time to go back to college, I drive from home (VA) to college in California. During my most recent roadtrip (8/23-8/27), I noticed how dangerously scattered and distracted I was, as well as how accident-prone. I sliced my fingers open on a razor--twice, constantly dropped things, and in the event that takes the prize, I accelerated forward to drive out of a parking space--and right over the concrete barrier I had forgotten was there! At first I couldn't get my car back over the barrier, and I was so grateful that I didn't end up blowing a tire, screwing up my car, or staying stuck. I couldn't make decisions worth a damn either--I almost ran out of gas one day when I couldn't decide where to stop, then realized I was in the middle of nowhere and if I kept going I was going to run out of gas before I got to the next station, and had to backtrack. And on and on.

As I was driving through Albuquerque, NM, I stumbled across an astrologial report on the radio. I was surprised to hear astrology on the radio period, much less an actuall discussion of the movements of the planets, rather than simplistic by-sign horoscopes. The astrologer mentioned a few different planetary relationships, and then, even before she went on to explain, a smile of recognition crept across my face when I heard "Mars Square Neptune." I could just see how those two planets when in an inharmonious relationship could lead to scattered energy and mistakes. And from what I recall, the astrologer's interpretation verified my initial recognition.

I'm just a neophyte at this, and have a few questions. Would you all describe Mars Square Neptune as helping to create this effect? And the astrologer said this relationship did not become exact until the next day (my mounting of the parking barrier incident had happened that morning). How far out from the moment of an exact square would this aspect have an effect?

Finally, a much broader question. I initially learned astrology by studying the qualities associated with the planets, signs, and houses, and then the qualities associated with different relationships between and among planets. I then put in my information at astro.com and have studied my chart, and now also study my daily horoscope there, with its list of various long-term and short-term transits.

My question is, what is the relationship between one's personal transits (movements of planets relative to their position at one's time of birth) and the general movements of planets? I would assume it's a matter of how one's personal transits might or might not counteract or amplify the general movements in the heavens at the time. Which leads me to a practical question--where would one find lists of general planetary movement and aspects, as opposed to one's personal transits? Is such a list what is referred to as an "ephemeris"?

isthmus nekoi

Hey there noby, great questions... let's tackle em one by one.

- Neptune-Mars square. Earlier on this month we had a t-square formed by Neptune-Mercury in opposition with Mars at the apex. A bit of a doozy. However, b/c it affected you so strongly (and from your post it sounds like you aren't usually like this), I would guess that the t-square was aspecting your own chart in some way. Which brings me to your next question:

- the personal transits are caused by the general movements of the planets in the sky. Your natal chart is a snapshot of the planets at your birth. But the planets have long since moved on from those points which are now hypothetical points in the sky that the actual planets can touch as they orbit. It sounds like you've grasped this concept, but I just wanted to go over it again.... What's the relation? Think of it like the weather.... the planets' configurations set up a general weather pattern as it were, and if any of those patterns happen to make an aspect to your chart, that part of the weather has a stronger effect on you. Does that make sense? It's like.... it's raining everywhere, but w/a personal transit, you are the one struck by lightening.

- there's a free ephemeris on astro.com. It's on the left hand side bar. I didn't notice it at first either :)

noby

Thanks, isthmus.

Sorry for the delay in reply. I tend to forget this corner of the forums :)

Yes, I have seen the ephemeris on astro.com. But it only lists the signs of the planets. What about their relationships to each other? That's what I'm really curious about. My original question was about the relationships of the planets to each other in the heavens at the time versus personal transits. For example, sometimes one can even see in the night sky the conjunction of two planets. I'm interested in how planetary relationships may be affecting everyone from day to day. Is there a place one can find a list of such general planetary aspects?

isthmus nekoi

Hm... at this point, I use a print calendar for daily aspects so I don't know an online one. Perhaps another member does?

As for daily effects, http://www.skywatchastrology.com/ is a wonderful blog that keeps an up to date interpretation of the skies. The author, doesn't list all the aspects, but does talk about the most prominent ones.

noby

Oh, that's a cool site, isthmus. Thanks for pointing it out! Seems to cover the most important stuff, and in a nicely and clearly written way.

(And if anyone knows of a site simply listing all the different aspects, I'd still enjoy knowing of that, too :))