Midheaven and Vocation

Julia

I was wondering how to determine one's career by looking at midheaven on a natal chart. Mine has Saturn conjunct the midheaven, what does that mean? What are the vocations that go with Saturn at midheaven? What if someone does not have any planet in the 10th house at all?

purplefishy

I've often wondered this, as I have the same thing going on...

isthmus nekoi

some things to consider w/vocation... which finds its roots in "vocare" literally, to call - vocation as a calling.

- sign cusping MC, placement of sign ruler (e.g. if it's Capricorn, look at where Saturn is and who he's aspecting)
- planets conj MC and their placement/aspects
- planets in 10th and their placement/aspects

Then consider these in the context of:
- 2nd house (how you generate your funds)
- 6th house (coworkers, work environment)
- overall personality (what careers suit this chart overall?)

Ultimately, vocation is a very holistic thing and I don't think you can look to one house/angle or follow a set of steps. So I don't think I can effectively answer what Saturn in 10th would indicate in terms of a profession..... It is not a question that lends itself to quick answers.

A more in depth article (A Question of Vocation) here: http://www.astrosynthesis.com.au/articles/articles.html

Gracey

That's a great article, thank you! I have Neptune in Sagittarius in the 10th House. So, its been really confusing for me to figure out what I should do. I do alot of different things and hopefully that will be fufilling and not spreading myself too thin.

Usually if I try the wrong thing, something stops me.

Its definitely a holistic issue. We have a Long Life to do many things. Vocations could be many.

Thank You for the insight.

Deszroo

Hi Julia..I don't know if you've seen it but I posted on info at the thread "Singleton?? chart shape....job"...related what your are asking. This may or may not apply to you but ..many times especially with the pressure of money making and society in general we focus on fitting ourselves to a job or career...instead of the other way around. Theres much more to the natal chart even though MC is always stressed its just one of the factors and not necessarily the overriding factor in a chart per say. As yours is tenented; with planets then it becomes more pertinent but it also has to rely on other factors as well as themes that are supported/repeated. Our drives, motivations, joys, needs, outlook on the world on a deeper level and inner issues often go unaddressed in an organised; clear manner we can relate to...yet therein lies the answers to our confusions or seaching. For some people is just momentary laspe but for others its a lifelong issue. Time and maturity, coming to grips with reality, has a lot to do with it. Having to do what you "should" do is a pressing point of view many can relate to..however with Saturn at MC making ones mark, distiction is emphasised...sometimes specialization is indicated. On the other hand it helps to first understand Saturns lessons as wherever Saturn is we are called upon to deal with things more structured or seriously. Saturns tendency is to hold back, be cautious, fear, even stingy...but I've found with Saturn we acutally have to give of ourselves. The 2nd, 6th, 10th are important. Theres also the house cusps fo Capricorn and even Aquarius ..both houses expressions are in a way seeking expression through the 10th. How or not this expresses or manifests is another thing. . . Anyways this is still all somewhat superficial until one looks at other things in the whole chart and how they connect. For example I've found reading about the moon phase during ones birth to be very interesting and applicable on its own but wholistically also.

Ok, I am rambling on (too many retrogrades in the air!;).

Desz

dadsnook2000

For Julia

It is not so much as what vocation Saturn/MC suggests as to what Saturn there brings to your identity and way of managing life. For example, Saturn at the area of your chart can suggest a sense of responsiblity, of caution, of rigidity, of associating with conservative goals and older people, of banking and bureaucratic enviornments, etc., etc.

How would these and other such qualities apply to any job or vacation that you pursue? Dave

wizzle

I tend to read in a manner very similar to Dadsnook. To what he said I'd add that:

- you are probably looking for a steady, long term vocation that doesn't change too much
- you have a serious attitude toward work and will do well with considerable responsibility
- saturn is structure, and I believe you should go with a larger organization rather than an small business. Look too for one where you can progress, where there is scope for upward mobility.

For additional details, check the aspects other planets make to your Saturn. This could be a good placement for a career in politics if you have other indicators.

dadsnook2000

Politics!

Yes, Wizzle, politics. Years ago when the US Presidential nominations were decided by primary votes in each of the states over several months, I used to track each politician using precession-corrected Lunar Returns for that state locality. The polititian that had Saturn closest to the MC almost always won that primary vote. Forgot about that. Even today, Saturn at the MC is significant for most successful polititians. Thanks for reminding me. Dave

star-lover

that chapy m guaquilin (spelling) did a big research project years ago into profession and mc
he found correlations like mars for sportsmen, saturn for politics, etc etc
so i think theres something in it

to me the mc is how others see you/what your reputation is
i have gemini mc and i have got a reputation amongst my friends for being good with words, witty, blah blah etc

my mercury is in 2nd house in libra
ideal dream job lawyer or novelist
i sell books on ebay to make money these days
merc conjunct venus - ive dabbled in interior design
merc exact sextile to uranus in 12th - thought of astrology
3rd house (gemini again related) have neptune there in scorpio - thinking now tarot could be way forward working with dreams images and the such

back to gemini mc - temped as a secretary alot over the years
jack of all trades master of none type

as opposed to saturn on mc would think thats totally the opposite

mars in cancer in 10th - never found a proper career to fulfill me /frustrated

always thought i would be good in the army lol

dadsnook2000

For Star-lover

Mars in Cancer, in the really olden days, always was said to represent the warrior defending his country. So, the army fits. Actually, when the Sun was in Cancer, the summer months, and Mars was there also, the farmer could leave his fields and fight for the king. Dave