Just started college...

L'Etoile

...and I find I have no time for tarot anymore. It's killing me! I built up my collection over the summer in anticipation of the starving-college-kid thing, but now I spend all my time on school stuff. Anyone else ever have this problem with big/busy parts of their lives? It'd be nice to know I'm not alone. ;_;

rainwolf

LMAO--I'm actually doing the complete opposite: I'm trying to sell/give away all the cards I dont use and have a set of decks that I love. I have 6 tarot decks and 1 oracle deck (well, 2 technically). I'm only bringing 1 deck, 1 astrology book, and my tarot journal to college (and OF COURSE AT).

Instead of worrying about buying more tarot decks once you are in college, you could use the decks you have now to better your skills. :) Most colleges are very liberal and you could probably get away with making some extra money with tarot readings. (hey, win win situation here LOL)

Anyway, I'm kinda in the same situation.

What college are you going to? Is it in arizona? I have some friends going there.

Greywoolfe

I work in security, which entails very long shifts in terms of hours. Sometimes, it's very hard indeed to find the time to do readings or read books. It can be very disappointing if you don't find the time!

temperlyne

Between my studies and work I hardly have enough time to do everything I want. The wonderful thing about studying tarot is that I can do it everywhere. I try to enlive every situation conciously and try to match it to a perticular card. That way tarot is in my mind most of the time even when I don't have time to shuffle trough a deck or read a book.

okieinalaska

Well, I am way past my college years. ; ) But have the same problem. Not enought time. I have a lot of other things I love besides tarot (like I want to sew my halloween costume but haven't started yet)

My kids are 5 and 3 so I don't have a lot of time to myself after work. Maybe an hour after they go to bed until it's time for me to hit the hay as well.

What I have been doing is picking a suit (I started with wands) and if I have down time during the day (which is usually only a few minutes) I mentally go through each card, what it looks like, what it means. I don't even have to have the cards with me and it really helps to visualize the cards like this.

Good luck with school. College was great and while I stop short at saying those were the good old days, LOL, it was a wonderful time. : )

Amy

Kaylee Marie

What I hated most about school was that it made me stop reading for pleasure. I'm an avid reader, but during high school and college, I rarely touched a book for myself, except over breaks.

I started studying tarot during my third year of college, and it provided a new way to bring "reading" back into my life. Rather than commit (or not) to a full novel, I could read a card for 5 minutes a day and not feel guilty about taking time from my school studies.

Of course, if you're used to reading tarot for hours or more each day, five minutes is going to seem like a major withdrawal. You'll just have to accept that your situation is different now and your priorities have changed. Change is a valuable part of life, and it's easier if you accept the changes and work with them. You can't spend a lot of time on tarot now, but maybe you'll be able to again in the future. (Even though winter break seems like forever from now, it really is just around the corner!)

If tarot is really that important to you, you'll find a way to fit it in someway, somewhere, somewhen (okay, made that last one up). Rejoice in the 5-10 minutes you give yourself as if it were a nice warm bubble bath. It's not ONLY five minutes. You GET TO SPEND five minutes with tarot!! Outlook is everything.

Or you could just drop out of school. Who needs college anyway? :p

Asenath

Kaylee Marie said:
Or you could just drop out of school. Who needs college anyway? :p

I second the motion!!!

Of course I'm saying this knowing that I try to check AT everyday -- a few times a day. That's how I get my fix till I go to bed each night. I've never really done a lot of readings cause I've never had that many questions to ask, but I do do my daily card draw each morning.

So instead of doing my homework (I'm at Uni, too), I will continue to cruise through the forums... ;)

MeeWah

Kaylee Marie said:
What I hated most about school was that it made me stop reading for pleasure. I'm an avid reader, but during high school and college, I rarely touched a book for myself, except over breaks...

...If tarot is really that important to you, you'll find a way to fit it in someway, somewhere, somewhen (okay, made that last one up). Rejoice in the 5-10 minutes you give yourself as if it were a nice warm bubble bath. It's not ONLY five minutes. You GET TO SPEND five minutes with tarot!! Outlook is everything.

My formal school days over a long time ago but I remember the struggle to read text books & assigned reading materials as opposed to reading what I not only enjoyed more, but wanted to. So I resorted to reading during meals (much to my parents' disapproval, but they gave up after reasoning that it a preferable "vice"), in bed, in the bathroom (only at home & for the solitude), commuting to & from school on public transit. I even turned down dates to stay home to read or paint--but that was because my down time was more important to the sense of self & those dates were not very appealing anyway.

As Kaylee Marie points out, outlook *is* everything. My habits have changed little in the years since school--I still read during meals if alone. Read during breaks at work & sometimes, in front of the telly to kill two birds with one stone.

As for Tarot--I squeeze that in through the daily draws, during breaks at work & during meals, too, if it does not conflict with the presence of others; whilst hanging out at Aeclectic. I plan ahead for client readings since those are left to whence home or 'off' work.

hedgecub

What about doing a daily 3-card reading every morning after you wake up? It'll take at most 10 minutes, will help warm up your brain, and is a good way of getting to know all those new decks you picked up over the summer. :)