tarot order

sarah4

i have read in a lot of threads that many of you put the cards in order after a reading. i have never heard of this and will do so now. just one question in which order do they go in? is it the major cards first fool on top down to world then the minor cards suits then aces to tens then the court cards so the bottom card is the king.

Sulis

Have you got on ok not putting your cards in order up till now? If so why change. If it ain't broken don't try to fix it is what I say.

I never bother putting my cards back in order unless I'm about to send the deck off in a trade - I just can't see the point - what is the point? As far as I can see putting them back in order after every reading will take you ages and then you're just going to shuffle them again.

If you have a good reason for wanting to start doing this then go for it but I wouldn't bother if the only reason you have is that you've heard it's what some other folk do.

Love

Sulis xx

kislany

Umm, maybe I'm doing it wrong, but after a reading, I put back the used cards and just shuffle the pack once more, and that's the end of it...

Alta

Either way seems fine. I rarely order my decks, usually for study purposes. And, I keep some decks in order to find cards quickly for use in Your Readings and study issues.

I use this order, but I'll bet there are others:

Majors, I put the Fool first, it can also go between Judgement and The World or at the end.

Then: Wands, Cups, Swords, Coins.

I forget why, I read that somewhere once and have followed it ever since.

Coins always seems to be the last suit.

In Thoth, it seems to be Majors, Fool first, then Courts, suit order as above, all four Aces, suit order as above and then the remaining minors.

sarah4

Sulis said:
Have you got on ok not putting your cards in order up till now? If so why change. If it ain't broken don't try to fix it is what I say.

I never bother putting my cards back in order unless I'm about to send the deck off in a trade - I just can't see the point - what is the point? As far as I can see putting them back in order after every reading will take you ages and then you're just going to shuffle them again.

If you have a good reason for wanting to start doing this then go for it but I wouldn't bother if the only reason you have is that you've heard it's what some other folk do.

Love

Sulis xx
no i have never done it. the order i have wrote out above is on the main site,i just copied it to see if that is the order it goes in to

Alta

To be clear, in my first, non-Thoth, arrangement the Courts would go with their respective minors, Ace through King.

Moonbow

I have a few decks that I keep in order, for the same reason as Marion says. If interpreting other people's spreads it's easier to find the cards. Most of my decks are shuffled and 'ready to go' :)

If I trade decks, I put them in the order that the system they belong to suggests - ie RWS decks and clones have the Fool at the beginning.

Otherwise, I occasionally put decks in order while I am studying them or just looking through them. (any order but Majors first with the Fool at the end - (it's the Marseilles in me)).

I really don't see the need to put them in order after each reading though, infact that would be a right pain. Getting them out of order takes alot longer, unless you are one of these people that throws their deck up in the air! eeewww... can't do it!

Genna

I´ve read in "78 Degrees of Wisdom" by Rachel Pollack,that the order of the suits is beacause of the Tetragrammaton (name of God);Yod=Fire,Heh=Water,,Vav=Air,Heh=Earth.This is because of the order in which God created the world.
I ´ve also spent a lot of time wondering about this before I read about it.I know people have other orders for the suits.

Abrac

I do keep my cards in order when I'm not using them. To me, the specific order isn't as important as simply finding a system you like.

Getting organized is the first step in any creative endeavor. When my cards are organized I feel more confident and in tune with the Universe, which itself is of course organized.

fools_fool

MeeWah

As Marion, only keep in order whatever deck I am studying.

Those I use are sometimes reshuffled after use or left as is & shuffled next time.

I order those decks I trade, too as a courtesy for the recipient to see the presence of all the cards.

Ordering suggested as a means of 'clearing' a deck after a reading/use, but not written in stone. As with any other practice associated with Tarot, a matter of personal preference or perception.