My time-frame problem-- Any answers?

magpie9

I have the worst time staying within the time limit per reading at Psychic Fairs. My sense of time, such as it is, evaporates as I get into the reading. Wearing a watch dosen't help, either-- I forget to look at it, or I feel guilty doing it. I bought a nice digital oven timer but I keep forgetting to start it, Grrrr!
I notice that a lot of readers either have the same problem, or else don't care, since nobody seems to do that well with this, at the fairs I go to.

How do other people handle this? I've got to find a way that actually works. It's an economic issue to me, and, I think, a boundry issue, as well.

zorya

i've not tried one myself, but i believe there are now watches that have vibrating timers.

this way you don't even have to look at it. with the client not hearing it, i could be set early enough to warn you to start wrapping up the reading.

Satori

This is a huge issue.
One friend has suggested to me that I bring an assistant with me to expos.
The assistant would run crowd control at the booth, take appointments, let me know when I was five minutes before the end of a reading and so forth.

This is an excellent idea for those times when you know you will be booked. You don't lose as many customers, you know, the ones who wander away because they just can't wait any longer.

The assistant can give each customer a receipt with how long a reading you are going to give, and they take the money in advance as well. So then the customer gives you the tag, and you read, and don't have to worry about the money or the time.

What I also do is ask people if they realize how fast 20 minutes can fly by. I let them know that I will end at 20 so if they want to double book 40 minutes we will have a more comfortable reading.

This is actually the best solution I have found. Book a longer time to start with, and charge for the extra time. Just don't even do the short readings anymore. They always go long, the people want the extra time, and you of course want them to get the info.

Plus when you start doing this you set up an internal message that says you are worth the time, and your time is valuable.

I use my cell phone clock right now. I just leave it open on the table and glance at it occassionally. But you have to remember when you start each reading!!!

magpie9

I love the assistant idea--that would make it sooooo much easier! Absolutely Brilliant, Elf!

Vibrating watches...what next?? I heard of a tough-guy one years ago, that stuck a little pin or spike into your wrist to alert you...I never knew if it was real, or a put-on.

mercenary30

My suggestion would be to go the opposite way....

Find a nice hour glass....or in this case a 15 minute glass.

It adds some old school mystique and takes care of your problem at the same time!!

magpie9

I am thinking about where I could find a small hourglass---a cooking store? Or where? I've always wanted one, anyway. :D

Ace

Those hourglasses look like fun! I tried an hour glass and could not read with it, it was too distracting. Some kitchen timers have a 3 and/or 5 minute warning. That might help.
Ace

magpie9

Great hourglasses, but waaaaaay out of my budget range!

Umbrae

Think about this one…

A Celtic Cross has 10 cards. In a 30-minute reading that allows three minutes of discussion per card.

If you do 20-minute readings that’s two minutes per card.

I honed my reading style in bars with people drinking alcoholic beverages. I did 7-card readings and allowed about 1-minute per card (ya gotta think about the attention span of a drunk – even IF they’re interested) so my reading style tends towards the short and to-the-point.

NOW…

Turn away from you clock (after noting the time), look at nothing and just sit. You may turn around and participate in life again after 45-seconds. 45 seconds (half of three minutes) does not seem like a long time…until you’ve been on ‘hold’ on the phone for 45-seconds.

3 minutes per card is a long time…however…

The Celtic Cross is soooo complex. It’s not just 10 cards. Its much more complex than that. You’ve got patterns of cards, you’ve got no fewer than 3 smaller spreads contained therein!

My suggestion is multi-phased. Do some readings and time yourself. What’s the average time? Use YOUR average as a starting point.

You may also need to take more control of the reading, not limiting the sitters input, but keeping it more focused. When they get off-track, you may need to pick up the card in question and ‘show’ it to them, “Yes, of course you are correct - -you may need to contemplate the 14 of Ceiling Tiles further…”

You may need to begin the reading with the cards face-down (a huge help for you and the sitter), it may help provide more focus and control, preventing ‘scattering’ of input.

Lastly, an hourglass. Much better than a kitchen timer. I remember reading in a fair with a lovely woman at the next table. Blued hair, nice lovely lace table cloth covering a coloured accent cloth. A lovely little lamp. Ooooo such a homey atmosphere. And a kitchen timer going TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK ICKY POOO RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGG and everybody in the hall knows her time is up.

You think an hourglass is out of your price range? You might tell the universe to ‘make it so’. Read, and you’ll afford an hourglass.