Old soul, new soul, soul age??

Gracey

Hello,

Does anyone know how to figure out if someone is a new soul or an old soul. I believe it is by degrees into the sign, like 29 degrees cancer would be old soul, 8 degrees cancer would be new.

Is this part of eosteric astrology? I don't know much about eosteric astro,, but I am interested in those deeper issues, so it could be a cool study.

Any ideas, all are appreciated. :)

~g

Astraea

Hi Gracey. I was an esoteric astrologer for 30-plus years before retiring in 2003. The age/experience level of the soul cannot be determined by means of the horoscope, which would be the same for any person, thing or event born at a particular moment. The soul of a conscious being "fills" the symbols of the horoscope, imbuing them with various qualities and responses to life. Early and late degrees can be interpreted in a symbolic sense as implying familiarity with particular energies, but not literally. The soul operates through the body as its vehicle, which is associated with a particular birth time and place; but the soul, itself, is not tied to those limitations or identified with the chart in a linear fashion. That is why we can develop our potentials and grow in wisdom and understanding, even amidst the most challenging circumstances and environments.

Gracey

Hi,

Thank you for explaining it. Do you have any favorite books on esoteriic astro or astrology in general.

So there is no way to tell, old soul new soul, as far as earth incarnations?

Thank you for sharing your wisdom!!

Blessings,
Gracey

WolfyJames

What I read was to check where were the most planets. If there are at the first houses (1, 2, 3, 4), it's a sign for a young soul, it's in last houses (9, 10, 11, 12), then it could be an old soul. But, a soul goes through the astrological wheel many times so what could appear as a young soul could be an old soul starting the wheel again and being in a new cycle, which means that there is no real way to know if a soul is young or old. Beside, old doesn't necessarely means wiser, some keep on screwing up and need to reincarnate a lot of times to learn their lessons while others land their lessons at their first or second times. So the concept that old is better is wrong.

Gracey

Yes, I agree with what you are saying too.

Hmmm, well I got the first method from an astrolger, practicing atleast 15 years, not saying she is right. It just intrigued me. I don't think old is wiser. I don't know what it could mean. Obviously the first few times you come to earth, you would run into some things that others already got used to. Some simpler issues, may seem overwhelming. I also heard newer souls received more 'help' ; guides, luck, something to ease them along a little at times. I am not judging, its just interesting.

Its a possibility. I do not know. I just wondered what everyone thought. If there are some books or articles on it, that would be fun to read.

Thanks alot for all the ideas! :)

Astraea

Gracey said:
So there is no way to tell, old soul new soul, as far as earth incarnations?
No, there is no objective way to determine that information. The birthchart is a "snapshot" of a process, but it is not a picture of the soul, itself. Furthermore, astrologers (and others) who claim to be able to determine the age of the soul through intuition can be mistaken, because in order to make that assessment one must be on a high enough plane oneself to see vast panoramas. And, as WolfyJames says, the idea that older=better is off the mark. Each of us is circulating within the lifestream, doing our part -- that is what matters.

For a general but deeply insightful book about esoteric astrology, there is an excellent volume called Transpersonal Astrology by Erroll Weiner. It is now out of print, but I am sure that you would be able to find a used copy on-line through Abebooks or Amazon.

Minderwiz

Hi Astraea,

I know that Allan Oken has written a book, which I think is called Soul Centred Astrology. I've not read it myself but I have read some of Oken's other stuff and found it reasonable.

Have you read Oken's Soul Centred Astrology and if so would it be a reasonable alternative if your recommendatio proves impossible to lay hands on?

Astraea

Hi Minderwiz. I've read Oken's book and, while I couldn't tell you why, it does nothing for me -- the information is technically correct, but there's a level of depth and genuine wisdom present in the Weiner book that is lacking (for me) in Oken's. If the Weiner book proves impossible to find, Oken's would be the only other introduction to the subject that I'm aware of and it is acceptable.

Alan Leo wrote a book on esoteric astrology, and of course the most comprehensive treatment of the subject is presented in Alice A. Bailey's Esoteric Astrology. Leo's book is available in reprint, but it represents his personal understanding of the subject and is highly idiosyncratic. Bailey's book assumes a great deal of knowledge of both astrology and theosophy. Weiner's book, for me, is the perfect bridge between the universal and the specific. It offers general but vital information without oversimplification, and it prepares the way for an in-depth approach to the Bailey material.

Esoteric astrology of the type referred to above is a very specific branch of the study, with a definite structure and three-tiered set of rulerships. Strictly speaking, any approach to the birthchart that focuses on the soul could be called esoteric, but the branch of astrology that has come down to us as "esoteric astrology" is typically associated with the theosophical schools, specifically the Alice A. Bailey lineage.

Gracey

Thank You for the book titles! I will hunt those down. Sometimes on ebay, old rare books can pop up too.

I am very interested in it. I hope that it can shine a light on some of the areas still eluding me in my astrological studies.

Thank you,
gracey

I do not know

Run! Quickly!

Gracey said:
figure out if someone is a new soul or an old soul.

Back in the late 80s old soul versus new soul became a crystallization, a dogma, of the then current new age movement. While I know nothing about esoteric astrology, if the body is a vessel for the soul and the soul itself cannot be seen by us, then it would seem the soul lives outside of space-time (while the vessel does not). If the soul indeed lives outside of space-time, then it is ageless, and new versus old is irrelevant.

Since I believe the soul is ageless, whenever I hear the terms old soul versus new soul mentioned with an air of seriousness, I run in the other direction--quickly.