need guidence

sarah4

hi,what is the diffence between oracle and tariot cards? as i have searched this site and have found no answers. also is it ok to buy more than one deck? thanks.sarah

MeeWah

sarah4: Welcome to Aeclectic Tarot's Oracle Decks!

Basically, all of those are oracle decks.

The basic differences in the number of cards in the deck & its pattern or system.

Tarot decks comprised of either only the 22 Major Arcana or 22 Major Arcana & 56 minor arcana to comprise total of a 78-card deck. They are based or take their inspiration from the 3 traditions of the Rider-Waite-Smith, the Aleister Crowley Thoth or the Marseilles. They may also be of particular themes such as mythology or an ancient civilization.

Oracle decks usually contain less than the 78 cards associated with Tarot. Examples of this would be Doreen Virtue's various angel decks.

Aeclectic Tarot has a comprehensive listing with sample cards of hundreds of decks:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/

MeeWah

One can buy as many decks as one wants. Likely this will happen with the association with this community, too :D

Edited to remove inadvertent quote of prior post.

sarah4

thank you meewah i have just bought the two angel oracle decks healing with angels and messages from your angels by dorren virtue.

Valerieb66

Questions..

I also have a question! :)

What is the different in 'use' between tarot and oracle? Do you use oracle also in readings? or only by drawing certain cards to help the tarot reading giving extra strength for a meaning?

And going back to real basic: why would you use oracle cards instead of tarot or vice versa? what makes oracle cards different from tarot cards (besides the number of cards, as explained above).

I can't find any anwers to this question on the forum.

Thanks!

zorya

there are no simple answers to any of your questions, as there are many different kinds of oracle decks, and many ways to use them. (the tarot is one kind of oracle deck)

often an oracle might be especially good for a specific type question. some oracles are completely inspirational. some oracles, like the soulcards, are designed to promote reading with your own intuition, rather than 'meanings'.

some oracles, such as the historic lenormand decks, are very specific and about daily life. for example, you could get a reading that tells you something like, ' don't trust a dark haired gentlemen that will deliver a message concerning a marriage.' :D

oracle decks can stand on their own and be read in spreads or pulled individually. they also can be used along with tarot, or in combination with other oracle decks. the book or little white booklet (lwb), that comes with each deck, will give you a spread or more, and instructions to get you started. you can also create your own spreads and uses. there really are no limits.

pepperi

I have both.....

I mostly use my oracle decks for spiritual questions. My tarot I use for all other questions. Unless they request a general reading, then I love to read with the goddess cards. Be Blessed Kat