Doing Readings by heart...

YogaSpider

Hi All,

I have been learning the Tarot in a relaxed way for a year now and only since recently I started to really study and really dive into it. I practice every day now and enjoy it so very much AND I found this wonderful site to my great happiness...

As soon as my friends noticed that I was doing readings for myself they begged me to do readings for them. With every reading I would surround myself with books and do need to consult them cuz I do not know every meaning by heart yet.

I am in awe of those who no longer need consult the books during readings but are so familiar and so at ease with the cards as if they were good and old friends.

My question is, how long did it take you to leave the books and do it by heart/ from the top of your head / feelings?
(Gawd I am so impatient...)

Thank you,
YogaSpider

bladeraven

Good question...it's almost like riding a bike without training wheels...for me...it was finding that right deck that really just connected to me to the point that I could do readings without having to pick up the book..when I do know it's more for studying and continuing my learning though there are times I get that questioning...now why is that card there...that I have to grab a book to figure out what caused that one or two card to appear in a certain position.

YogaSpider

Depends on the deck, eh?

I am working with the RWS deck and never have been interested in another deck in order not to confuse myself.

BUT since I found AT, I saw many beautiful, beautiful decks and I was wondering... hmmm, maybe it is time to try another deck as well in order to enhance my learning and have more associations and feelings with the Tarot.

bladeraven

I think when you work with different decks it definitely challenges you and expands your horizons...another thing you may want to consider to are Oracle decks...they are really great and a wonderful way to meditate and work on a subconsious level.

YogaSpider

Oracle Deck

Bladeraven,

I am very curious about the Oracle deck, especially the meditation part attracts me. In order to stay on topic in this thread I have posted another question in the Decks forum...

Thanks!
YogaSpider

VGimlet

Well, I would say let go of the books. You may be surprised at how well you do, even if it takes a few readings for you to get comfortable using your intuition.

I love books, don't get me wrong. When I'm doing my in-depth studies, I sometimes have stacks of books as references.

But, there comes a time when you have to take the leap. Even if you don't feel quite ready. Like bladeraven's training wheels analogy; presonally I would still be riding a bike with training wheels if my dad hadn't just taken them off one scary day. The same with books. I finally decided, "I'm going to try it without. Even if I get stuck, I'm just going to slow down, and think it out." It was scary, but satisfying, and I've never looked back.

Umbrae

I started reading without books - just a WCS and me and a sitter.

I didn't read a book until I'd read for about 25 yrs.

and I never worried about being right or wrong. I had (and have) a faith in the cards. The cards provide the answers for me.

YogaSpider

I hear you guys... definitely. Just tonight I said to myself, just look at the card, step inside of it and what do you feel? What do you sense? Where does your mind wanders of to? What do you visualize?

It is the trusting upon yourself and upon the cards.

I am going to do spreads for myself and start interpreting the cards without the books, write it down, and then afterwards check the books... Cuz I am still a pupil..

Journaling helps me too tremendously, I bought some paper with mild/soft rainbow colors in the background... makes it so much more fun in a way...

Thnx Umbrae and VGimlet for your input.

Citrin

Don't get stuck with "standard meanings".

You'll be surprised how much your own intuition knows when you put the books away and just let the cards speak to you. Really look at the cards - What do you feel? What is happening in the card? How does it relate to your/the querent's situation/emotions?

Try it for about a month. Put EVERY book away and let your intuition be a part of your readings. I'm sure you'll never want to blindly follow an author's interpretations again. :)

rcb30872

I'm with Citrin. I look at the card, then think of what the card represents, then I start typing, then not really give it much thought, the first thing that pops in mind. Which makes me think, I have just pulled that out where the sun doesn't shine, but for some reason, most of the time, it is on the money, according to the feedback I get.

However, it is not always the case, I guess a lot of it is in regards to who you are reading for, I remember one reading for someone, I was that confused, had no idea what any of the cards meant, had to look in my book, a rare thing, nowadays, as it turned out it is all because of the person I was reading for was confused (or so they said)!!

Bec