Whats in a Name.

Elven

Hi all :) 'tis Elven :p

Just a quick question ...
I was redsigning my business cards so I can put them in the cafe I read at.

Do you display or use your real name? or do you use an abreviation, different spelling, another name, a grand name, your maiden name?

Just thinking along the lines of exposure, safety, different cultures, countries, Tarot acceptance - etc.

Whats your view on this? Ive put my real name and phone number, but I find it interesting because I have seen others (cards and advertising) that do not do this.

This is where we need a glam Tarot Reader Name Generator!! LOL!! :D ;) :p
Thanks all!!

Many Blessings
Elven x

Umbrae

Spoze everybody's different.

I’ve met readers who use bogus names. Some say it’s for booking parties.

But you know, you ain’t Swami Mish-Mumkin…you are who you ARE.

So I ask you.

Are you proud of who you are?

Are you proud to read Tarot.

Are you proud to be a Tarot Professional?

If you answered yes to any of those questions – use your real name.

If some swanky posh party hires you to read and they just cannot have Susan Smith, Tarot Reader…then you may become Madam Khoaga for the night…

Clau

I totally agree with you Umbrae....but doesn't "Madame Kalalú" sound great?

:p

Love,

tarotbear

I'm only 'Tarotbear' online.

My book and my business cards have my real name on them.

My last name does not appear on my website, however.

There is nothing wrong with having a 'stage name.' However, you have to balance it with actually using it. If you need to have protection or privacy from your religious-zealot co-workers or church, having a 'stage name' is a matter of safety. You don't want harassing phonecalls. Madame Kalalu sounds great! However, remember that some high falutin' name with also give you an aura of being a charlatan, so avoid something too outrageous or pompous claims on your card (remember Miss Cleo!).

Sulis

I'm only Sulis on-line too.

In real life I'm me.

Like Tarotbear I only use my first name on my website.

Love

Sulis xx

tarotbear

I should add: I also try to make sure there is no connection between 'tarotbear' and my real name, which is why I do not have my last name on my website. Yes, the cover of my book has it, but there is no 'web crawler' connection between my two names. This is done so that someone 'googling' for my book does not get sent to a gay men's site and find out the author is a gay print model! :smoker:

That is why any time my real name has appeared on Aeclectic in connection with my book that I have asked to poster to remove my name from the post.

Umbrae

tarotbear said:
...protection or privacy from your religious-zealot co-workers or church, having a 'stage name' is a matter of safety. You don't want harassing phonecalls.
I used to fear the zealot’s. I don’t’ anymore. Bring ‘em on. I’ve read far more of the Bible than any of them have.

Phone calls? I use only my cell phone for ‘business’, and it does not respond to blocked or restricted incoming caller ID’s.

We’ve lived in fear for too long. Fear from zealous religious groups, fear from sexual identity militants, fear from racial purists. I no longer choose fear.

That’s why I use my real name.

Only here, does Umbrae exist. And it’s just a handle – not an identity.

Be proud of who you are. You are a Tarot Professional.

PS: I shoot back.

Alissa

I use my real name, as I see it as marketing myself - whether that be for henna, or for Tarot.

But then again, I use my real name online here too.

tmgrl2

My business cards say

Tarot Readings by Terri at top left...

Then I my have my full name at bottom left

then phone number (I have a separate line in our office that is mine)
then e-mail.

I use my real name. Why not.

On my flyers, it says Tarot Readings by Terri

but those I give out with card or when someone comes to my office and they read it as I set up.

terri

My new cards also say...For your enchantment, enlightenment and entertainment....Tarot Reading in New York is considered "fortune telling" so I want to make sure I have covered this base when I hand out cards.

I had an unfortunate incident 28 years ago, when I had business cards printed up while waiting for my License in Speech Pathology....man who was going to check why state hadn't processed my application (I had just moved to NY)....asked for my address...and because these cards said "Licensed" and I was waiting for the paper trail to catch up...he sued me...State of New York vs....ME...I was cleared of any charges since we have loads of lawyers in our family, but I had to go before a judge in Monticello , New York and be released on my own recognizance without bail!! It was horrible....Of course, I got my license and I hadn't been practicing while I was waiting for it, so they had no case, only a business card....but never again, I said.

Shade

Here's my take, if you're in business as a reader you are a brand. You are competing with other brands. It has been show that having a memorable name greatly increases the likelihood of return business. If your name is Katherine Henrietta Moswtowski you might want to shorten that down. "Tarot by Kate" is a lot easier to remember when your clients are talking to their friends. When I started reading at events I only used my first name.

Everything in moderation, you also want to be taken seriously. "Queen Chantarelle Mistress of the Mists of Time and Space" will probably turn some people away.

On a personal level taking on a certain name is part of building the magical personality. I am Shade to everyone I communicate with in the pagan community. It keeps things simple. And lets remember Marilyn Monroe has a star on the walk of fame, Norma Jean does not. Norma Jean was an actress, Marilyn Monroe is an icon.