PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping with tarot under the pillow

icic
22-09-2005, 01:47
I'm currently trying to sleep with my tarot cards under my pillow in an attempt to bond with my cards. And since, I've more dreams than usual, I usually have dreams during nights, but now I seem to dream much more even till the minute I wake up in the morning.

Is this normal?

Ilithiya
22-09-2005, 02:24
It seems to be a common trend to remember more of your dreams after a change like this...

...we all dream, multiple times per night. A lot of it isn't even worth processing for your memory centers. In my opinion, the conscious mind expects unusual things to happen when you sleep with a deck under your pillow, and in its usual brainy way, processes and sends more of your dreams to its memory retention areas when you do.

I had that above all figured out for myself before I ever slept with a deck under my pillow and guess what? No additional remembered dreams. :D

Are you keeping a dream journal at the same time?

Illy

Umbrae
22-09-2005, 02:29
Here’s my take on the deal…

Your conscious mind is aware of the deck under your pillow (I place it between the bottom of the pillow and the pillow case so I don’t ‘loose’ the deck in my sleep – have it fall off the mattress into kitty toy land…), and when you place it under the pillow, it’s like sending a broadcast announcement to the subconscious or unconscious or biomedconscious or fight/flightconscious whatever…”Hey – gotta new Tarot deck here – gonna do some bonding – get busy and do your stuff girls!”

So you go to sleep.

I believe you dream the same amount as normal. The difference is that a portion of your brain is aware of it (cuz it got the broadcast message). Because you focus on the deck before going to sleep it may even alter the subject matter within the dream state.

But more importantly, perhaps we go to be a tad earlier and get up a tad later to spend more time sleeping with the cards – we end up sleeping in multiples of 90-minutes rather than 6 ½ or 8 hours.

I love Tarot Card Bonding dreams…they are wonderful wonderful dreams be it a scientific or spiritual or spooky reason, I just don’t care – I love Tarot dreams…

:smoker:

Al Si'ra
22-09-2005, 02:32
I always have very very weird dreams when i put my cards under my pillow..esp. happens when i put the Moon under my pillow..this card has a very strong energy...

jojojo
22-09-2005, 02:44
when you put them under your pillow do they have to be ordered?

icic
22-09-2005, 02:45
No, i don't keep a dream journal, but i seem to wake up to remember more dreams lately. I agree it's probably my conscious playing, but i was hoping there's maybe something more than just my brain, such as influenced by tarot's energy..or maybe i'll get more intuitive when i use my cards..

WalesWoman
22-09-2005, 03:48
My own opinion... mind, this is ONLY my opinion and not to be taken as judgmental... is it would have to be an uncomfortable hard lump and could wake up with a stiff neck, that real bonding comes with using them, becoming familiar with them.
I've slept with guys and it hasn't made me bond to them or them to me, only getting to know each other, communication and living with them over a long period of time has... I figure it's pretty much the same with tarot.

But what the heck... I'm gonna try it out tonight... I haven't had any memorable dreams of late so it would be interesting in the name of being more open minded and don't-knock-it-until-you've-tried-it... unscientific approach to this whole question of sleeping with decks under your pillow.

I'll be sure to update my findings.

Ross G Caldwell
22-09-2005, 04:19
I'm currently trying to sleep with my tarot cards under my pillow in an attempt to bond with my cards. And since, I've more dreams than usual, I usually have dreams during nights, but now I seem to dream much more even till the minute I wake up in the morning.

Is this normal?

I slept with my first deck, the US Games Rider-Waite, under my pillow. Of course I used and studied it all the time too. It was so long ago, I can't remember my dreams, but I'm sure I had them. I feel bonded with that deck even though I haven't used it in decades (I don't even have one in my possession right now).

I think I did the same with my first Thoth deck. I did a lot of things to provoke dreams, so I can't say I noticed anything "tarotic" about my dreams. However, both the Thoth and Waite-Smith images seem to have crept into my dreaming life over time...

I think it is normal to dream about things you think about constantly, or obsess over, or things that you hold dear.

The last object I put under my pillow was a copy of a 15th century manuscript. I didn't want to let it get far from me, even when I slept. I guess I still harbor the belief that spiritual "osmosis" might occur when I do that with treasured objects.

So think you're normal, absolutely!

Emily
22-09-2005, 10:59
The best tarot deck that I've ever dreamt with was the DruidCraft. I was in a village with the people off the DruidCraft, but in my dream I thought they were more like Vikings. It still remains one of the best dreams I've ever had.

Umbrae
22-09-2005, 11:12
Sort of a side note on the same subject…

Back when I was teaching folks at Nintendo, how to be Game Play Counselors – on the last day I used to ask folks ‘how many were dreaming in Video Game mode’. Those who raised their hands usually ended up being good at their jobs. Those who did not, usually did not last.

So I have to agree with Ross “I think it is normal to dream about things you think about constantly, or obsess over, or things that you hold dear”

And similar to WalesWoman, I’ve slept with women that I neither dreamed about and did not bond with…perhaps it was the shuffling…:smoker:

breathlessmahoney
22-09-2005, 12:00
I think it does. I'm usually one of those people who, upon waking, am completely unaware that I even dreamed, but with the deck under my pillow, without feeling it or anything, I have odd dreams that I remember. I think it is from the deck because this has happened to me, even when I forget the deck is there. Anyway, it sounds like my experience so I'd say it's perfectly normal.

full deck
22-09-2005, 14:40
Don't forget to shampoo often unless you want your deck to have that "old head" smell.

mythos
22-09-2005, 15:20
Tried it once ... woke with a horrible headache because the corner of the box had jammed between two vertabrae and dislodged the disc. After that ... no way!

mythos:)

WalesWoman
22-09-2005, 16:52
LOL... I mean, (((Mythos))) I'm sorry it caused that discomfort (understatement)

Was wondering... since we usually sleep with pillows... I've been using a feather one for the past six months or so... could that be why my brain has turned to fluff? Would having one or two pillows affect the "energy" of the deck getting to your head or whatever??? Would you have more vivid Tarot or whatever is under your pillow dreams with a thin pillow as opposed to one of those that is about a foot thick? Maybe that is a dense question... I mean a question of density.

Ok, I'll wash my hair with something that smells good first, wrap my deck in something soft, slip it into a ziplock baggie and put it in the pillow case...
someone said you have to do this for about a week atleast. HMMMMM I don't know if I can commit to that.

To be scientific I should do this with something else for a week as well. Something I don't normally dream about anyway...thin enough not to make an uncomfortable lump... a book I haven't read yet perhaps. Got a Carlos Castaneda, Immanuel Velavkowsy, the Book of Runes or Alaska Wilderness Medicine to choose from. Carlos is too think and hard bound... he's out. Maybe the Wilderness Medicine one... cause if it gives me headache from the neckache, I'll want to take a walk and unerringly find what I need to fix it. LOL

elancl
23-09-2005, 00:33
I've had pretty crazy dreams with decks under my pillow, but I've also had them without. I think we notice because we "expect" something to happen because we've been told, "by sleeping with it under your pillow, x will happen." (x being bonding, dreams, super-intuitiveness, whatever)

The "trick" I learned in college was to sleep with my textbook under my pillow before an exam. Granted since supposedly your brain remembers that which you look at right before you go to sleep the most and I would be reading said book before placing it under my pillow, that may have had more to do with my retention of details than anything else. BUT, I still do that today with theater scripts!

*wanders off mumbling* No wonder my scripts are falling apart after the second week of rehearsal all the time.

WalesWoman
23-09-2005, 13:00
I slept with Druidcraft last night... falling asleep was really hard... because I kept thinking about cards and all sorts of things Tarot related, but can't think of what they were... just a lot of random thoughts and laughing at myself in the meantime. Had to be stern with myself... shut up and go to sleep!!!

This morning I was vaguely disappointed, no vivid dreams or fantastical memories or sudden incredible deep insights... I over slept by almost two hours though. I'd planned to do a reading when I woke up, a daily or something, but being two hours behind and a date with the mechanic at 9 a.m., left no time.

Funny thing happened tho' today at work, for some reason my son came to mind and my boss mentioned seeing him this summer and the odd colors of hair kids choose to have these days. I said I hadn't heard from him for awhile, since he started college and almost said probably because he was walking a girl home, Claire. But how could I know that when he hasn't said anything about a girl and I haven't talked to him for a few weeks. Then I had to laugh, suddenly I remembered what I was dreaming just before I woke up, that he had a new girlfreind whose name is Claire, and that I thought it was sort of odd all my grown up sons had girl freinds whose name started with a C. My next thought was... wonder if her last name is Voyant? :D

I did wake up with a stiff neck and a headache, but it could be this cold I can't seem to shake loose since catching it in the first part of August. Ok, so tonight will be night 2... I hope the stiff neck isn't part of it.

mythos
23-09-2005, 16:07
The "trick" I learned in college was to sleep with my textbook under my pillow before an exam. .

I used to tape my study notes ... play them in the car, or when I was doing housework and stuff. I did try sleeping with the headphones on for a while ... had one of those tape-players that automatically reversed all night. Had nightmares when I was studying Freud ... and no! I don't have an Oedipus complex, nor an Electra Complex, nor am I in love with my grandmother's poodle! Anyway ... I gave up sleeping with headphones on after that!

Maybe I'll try taping interesting stuff about my decks ... sleep with tape on and see what happens. I'll probably end up being able to recite the ISBN numbers for all my decks .... stop it mythos .... silly ... you said interesting stuff! But what interesting stuff, now that is the question? Whether 'tis nobler to suffer the slings and arrows ... sorry, swords and pentacles of discontent ....

okay ... have major headache ... always carries a silly attack with it ... ignore all that you have just read. The only true bit is that I taped study notes and had nightmares while sleeping with Freud ... er ... so to speak ... but then ya would, wouldn't you! Now there is a man I never wanted to bond with! Yeech! Oh, and none of the aforementioned complexes .... and neither grandmother had a poodle, though Nana had a budgie named ... groan ... Sweetboy! Poor Sweetboy ... he became cat food ... but we don't talk about that! Not pretty, I can tell you!

mythos ... who is a little crazy today! What? you ask ... only today? :eek: ;)

amatista
27-09-2005, 03:49
Every time you put your deck under the pillow your making an invitation (consciently or not) to the tarot´s guardian to be or take care of you, if were to bed with a question in your mind or you have a worry this is a commun form to receive an answer without doing a spread.
Have a wise dreams!.
Amatista

bobbob
27-09-2005, 14:40

Is this normal?

I don't know about that but ever since I started messing around with tarot I've had more and more dreams. Now dream almost every night and never used to... It is weird.

Azarial
03-10-2005, 07:51
I took a nap with my Fantastical tarot deck under my pillow. I woke up with the worst headache that lasted for the rest of the day. But what was funny is that night I slept it without it under my pillow, but I had just the strangest dreams I have ever had. Maybe the decks energy rubbed off under my pillow or something? I have recently started keeping a dream journal to keep track of my dreams.

~Azarial~

bleu_bell
03-10-2005, 10:00
My order of the Golden Tarot finally came in yesterday.(Woohoo!! I love this deck, so beautiful. I feel more drawn to it more then any other I've seen to date.Thanks Kat!!) Anyway, I've never slept with any of my other decks before but thought I'd give it a try last night with this new deck. I had the most bizzare, unsettling, colorful dreams. Nothing scary or anything I can remember specifically, just those feelings upon waking. I don't know what that means or if, like some people said it's just because I knew they were there but it was interesting. I'm debating doing it again tonight just to see if it happens again.

Emelya
03-10-2005, 10:37
i have slept with ffo cards under my pillow before and now that i'm getting to know my new gilded tarot i sleep with them. but instead of using the whole deck i select several cards that i either identify with or know i need to know better. night before last it was temperance, the ace of cups and 2 of cups. i have problems with temperance but i'm working on it. i don't remember my dreams but they were quite restless. last night i chose the star, the moon and the two of pentacles. lovely dreams. best sleep i've had in ages.

knowledge griffin
03-10-2005, 11:11
the best way to bond with cards is with use. By having them near you, they will absorb your energy.

KG

bleu_bell
03-10-2005, 11:52
LoL..KG.. drooling on them in my sleep and waking up with them stuck to my face doesn't help me bond with them? Nuts! ;)

knowledge griffin
03-10-2005, 13:47
(:))

I'm just saying that since EVERYTHING has energy, we especially create an aura. Just like why I don't take my deck to school otherwise it will absorb that energy. The suns energy is everywhere during the day so it's a good idea to let your deck absorb some natural light every once and while.

But yeah. ZZZzzzz...... rrriippp!!! Oh man! That was my Lovers card. Well, it looks like it's time to break up! Lol.

KG

WalesWoman
03-10-2005, 14:31
I slept with Druidcraft last night... falling asleep was really hard... because I kept thinking about cards and all sorts of things Tarot related, but can't think of what they were... just a lot of random thoughts and laughing at myself in the meantime. Had to be stern with myself... shut up and go to sleep!!!

This morning I was vaguely disappointed, no vivid dreams or fantastical memories or sudden incredible deep insights...

Funny thing happened tho' today at work, for some reason my son came to mind and my boss mentioned seeing him this summer and the odd colors of hair kids choose to have these days. I said I hadn't heard from him for awhile, since he started college and almost said probably because he was walking a girl home, Claire. But how could I know that when he hasn't said anything about a girl and I haven't talked to him for a few weeks. Then I had to laugh, suddenly I remembered what I was dreaming just before I woke up, that he had a new girlfreind whose name is Claire, and that I thought it was sort of odd all my grown up sons had girl freinds whose name started with a C. My next thought was... wonder if her last name is Voyant? :D

I did wake up with a stiff neck and a headache.
I forgot to update... I called my son.
He doesn't know anyone named Claire ...Voyant or otherwise and definately doesn't have any girlfriends. So... I simply had an odd dream, but it was great talking to both my grown up boys that evening. :)

All I can say is... I tried it and once was enough for me.

Sophie
03-10-2005, 18:25
WW - I would think that sleeping with the Druidcraft under your pillow was like sleeping with a brick!! :D

I don't know about cards picking up energy - two of my decks have been round the world & through a few contemporary wars, and gave me good & loyal service throughout. They still do, and I've not felt any negativity emanating from them. I never did anything to "cleanse them", apart from wiping them when they got sticky. I take a deck around with me anywhere - even on the bus! I even read in smoky cafés & bars with them! :eek: ;)

WalesWoman
03-10-2005, 20:24
WW - I would think that sleeping with the Druidcraft under your pillow was like sleeping with a brick!! :D

I used a THICK pillow with a pillowcase that has a pocket fold so pillows won't squirm out. I do wonder though if the thickness of the pillow might prevent tarotosmosis, it wasn't working for me... maybe it was because I woke up to discover the deck had slid down into that and gravity took half of the pillow almost to the floor.

I hadn't slept on it at all. :laugh:

Sophie
03-10-2005, 20:37
I hadn't slept on it at all. :laugh:tss tss - such levity! And you expected results from thick pillows and sliding decks? You going to have to try again with the whole brick directly under your head. You think that spiritual breakthrough is supposed to be comfortable? All these tales of ancient ascetics scourging themselves have taught you nothing at all? It is supposed to be painful - or the cards will keep their deep-sleep secrets...

knowledge griffin
03-10-2005, 23:34
Well helvetica,

You might not have noticed it but the cards did pick up energy. Maybe since you change where the deck is, the energies are all combined and you just don't notice a difference. Or perhaps you're used to reading with cards that have absorbed lots of foreign energy. I'm going with the latter. Just because it absorbs other energy, doesn't mean it isn't going to work for you.

KG

bleu_bell
04-10-2005, 00:18
WalesWoman- tarotosmosis- I love it! Cracked me up. :)

Sophie
04-10-2005, 00:29
You might not have noticed it but the cards did pick up energy. Maybe since you change where the deck is, the energies are all combined and you just don't notice a difference. Or perhaps you're used to reading with cards that have absorbed lots of foreign energy. I'm going with the latter. Just because it absorbs other energy, doesn't mean it isn't going to work for you.KG - I don't believe it my lovely though battered pieces of cardboard absorb anything else but dirt on the way (which is why I wipe them). Energy makes a car move, the sun shine & me run for the bus. It isn't "absorbed" anywhere but circulates all the time & powers things & people in a physical manner. I don't believe either that there is negative or positive energy: there is just energy, though according to Chinese medecine energy can be "trapped" in a body (that is, its circulation is at fault). Nor do people pass on their bad moods or wicked thoughts onto the cards, though they might pass them onto each other, because we are sensitive emotional creatures. Very sensitive people can feel moods and thoughts in other people, and might call them "energy" (positive or negative), though they are really emotions created by the brain. I don't believe these emotions in any way affect our inanimate tarot cards, though our imaginations might make us feel they do ;)

TheOld
21-10-2005, 00:11
the Shamanism principe states that everythings is Living and have power, everythings can keep energy as everythings is made of energy!

Only the Ego when he feel isolated from his surrounding think that he's the only living creature that is alive.
The Rock are Alive
The Animals are Alive
The Trees are alive
The Planets are Alive
The Galaxy and the Cosmos is a Living Being
and the Tarots are also alive !

My tarot deck have a Name and a personalities that is all to HER (she's a feminine being)
some people can tell that it's my mind that is projecting but again it would be a separation viewpoint

The separation is an illusion (in the sense that it's a temporary view based on belief) beyound it there's a Unity, All is ONE

Love
Omeada

Sophie
21-10-2005, 00:20
Rocks are alive, definitely. I am a rock-climber, I know. Anything organic (trees, etc.) also, of course, and rather more actively than rocks. The energy in rocks moves very slowly - because the atoms of rocks move very slowly.

Cards, though manufactured, are also made up of moving atoms (slow-moving), therefore, have tiny energy charges.

My understanding of shamanic teaching is that shamans talk about these energies, albeit in allegorical rather than scientific language. Things "live & breathe" & have "spirit". I feel that too when I go climbing. David Peat, a physicist & longtime companion of the Blackfeet wrote a book about this - called Blackfoot Physics.

That's very different from saying rocks, trees & cards pick up the moods & the good or wicked thoughts or doings of human beings. I personally think that's nonsense.

redfairy
21-10-2005, 00:25
hi all,
all this talk about having dreams while putting the deck under ur head and sleeping, has me wondering....
when i put my deck under my pillow, i had the most restless nights, didn't sleep and did not really have any dreams (obviously unless i can dream with my eyes wide open!!)
the other day, i left my deck on my bedside table and the same thing happened, only this time, it wasn't only me who was restless and sleepless that night...
my baby whose cot was near that bedside table was also suffering from insomnia that night?
so , what gives?

TheOld
21-10-2005, 00:48
That's very different from saying rocks, trees & cards pick up the moods & the good or wicked thoughts or doings of human beings. I personally think that's nonsense.

There's magical object that old shaman used to fight and theses object are verry dangerous, a normal being (read non-initiated) who will took one of this object have a verry high propability of dying or at least be verry verry sick.

All this shamanic stuff are rejected by the scientific communauties because they see that as supertition and also there's some people that don't want enslaved people to free themself, but this is as real as anything you can see with your eyes, that's just another alternative reality!!!

i'v seen myself how an object like that can attract "bad" energys, how it can make everybody around have accident, you can ignore that but it will not make that not real for that, it will just give your power away to people like me who can manipulate theses energys !!!!

everybody got choice in life so i respect it, they can see or they can close theirs eyes...
i also have choice to say everythings that i want and theses things i just said are powerfull truth, now Act as you will.

Love, Light & Power
Omeada

Sophie
21-10-2005, 01:17
The Old - I've lived long years in Africa, I know about magical objects. These are deliberately manipulated by very well trained (and not always scrupulous) witches. I think a scientist (I am not one) might say that they are changing the atomic structure of the object & therefore its power.

But are you seriously saying that if I'm in a bad mood, or if I hand my cards to someone who cheats on his wife, my cards will take on this stuff? If it were that easy, then why study years to become a shaman or a witch?

catlin
21-10-2005, 01:39
Ok, backto sleeping with decks under the pillow: I have never ever done this because I think one of my furry bed compagnions would pull out the deck in the night while I am sound asleep, rip open the cards and scratch them or use them as a pillow or throw them around in the room...gives me shudders.

Flavio
21-10-2005, 02:06
Just recently decided to sleep with a deck, I used my faithful Hanson Roberts, but I died 2 times in dreams that week! so I left aside the Hanson Roberts, that happened about 3 week ago, last week I slept with my new Morgan Greer, nothing happened, no dream, no nightmares, nothing!

Later I realized my subconscious was screaming at me to use more often the Hanson Roberts as I haven't used it for a while.

TheOld
21-10-2005, 02:53
But are you seriously saying that if I'm in a bad mood, or if I hand my cards to someone who cheats on his wife, my cards will take on this stuff? If it were that easy, then why study years to become a shaman or a witch?

if so, you will be able to see that in looking at the cards, the card keep an imprint of what's in the life of the one who touch it.
A Shaman will let much more that a little imprint of his life on the card, as you said you can rearange the structure of the object and changes in energetic power at will.

Sorcery (Shaman/witch) is a question of Power!!!

Love, light & Power
Omeada

being_chrysalis
21-10-2005, 10:45
I used to tape my study notes ... play them in the car, or when I was doing housework and stuff. I did try sleeping with the headphones on for a while ... had one of those tape-players that automatically reversed all night. Had nightmares when I was studying Freud ... and no! I don't have an Oedipus complex, nor an Electra Complex, nor am I in love with my grandmother's poodle! Anyway ... I gave up sleeping with headphones on after that!

OMG I did this too in college. I started this in "Old Testament Studies" class and I know all night long I would wake just enough to hear my voice going on and on about prophetic vs. historical books, the plagues, no, Song of Solomon.. the metaphorical references to a messiah.. and so forth... I made a 98% on the test but whew.. that was a rough night! :)

catlin
21-10-2005, 23:29
LOL, Mythos and being_chrysalis, you made my day!!!

Isisrana
24-10-2005, 04:08
I just got the Thoth deck yday and last night put it under my pillow and wow yeah I had some amazing dreams regarding this person thats come into my life. I dont know why dreams about him came up (prolly cuz I think about him alot) but the dreams were really real and vivid, and its funny cyuz since Ive met him i havent had ANY dreams about him till I did this.
Think the cards are trying to tell me something?
-Rana

bdavis
25-10-2005, 19:47
and I had really strange dreams...Usually I don't remember very many dreams I have, but I remembered every one of them that night...So many different things happened in each dream..Like I just kept having dreams all night...must have dreamed awhile then woke up then dreamed aawhile more etc alnight long...
I ordered Goddess desk last week, can't wait to sleep with them and see what kind of dreams I have... Will let you all know ...

Michael
02-03-2006, 12:34
I had nightmares when I slept with my Mythic deck under my pillow. I can't remember much about it now but it was pretty scary at the time. :D

TheLovers2
02-03-2006, 17:49
I have never slept with a deck underneath my pillow (uh, that would be a little too close for comfort, I think :)) but, I have slept with decks before and recently with my Radiant Rider-Waite. Certain decks at certain times, I just want to be that close to, so I'll sleep with them near me in bed. I usually start off with it in my hand pressed to my chest. When I feel I'm really dozing off, I make sure it's "safely out of the way," but, still in the bed, so that I don't damage it in any way or wake up to find it on the floor.

I do know that my dreams are more memorable - somehow stronger when I sleep with one of my decks. I have been feeling really close to my RRW, so, I will be sleeping with it and my Bible (all snuggled up) over the next few days. I'll pay close attention to how things go.

TL2 :TLOVE

Sheri
02-03-2006, 17:54
I can't sleep with my RWS deck under the pillow. I have restless sleep ~ I think it might be disturbing dreams that I can't handle or control so I wake up (I do alot of lucid dreaming).

However, when I got the Tarot of Dreams, I was able to sleep rather well with them under my pillow. I guess I should have expected that :D

valeria

Knight of Wands
03-03-2006, 05:17
I went through a couple of weeks of sleeping with The Tarot of Mermaids. I put below the pillow, inside the pillow case :)

I think I'll try it with Gothic Tarot of Vampires now, although little bit worried the vampires will come and haunt me! })

KoW