Oracle Alma Bose

darwinia

I saw a couple of old threads on this and several examples of cards online.

Oracle Alma Bose - 67 cards - French - France Cartes - Nice art, landscapes and architecture.

Review at Wicce -
http://www.wicce.com/almabose.html

I like the art so much I don't care if I can read with them. Is there some place in North America to buy these? Thanks

darwinia

I'm generating excitement about these even if no one else will join me!

I have ordered an Alma Bose deck from amazon.fr with the Jeu de la Conscience de Ioana cards. I just felt I was up for a bit of exploration in French, and they can keep each other company on the plane.

I love the architecture on the Alma Bose cards. There are a couple of cards that remind me of M.C. Escher's early work where he travelled in Italy and sketched. How could anyone resist such a tie-in.

Very nice illustrative look to these, and lots of odd graphical bits rendered above the main graphic which mean something I'm sure, and are awaiting discovery.

Valerieb66

Ohh yes... these cards are absolutely beautifull!! Did you get it with a book? or is it just the deck self that you bought on amazon?

Well, I think you will be able to read with this deck..since there is an english translation to all the cards - and I guess you should, like tarot, just use your imagination/intuition on what they mean in a spread..

darwinia

Valerieb66 said:
Ohh yes... these cards are absolutely beautifull!! Did you get it with a book? or is it just the deck self that you bought on amazon?

They haven't shipped it yet--there was a 2-week waiting period, and I bought only the deck I am not aware of there being English instructions for this, does the LWB with the deck have multilingual instructions, or do you mean the cards are subtitled in English? (I never looked, I liked the art so much!)

I love cards that are different like this, especially if the art is remarkable, which I think this is.

Valerieb66

You really felt in love with these cards :)

Yes, the cards show english meanings on them - just saw some scanned ones from a website (which, i'm sorry, don't remember where I got that from)

and by the way... I know how it feels to wait long, very long for a beautiful deck. I ordered five decks (just started collecting) four weeks ago and still haven't recieved it (ordered it from US amazon and live in Dubai at the moment). But when you get the package...and open it.. wow ;-) what a feeling!

Let me know when you recieve them..I'd like to know what you feel for them.. and how they work for you.. 'cause i kinda have this feeling that I will be ordering them soon.. hihi

darwinia

Valerieb66 said:
You really felt in love with these cards :)

Yeah, I just knew--different system, different art, very alluring for me, I saw nothing else.

Let me know when you recieve them..I'd like to know what you feel for them.. and how they work for you.. 'cause i kinda have this feeling that I will be ordering them soon.. hihi

Okay, no problem, I think you were one of the pixies who enticed me into ordering the Goddess Guidance Oracle cards. <g> There is nothing like sharing one's enthusiasm, and amazon.ca just sent me a notice that they have shipped the GGO cards.

Summerdream

darwinia said:
I'm generating excitement about these even if no one else will join me!

I have ordered an Alma Bose deck from amazon.fr with the Jeu de la Conscience de Ioana cards. I just felt I was up for a bit of exploration in French, and they can keep each other company on the plane.

I love the architecture on the Alma Bose cards. There are a couple of cards that remind me of M.C. Escher's early work where he travelled in Italy and sketched. How could anyone resist such a tie-in.

Very nice illustrative look to these, and lots of odd graphical bits rendered above the main graphic which mean something I'm sure, and are awaiting discovery.

Hi Darwinia, I also have recently discoverd these little beauties online and am thinking about placing an order for them. I'm not sure how usable they are, but I love them for the artwork alone. I'd like to know you're reaction to them once you receive them.

Summerdream:)

darwinia

Worth every penny!!

I just got these today and I really like them. The cards have upright and reversed meanings--very short divinatory sentences, but the interesting thing is that the LWB lists combinations cards. So, if you look up card 40 for example in the numerical listing for combinations, it gives you selected combinations of card 40 when next to card X or Y in upright or reversed combination. Not all card combinations are listed, just a few deemed more dynamic perhaps?

Cards 31, 38, 39, and 40 have the same picture, and I immediately noticed that it is a cruder imitation of a very famous William Blake painting called "Albion Rose" from his book "Milton" showing the giant Albion, the Ancient Man, standing on a rock with his legs apart and his arms raised perpendicular to his legs against a spectacularly coloured orange/red/blue sun and sky.

If you have the William Blake Tarot, this painting is on card XXI Union. In the Alma Bose deck, the figure is the same with a greater mop of curly hair, only it is half hidden by clouds against a purple/blue sky. Very interesting. I have no idea what relation that might have to this deck as there are no notes about the imagery in the LWB, but it says to me that I am never letting this deck go!

The other thing I thought amusing was that it includes significator cards much like sibilla decks, except that in addition to the Man and Woman cards there is a third to denote a male or female homosexual. Reminds me of The Lovers cards in Stevie Postman's deck.

The glyphs on the significators are stylized genitals--a mons looking like a blue coffee bean, perhaps that new coffee Mons Bose, and a penis and testicles looking like a puffy satin pillow of that big needle the doctor uses to freeze your gums before he wrenches teeth out.

Ha, well, moving past my somewhat subjective observations of imagery, I was flipping through the booklet and came across this racy description of card #15. "Dionysiac aspect : licentious living, debauchery, promiscuity encounter with a promiscuous person or consultant frequenting promiscuous society." The reversed meaning is "Erotic fantasies." Turning to the card itself, I found a whole jumble of blue coffee beans and blue satin pillows with stuffed appendages heaped at the top of the card. The 3 significator cards and card #15 all have the same architectural graphic too.

Sly boots, you could read these at your Gran's and she'd never know the connotation. She'd be asking you to pick up some freshly ground Mons Bose for her at Starbuck's.

Seriously though, I like that someone put a bit of thought into these. It is quite obvious there is more to them than pretty pictures, including a touch of wry humour.

I mentioned earlier that one or two of the pictures reminded me of paintings M.C. Escher did on a trip to Italy in 1922 after he left school, and again used in some of his woodcuts. So I'm starting to wonder if maybe I was right and the deck artist (who is uncredited) has done an imitation of one of Escher's early works showing the red roofs and white walls of quaint Italian towns? There is a precedent with a Blake painting, so you never know.

Anyway, European decks are often without art references, you have to find out and explore yourself which is the kick for me. Another winner of a deck for me.

Good quality cards in a fairly large size too. VERY neat-oh. A little depth, a little shimmer of blue/green scales dashing about under the water. . .