The Fair's Tarot Reader

Satori

Our town fair is this weekend.

The fair has one Tarot reader, and she is the woman who lives across from the store where I work as a reader.

She is, I believe, Romany.

So tell me pro readers, is it wrong to go and get a reading from her, and not tell her that I am a reader??

I was considering not wearing certain jewelry I usually wear so that she wouldn't even see me as new agey!

Truth is, I asked to participate in this fair a year ago and they said they only want one reader. And I did notice that she isn't that busy all day, but that at night she was very busy.

I want to go to her to see what she does, how she does it and if I can learn anything.

Plus, I am just curious.

What do you think???

Ilithiya

I don't see anything wrong with you not mentioning you read... of course, I don't see anything wrong with mentioning it either.

It's up to you. There aren't really any right or wrong ways to approach another reader, provided that you're still following basic rules of etiquette (ie don't interrupt or contradict, etc).

Go, have fun. Don't let it worry you - what does she (or you, for that matter) have to feel intimidated about? Don't dentists go see other dentists? :D

Illy

poivre

I go all the time to readers to learn.
I tell them that I need a reading and everyone
has their own reading skills.
If I need to tell them I read I do and
if I don't tell them, I don't feel like they
needed to know!
We learn from each other,
even from our personalities.

zorya

i think most go to readers to see past or through illusions. to seek truth.

not sure i understand the advantage of intentionally hiding something.

magpie9

I'd go. And I don't think you are in any way required to tell her you read. I'm always curious about what other readers do differently--or the same--as I do. It's not like you are stealing from her, you just want to satify your curiosity. It's one of the things we all discuss in many ways here on ATF, because we want to learn from each other, because we're curious, and why not?
Go for it!

Moongold

Tarot readers are entitled to have readings as well.

Why should you not go, and why not see how it plays out as to whether you tell her about yourself? You will know instinctively whether and when to say anything.

Sometimes it helps to purely suspend all experience and knowledge and have the reading as if one has never had one before.

I would take such an opportunity without question :). And why should it matter whether she knows you are a reader or not? I don't feel compelled to tell the staff at my local library that I used to be a librarian. :)

tmgrl2

Hi elf!

I've mentioned this in other threads, but I do tell them...at least the last two readings that I have had since I started reading professionally.

I know a little piece of me is bursting at the seams to see what cards come up and when they are turned over, my face gives all away....and why not?

The reading is an interactive process.

I told both readers...very simply...I also read Tarot, but from time to time feel that I need a reading from someone myself...for guidance.

The first woman got all nervous and told me she really doesn't know card meanings or use spreads ...that she started reading with the cards after her dad died. She was very "religious"....not just "spiritual" which was fine. She was lovely and I did get some guidance I could use, although she was steering me towards helping people "cross over" which I sensed is an agenda for her...that is fine.

The man I went to is quite highly favored...reads at our local meta shop.

I told him that I read....He simply said...that's fine, but I would ask you to let me read, the we can talk....The first five cards that came up were an amazing first five...one was Page of Swords (my early significator card for myself)...one was Death (my Astrological card)....He could see my face, and as we went along, it was quite interactive.....he said he really enjoyed reading for me and I felt that the reading was very helpful.

I would return to him again...and may this fall.

Somehow telling the reader I read, is like telling someone when you have a big sore or pimple on your face...."I have this big pimple that just popped out today!" Or ...we tell people who stutter to tell others..."Sometimes I stutter."

It reduces the tension created by the "secret" of wondering whether someone will notice or something will happen....just get it out and move on.

This is just my opinion and so far, it has worked for me. Certainly, if the reader didn't want to read for me then, well I wouldn't want them to anyhow.
There shouldn't be any reason they wouldn't read for another reader.

Psychiatrists and psychologists and social workers go to others in these professions to get help for themselves...and they don't keep it a secret as to what they do for a living.

We have a big psychic fair in New York that has made rounds for more than 20 years....Hard to choose someone, since they often have about 15 readers when they come to a hotel on Long Island.

Keep us posted, Claudia!!

terri

Satori

Well, I'm dressed and ready for the fair.
I have on my Om earrings, my moonstone pendant, and my moonstone bracelet. Now, I don't think I scream Tarot Reader, however I do have a certain flair about me! ;)
I just sort of wanted to just go for a reading without telling because it sets up a dynamic.
To tell or not to tell should be the name of the thread!

It really is magic you know.
The smell of the fried dough hangs in the air, the sounds of the people laughing and talking surround you and there, not far from the booth where they sell the ride tickets and just beside the ferris wheel (!) is the Tarot reader and her hubby who does guess your weight.

tmgrl2

LOL!! Love it, elf!!

I'll make you a bet that you TELL...

Let us know when you get back...

terrigirl

Imagemaker

Or the tarot will . . .